Cakes I Just Baked!

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 13 Apr 2005 , 7:13am by SarahJane

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 4:53am
post #1 of 14

I BAKED SOME CAKES TONITE... WHERE DO I PUT THEM FOR DECORATING TOMORROW??

13 replies
melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 4:55am
post #2 of 14

You can just cover them so they dont' dry out, and leave them on the counter.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 4:59am
post #3 of 14

make sure they are covered well so you don't get any dry spots...nothing worse than dry cake!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscakes

make sure they are covered well so you don't get any dry spots...nothing worse than dry cake!

Which can be easily fixed with simple syrup....
1 part water to one part sugar, boil together until sugar is dissolved (stirring while boiling), allow to cool and brush onto dry cake with pastry brush, or place into squeeze bottle and squeeze out onto cake and allow to soak in.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 14

I have to say I finally tried the simple syrup! It is just like magic!! I had gone to an anniv party and had some of the cake. The edge was HARD. I thought what would I do?? I wouldn't want someone to eat one of my cakes and have to eat this!! So the next cake I made I tried this (as a just in case thing!!) It really does work. I used it on another cake that I was trying a new recipe for. I tried the cake and it was dry! So... here comes the simple syrup! The cake was sooooo much better. I'm telling you, magic icon_smile.gif!! Ok, enough of my rambling! Just thought I would share.

Charlotte

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 7:48am
post #6 of 14

You can also add flavorings to your simple syrup. I've done this before. It adds a nice extra flavor.
SARAH

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 14

could you add regular vanilla. the brown kind???

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 14

charlieinMO,

Did using the simple sugar syrup soften up the sides of the cake that was dry and hard?

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 14

Yes it did!! I am sometimes a skeptic so I left one corner that I didn't put anything on so that I could compare it to the others. You could feel the difference!! Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

Charlotte

susanmm23 Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 14

how much do you put on. you obviously dont want to soak the cake or it would get soggy. when do you put it on rigth out of the oven or after it has cooled?????

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscakes

Which can be easily fixed with simple syrup....
1 part water to one part sugar, boil together until sugar is dissolved (stirring while boiling), allow to cool and brush onto dry cake with pastry brush, or place into squeeze bottle and squeeze out onto cake and allow to soak in.

so, 1/2 c. water to 1/2 c. sugar.
should you automatically do this to a cake that has been left out?
how soon after you do this can you ice it?

SarahJane Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 14

You can definetely use brown vanilla. It goes into the cake, so noone will even notice the color. I just brush on the syrup so that it looks slightly wet but not soggy and then I do the dam and fill and frost it right away. If you let it dry back up before you ice it, it kinds of defeats the purpose of the syrup. By icing it right away you kind of hold in the moisture. Be careful with the amount of flavoring you add to the syrup, it doesn't take much. The first time I tried it, I added rum flavoring. And a little went a long way. It was too strong of a flavor. Good luck all. SARAH

susanmm23 Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 11:06pm
post #13 of 14

ok so im making my cakes on thursday and decorating on friday so i should wait until friday right as im going to begin decoratinmg??? sorry if i seem stupid but iw ant to make sure my cakes are super moist. My first one for my inlaws to taste. SO im kind of nervous. even though i know i can bake great cakes.

SarahJane Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 7:13am
post #14 of 14

Either put the syrup on and ice it on thursday and decorate on friday or wrap it in plastic wrap plain and do the syrup and icing on friday right before you decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%