Will Somebody Please Tell Me The Difference?

Baking By isabelianico Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 1:14am by mjs4492

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:44am
post #1 of 11

Will somebody please help me out? I'm sorry I have so many questions...I just am so confused. What is the difference between: Marzipan, Fondant, Modeling Paste, Sugar Paste, Gumpaste, Chocolate Molding Clay etc...if I have missed in different types will you please tell me? Also where can I find recipes for each or just buy them? Thanks for all your help.

10 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:56am
post #2 of 11

Marzipan is made from almonds and is used as candy - or for modeling. In England, it's commonly used to cover cakes with, underneath a layer of fondant.

Fondant and sugarpaste are the same thing. Fondant is used to cover cakes and dries somewhat slowly. Gumpaste is more elastic, dries quickly and is used for making figures or flowers.

Modeling clay is chocolate and corn syrup and is used in much the same ways - either covering cakes, figure modeling, making some flowers (roses can be made with this - but others are much harder).

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 1:06am
post #3 of 11

That is a big question! icon_smile.gif

The recipe section here should have all or most of those. Wilton mags have some. Google search. Cake deco books from the library.

Here are some random thoughts (and to the best of my knowledge.)

Marzipan is made from ground almonds. Have you ever seen those little fake fruits around Christmastime? Most likely marzipan. Used under petit four icing or under fondant.

Fondant and sugarpaste are the same thing. Homemade version is MMF (marshmallow fondant). Fondant is what you'd use to cover a whole cake or make cutout decorations. Also used for modeling, just needs plenty of time to dry.

Gumpaste used for delicate modeling, like flowers, dries really fast.

Chocolate Molding Clay I've also heard called Candy Clay. Made with candy melts. Wilton mags have recipe. Tastes like a Tootsie roll.

You can make or buy any or all of these. Personal preference. Buying it is expensive, but premade fondant, in particular, rolls out super easy.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 1:15am
post #4 of 11

there are also diff grades of Marzipan...only the purest marzipan is the lightest color...less skins!

the coarsest grind is best for baking...and it is less expensive

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 1:32am
post #5 of 11

Ok here goes,
rolled fondant is a highly dense form of sugar that can be rolled and smoothed to almost perfection. It can also be used to make additions, flowers, ribbons and anything you can imagine really.
Gum paste is similar and is better used for additions like flowers and bibs, etc. It dries much faster than rolled fondant so it is better to work with at times depending upon your project.
Marzipan (almond paste) is in itself ground almonds blended with a bit of sugar. It is strong in taste and is used under rolled fondant. It stabilizes a cake, adds flavour and is not used for decorations except for fruit and vegetables. It is very expensive to do this and since most people do not like a lot of heavy icings they tend to stay away from this one. The english and europeans use this a lot and sometimes it is all they cover their cakes with.
Most of the recipes you are looking for are on the site. Just look up a particular name and it should pop up then you can save it to your favourites.
Sugar paste, pastiallage chocolate modeling clay are all various types of edible play dough. They are all based in sugar and are used for different decorations. It all depends on your preference and final look that you wish to achieve.
It is best to make your own products since they tend to have a better flavour. For instance, Wilton is a mass marketer of fondant but most people don't like the taste. They prefer home made fondant like that of Toba Garrett's. You can google her name and get some of her recipes or you can go to the library and take out some of her books.
There is even rolled buttercream which is a tastier option and cheaper than other options.
I hope this helps and good luck.
Your local library is a good source for decorating books. If you like them then you can always go and purchase them but it saves you if you don't.
Claire

isabelianico Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 1:53am
post #6 of 11

Wow you guys! Thank you so much! You are all so knowledgable icon_biggrin.gif I really had no idea and you all made it so easy to understand. I will be sure to use this information in making my next figures and flowers!

donna2440 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donna2440 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 11

Thank You but what teast the best?

isabelianico Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 11

Honestly, I think it's just personal preference. If I were to go with fondant, I would definitely do the MMF because it tastes so much better and I prefer that taste over Gumpaste.

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #9 of 11

I have never worked with fondant before, but I promised to make a friend a cake with some figures on it. I had made some MMF last night, tasted it, and it was pretty good. Tonight, though I wasn't sure there was enough for what I had left to do, and I needed some more colors, so I ran by Michaels to pick up some Wilton fondant. That will be the last time I'll take the easy way out.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif OH MY GOSH!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

A complete waste of money. I will have to tell my friend which figures are for looks only! The figures done with the Wilton fondant are completely inedible. The MMF recipe is easy and the fondant is good. Never, I repeat, NEVER buy the Wilton fondant. I only wish I had listened to others on CC.

donna2440 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donna2440 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:57am
post #10 of 11

Thank You so much. I'm all about the teast and the looks of my cakes.
To me it's no good if it don't TEAST GOOD!!
Is MMF easy to work with?? I'm going to try this week-end
Thank you for any hits!!!!!! icon_wink.gificon_confused.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:14am
post #11 of 11

Never worked with MMF so can't help you out there.

Caljava.com has a fondant called White Chocolate Rolled Fondant that tastes wonderful in my opinion. It comes in lots of different flavors (raspberry, vanilla, chocolate, etc.) and works easy.
SatinIce is another brand of fondant that has a really nice taste. It's on a lot of sites online. Cakedeco.com and CountryKitchens.com is where I buy it.
I don't care for the taste of Wilton's fondant but it's great for molding anything with.

If you mix Gumpaste in with any of the fondants, your figure/flower/etc. will dry faster and harder. I use it when making bows that attach to sides of cakes. I just tell people that their decorations and don't really taste to good because their so stiff.

Have Fun!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%