Quick Poll. Favorite Cake Mix

Decorating By angelas2babies Updated 12 Feb 2006 , 5:32pm by tabs8774

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 57

It's on. War of the mixes.

I have read through some old threads and have used 2 different mixes this week. My local grocery store has dropped prices on Pillsbury mixes...which makes me wonder why... icon_confused.gif

What does everyone like? Doctored or otherwise, what is your preference if you're going to use a mix. I'm curious to see if there is a strong contender, or if it's just preference.

Thank you!!!
Angie

Pillsbury...Betty Crocker...Duncan Hines?

What's your pleasure?

56 replies
Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 57

Duncan Hines is my favorite. I know that a lot of people on this site talk about a "chemical taste" in mixes, but I have yet to taste it. And when people eat my cakes and then find out they are from a mix, they can't believe it. I love the DH and haven't had a bad cake yet from it!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 57

I agree...Duncan Hines is my favorite now. I used to use only Pilsbury, but a doctored up DH is all I use now.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 57

Betty Crocker & Duncan Hines are my favorite.

I do NOT like Pillsbury at all. It's way to dry.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 57

I like Duncan Hines, too. Very Moist and delicious.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 57

DH, it is all i use any more, I do add meringue powder for extra volume. I did a scratch cake and no one in the family liked it.

Jenny_nyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny_nyc Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 57

Duncan Hines is my favorite too. When people rave about the wonderful taste and moistness of the cake I don't tell them it came from a mix! I haven't tried doctoring the mix yet, I just make it as noted on the box.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 57

I like Betty Crocker Butter Pecan.DH mixes are more money!! We don't get Pilsbury here!!

Laurel icon_biggrin.gif

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 57

DH, of course, the moistest all around. Every time I go to my store, I noticed most DH products are easily understocked. Pillsbury is one of the least popular and they alway put discount price on it, like 2 for $1.89.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 57

I use betty crocker and DH interchangably. They are both great. However I do doctor them quite a bit. I don't like the flavor of pillsbury and the cakes don't come out as moist in my opinion.

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 57

The DH at the Walmart in my area is 78 cents a box. Can't get much cheaper than that!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:05pm
post #12 of 57

I am a Pillsbury fan all the way!

I find that it is very moist. I usually add a box of pudding and an extra egg to my mixes no matter which brand I use.

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 57

I like Duncan Hines ( its great on its own) icon_biggrin.gif and I have fallen in love with the 3-D (enhanced cake mix) from this site!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 57

Thanks luv2cake! I thought I was going to have to be the lone Pillsbury gal! I am just the opposite of most-I think DH is way too wet. And my lab rats and I didn't care for the taste either. For my taste Pillsbury has the right amount of moistness. I always doctor the mixes now but before I used to I never found the Dough Boy to be dry. Surfergina-I'm coming to Daytona because I can never find Pillsbury on sale!

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 57

Duncan Hines is the way for me, never use any thing else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:27pm
post #16 of 57

My preference is in order:
Duncan Hines
Betty Crocker
Pillsbury

DH is what I usually use, but sometimes will do a BC. I almost NEVER do a Pillsbury. And when I see the DH or BC on slae, I stock up. WM for the .78 or local grocery store sometimes does .89.

angelas2babies Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:29pm
post #17 of 57

A lot of Duncan Hines fans. It's 78 cents at my local Wal Mart, too, and sometimes there are coupons, too, so you can't beat the price!

Isn't it hard using a mix that is too moist if you are frosting and layering? I just made a Pilsbury mix, and it turned out very moist, and it was very hard to frost...plus, I'm new at this and I'm horrible on top of it all... icon_redface.gif

Thank you for all the replies and comments.
Angie

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:32pm
post #18 of 57

My best friend loves it when someone asks her if she will get my recipe, and she tells them Duncan Hines. They say it's too moist to be that and she just laughs !! So definately DH icon_lol.gif

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 57

I like Pillsbury the Best. Every time I try to use Duncan Hines, especially the white, it sticks to the pans. I NEVER have that problem with Pillsbury. And I find that I get more compliments with the Pillsbury regarding taste and Moistness. And I can find it on sale more often than not. Our local Grocery chane recently had it on sale 2 for 1.00! I stocked up!!!

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 57

I'm with pillsbury; it doctors the best for me, and very moist, especially with the butter and milk added to it. The others don't bake well for me when I doctor them, although I do like the DH fudge cake. I find that I can do anything to a pillsbury mix, and it still bakes beautifully. I honestly have had excellent feedback in response to my cakes; I think it has to do with all the extra flavors added.

JamieL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieL Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:38pm
post #21 of 57

This may sound weird, but it depends on the flavor. I have had the best response to Pillsbury's dark chocolate cake for chocolate cakes, compared to any of the other chocolate variations--regular, fudge, etc. I have also had lots of favorable reviews with Betty Crocker's party confetti (not sure if I have that right--it's white with colorful bits inside, but not angel food cake).

Add-ins are nice, too, depending on the flavor.

I love threads like these because I'm always curious to see what others prefer, but you never know. When I started making candy, everyone, and I mean, everyone, with maybe 3 exceptions, said that Merckens candy melts were their favorite brand and they wouldn't use anything else. Well, I tried Wilton, Nestle, and Merckens, and I got the best response to the chocolate and dark chocolate from the Wilton and Nestle brands, and while the Merckens vanilla (color) flavors taste-tested better, they were more temperamental to work with than the other two.

I always have it in the back of my head that I'll do a yellow cake tasting party and see what gets the most votes, but I haven't tried it yet. icon_smile.gif

angelas2babies Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:48pm
post #22 of 57

I love the tasting party idea. icon_smile.gif

Angie

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 8:47pm
post #23 of 57

I usually use Pillsbury. Have had a lot of success with it and at my local walmart it's only about .88 cents a box. I've never thought it was too dry. I've been buying the cake with the pudding in the mix and I think it's just perfect. I don't like Better Crocker as well and it's been so long since I used Duncan Hines that I really don't remember what I didn't like about it!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 8:51pm
post #24 of 57

I've tried them all and prefer Duncan Hines.

I like the firmer texture and it seems like I get more batter ....

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 11:23pm
post #25 of 57

I'm a pillsbury freak! I have used it for more than 25 yrs. Over the years I have tweaked it to make it "my recipe" though. I use buttermilk instead of the water, and add my homemade vanilla extract.
Go ahead, try it, I dare ya. (Just kidding about the dare thing.)

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 12:07am
post #26 of 57

The one's that on sale!

sueschev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueschev Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 12:22am
post #27 of 57

Duncan Hines. I too am asked for recipe when I use Duncan Hines yellow cake mixes.

sueschev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueschev Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 12:22am
post #28 of 57

Duncan Hines. I too am asked for recipe when I use Duncan Hines yellow cake mixes.

partsgirl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partsgirl25 Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 1:42am
post #29 of 57

the only kind i don't really like is some store brands, but i prefer dh.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 2:40am
post #30 of 57

my husband raves about the cake when i use pillsbury, when i use dh, he says it's good, but did i not doctor it up? so pillsbury gets my vote. my husband can taste the difference in adding an extra 1/4 tea almond to the frosting. he's my official taste tester because he's so picky. it all tastes the same to me after awhile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%