Baby Bassinet ???

Decorating By dshlent Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 11:02pm by Jenn1978

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 12

HELP... I am wanting to do a baby bassinet for a baby shower in two weeks. How do you put it together. I have been reading about them here at CC but not sure about putting the hood on. Do you put in "on" the bed part or do you set it up against the bed part? Does this make sense?

TIA,
~Heather

11 replies
khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 12

I have two baby bassinets in my gallery. The gumpaste one has a white floral wire holding the hood. The second one, the hood is made of fondant that I shaped around a big mixing bowl and let dry. Then I placed it on the cake and it stood on its own.

dshlent Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 12

Sounds great but I haven't learned how to do fondant or gumpaste. My class has been cancelled 2-3 times now and today was suppose to be my first day for the Wilton III class. So all I pretty much know how to do right now is buttercream. Kind of limits me huh...

Thanks,
~Heather

khoudek Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 12

If you've done course 2 then you know how to do royal icing or color flow and you can make the bassinet out of those. You'd have to find or draw template pieces and then pipe them in, let dry, then connect with royal ice to dry again. Or you can do the same with white chocolate melts.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 12

It wouldn't be three dimensional, but have you thought about doing a bassinet in color flow. You would still be able to stand it up. Otherwise, I'd just say to get some fondant or gumpaste, read the directions, and try it. It couldn't hurt to try. You have to have a first time somewhere along the line. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

dshlent Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 12

Yeah.... I could try that!!!!! What would be a good idea for a mold or templete??? HUMMMM...

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

~Heather

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 12

Search the Wilton site for "angels". The template for the cake I made for my niece's baptism is called "angels watching over thee" and it has a pattern for a bassinette/ crib that you can use for colorflow. You can see it in my pictures.

The link to the wilton patters is:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/patternlocator/index.cfm

HTH

khoudek Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 12

Gumpaste is really pretty easy. Here's the link for the instructions for the one I did; http://www.pastrywiz.com/cakes/babycrib.htm

But if you still don't want to try it you can make templates easy too. I've made my own templates using graft paper. I tend to use straight lines, keep it simple, then trace the template onto parchment paper. If you think simple, you'll need four sides; two long and two short. You'll need a bottom of the bassinet. Draw the templates as squares and rectangles that when pieced together will fit in size.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 12

I am doing another one of my very popular bassinet cakes today, so I am right at the point of constructing the hood. Here's what I do... I take a clear funnel and trim off the funnel 'tube' part, and about 1/3 of the funnel itself (see pic below) then I put a piece of tape over the hole the tube left so I can frost over it. Then I frost the inside with BC, and do either ruffles or basketweave on the outside of the 'hood' AFTER I attach it to the cake. To attach I simply press it down onto the iced cake so that the edge sinks into the frosting and sticks. Let me know if this is in any way unclear! Check my pix to see the finished product. It turns out really cute! (And I get a set of three funnels for $1 at the dollar store, so I can do three different sized cakes all for the $1!!)

Aw heck, you don't wanna dig through my pix... here's a link. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Melvira&cat=0&pos=69
LL

georgies_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgies_girl Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 12

I did this one using an oval pan and the wondermold pan. Just cut the wondermold pan in half for the top.
LL

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 12

dshlent,

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you directions. I have two bassinetts in my photos. thumbs_up.gif

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 12

I do my bassinette hood using the 3-d egg pan with royal frosting. After it completely dried I just gently squeeze the sides of the egg pan and the hood slides right off. I then just place it on the cake when Im all done decorating.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%