Wilton 1 Question

Decorating By Zamode Updated 28 Jan 2006 , 4:44am by TexasSugar

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 19

It says bring a bath towel to class--is that a body towel you'd dry with or a hand towel? icon_confused.gif

18 replies
alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 19

I took two kitchen towels with me.

hope this helps you.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 19

A big towel. The idea is that you can lay that over your work area then when class is over you can roll up your mess and take it home. icon_smile.gif I always tell my students this is an optional thing, and they don't have to do it.

Now a hand towel would come in handy during class as well.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 19

A bath size towel. It is used to place underneath your work area to keep the table clean. We didn't use it as the teacher put down a plastic table cloth.

Gail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gail Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 19

hi.....when I took the class, we took a regular body towel. You put it on the desk and work off of it. Easier to clean up your mess that way. I loved the classes and learned so much. Good Luck !!!

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 19

They just want you to have a large towel to cover your work area for easy clean up. At my Michaels we use the big rolls of paper to cover the whole tables instead.

Kelly

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 19

When I took course 1 I took a wet kitchen cloth in a baggy along to clean off my equipment, practice board, hands etc. Just a thought!!

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 19

My instructor told me that is used to cover the table. But she used brown paper to cover the table--at Michaels. You can bring a kitchen towel and put it in a baggy to wipe you hands off or keep your tips covered. I just brought a few dry & wet paper towels. This way I could throw out or wrap my bags up for the trip home.

Zamode Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 3:50am
post #9 of 19

We had brown paper on the table too...I will bring both with me if I go. icon_redface.gif

Mslou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mslou Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 3:56am
post #10 of 19

We use a small bath towel because we have a small room. My students use it to define their area and keep track of their supplies.

Zamode Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:03am
post #11 of 19

Define their area.... I like that, Mslou! My cake space! Mine!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:03am
post #12 of 19

At my class last Monday night I finally asked the instructor why in the world we needed to bring a bath sized towel...I'd brought mine every week and we'd never used it!? lol She didn't have a clue because it wasn't something she included on her supply list for us...didn't even realize it was listed in the course book for each class...lol. We finally figured out what it was meant for (to cover your work surface for easy clean-up) but then laughed about it because the tables were covered with paper. icon_rolleyes.gif I usually take 2 kitchen towels to use for clean up...there's a sink in the classroom, so I can wet the rag when I get there, then I keep the other one dry and use it to dry off my tools, couplers, etc after I rinse them between uses/colors or whatever. Though they have a sink in there, and even a soap dispenser, there's NEVER been any soap IN the dispenser, even though we've requested it from the Michael's employees every week! icon_mad.gif So next Monday I'm taking some dish soap with me...makes washing your hands and rinsing out your tips and couplers (when changing colors or something) a lot easier.

Zamode Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:09am
post #13 of 19

There seems to be alot of stuff you have to bring to class. I don't know how I am going to pack it all. Do you need everything listed under what to bring for class 2 or 3 or whatever? Some tips and whatnot are not in the student kit and I don't want to buy what I don't need. For instance, I didn't buy tip 2010 because I don't want to do a star cake.

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:09am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

...We finally figured out what it was meant for (to cover your work surface for easy clean-up) but then laughed about it because the tables were covered with paper. icon_rolleyes.gif .... So next Monday I'm taking some dish soap with me...makes washing your hands and rinsing out your tips and couplers (when changing colors or something) a lot easier.

Yes the brown paper is there to protect the table, but let me tell you, it is not fun to rip off and recover after every class. I ended up getting cheap table clothes from Big Lots (next door) and use them so I just have to wipe them off, fold them up and go.

As far as the sink, hmmm, my students aren't allowed to use it for more than washing their hands. I know there is already enough stuff from the other classes being washed down it I try to keep crisco out of it. I do keep a container of baby wipes in the class that we use to wipe off supples.

Baby wipes work well on your hands to get off the buttercream as well.

Zamode Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:14am
post #15 of 19

Texas Sugar, that is what I was planning on bringing--WetOnes or baby wipes. We are not allowed to use the sink at all. She said the bathroom sink--ew--if we bring soap.

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:25am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

There seems to be alot of stuff you have to bring to class. I don't know how I am going to pack it all. Do you need everything listed under what to bring for class 2 or 3 or whatever? Some tips and whatnot are not in the student kit and I don't want to buy what I don't need. For instance, I didn't buy tip 2010 because I don't want to do a star cake.

Okay I don't have my book with me, so this is by memory. Also keep in mind every instructor is a little different, this is just what I do.

I always tell my students not to worry with the 2010. We don't practice it in class. I will pull mine out and show it, but that is it.

Piping gel, (list in L2) if you are going to take Course 3 you will use it there as well.

Tip #1, listed in Lesson 3, if you are going to take Course 2, having this tip will come in hand. There will be one night in C2 that you will use two Tip 1's (one comes in the C2 kit). In the C1L3 you can use the tip 1 to do the faces on your figuring piping.

Okay this is all I can think of at the moment. If there is anything else you have a question about, you can PM me if you want.

I will say that after a few lessons you will see what you do use in class and what you don't. Something I can think of that isn't listed that would help is spoons or extra spatulas so you can have one for each consitancy/color of icing. That will help save you time.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:33am
post #17 of 19

LOL, some years ago when I was a noob instructor, I attended a 2-day Wilton teaching seminar, where the teach the teachers how to teach courses 1, 2, and 3. icon_wink.gif They told us the towels were for our students to "mark their territory" so their neighbors wouldn't be elbowing into their space.

Luckily, my store has a large classroom and my students spread out over several tables so space is never an issue. I cover the tables with those wide rolls of plastic table cover so at the end of class I can roll it all up and chunk it. We don't have the rolls of brown craft paper.

Zamode Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:35am
post #18 of 19

Thank you Texas Sugar. Let me get my booklet for any questions, I appreciate that. I did buy tip #1 because I thought I would use it anyway and I already had an 8" and 13" spatula already. I bought the "tackle box" caddy, which I think covers courses 1 and 2 (correct me if I am wrong). I already looked ahead a little to some of the future courses and briefly to the student kits. I have fondant already and also the piping gel.

I hate to miss class. icon_redface.gif

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:44am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

I bought the "tackle box" caddy, which I think covers courses 1 and 2 (correct me if I am wrong). I already looked ahead a little to some of the future courses and briefly to the student kits. I have fondant already and also the piping gel.
I hate to miss class. icon_redface.gif

The 50 pieces or 101 piece took caddies do have what you would get in the course one kit plus some more. But you will still need to purchase the C2 and C3 kids. Course 2 kit will come with some more tips, flower formers and two small oval cake pans. I think the oval pans are really nice as you use one cake mix for the two. They are what you use for your final cake in C2.

Feel free to email me anytime if you have any questions. I'm happy to help. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%