Wilton Gumpaste Course

Decorating By jburbie Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 4:52am by freddyfl

jburbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jburbie Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 24

i am interested to know what people think of the new wilton course.

23 replies
caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 24

Me too. Wanted to take the course in Feb, but scheduling wouldn't allow!
Is it worth it?

varin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varin Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 24

It wasn't what I thought it would be. Most of the things we learned I could've figured out myself from taking the previous classes. We did learn a few really cute flowers though.

mjrhooligan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjrhooligan Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 24

It wasn't what I expected either. Felt very rushed and we didn't really learn anything spectacular. There was a lot of stuff that was review of the other courses when it could have been new more difficult stuff.

Lesson 4 included learning how to do cut-outs. If you understand cookie cutters you understand doing fondant cut-outs. Really felt like they thought we were stupid when they wrote that book.

That being said - I did enjoy the class because it was a blast seeing what the other people were doing with their cakes. And I had never worked with gum paste before at all so that was nice. Just make sure you get your kit. My Mom did the entire course sharing my kit because none of the 4 stores near us had any kits at all.

dyenana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyenana Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 24

I was very disappointed all I did learn was the carnation & fantasy flower. Everything was very basic.
It could have been added into the course III. But thats just my opinion. Read others opinions here. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-127881.html

I did enjoy my instructor she is so much fun.
This is what I came up with and I was being a rebel not following the book.
LL

jburbie Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:30am
post #6 of 24

[quote="dyenana"]I was very disappointed all I did learn was the carnation & fantasy flower. Everything was very basic.
It could have been added into the course III. But thats just my opinion. Read others opinions here.
i

I felt that there was not much in the corse that i didn't already learn in course three. by the way dyenana what part of alberta are you from. I am from alberta too.

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:38am
post #7 of 24

I am taking the course 4 class and will be doing my final cake next Tues. It was fun to me. The instructor was great, but she voiced her disaproval of the course. She felt it was not enough time. I too felt that the classes should last longer with more different flowers. We did the carnation, went over the rose,some forgot how to do it. the daisy, and the fantasy flower. (where did wilton get that one at?) Some of the girls wanted to learn how to make little bears ect. Oh well for $12.50 what can we expect? Just wish there were more indepth classes near. icon_smile.gif

jburbie Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:43am
post #8 of 24

wow "jackmo" you only paid 12.50 for your class. up here in canada the class costs 40 and so does the kit. mind yopu because i work at michaels i did get the class for free. but everybody else has to pay the 40

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:47am
post #9 of 24

My class is free with the purchase of the kit...the kit cost 30.00 dollars. But wilton didn't make enough course books, so I don't have a book at all. My instructor has to photocopy the pages for me. I am expecting that they will eventually give me the book, because I want one to have on hand, plus that is part of you taking the course.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #10 of 24

I'm in the class now so I want to reserve my thoughts & opinions for later. But I did get a good deal. I bought my kit with a 50% off coupon from JoAnn Fabrics and then I got the class free. So, if nothing else, I should at least get my money's worth out of it. Fifteen dollars for four weeks of fellowship with friends and meeting new ones - yea, it's worth it!

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:03am
post #11 of 24

I just started the course tonight. It was all review for me but I enjoyed it none the less. I like hearing other people's input and getting out of the house. Our instructor said that she hopes to show us more flowers than the ones in the book. For lesson 4 she wants us there on time to allow for extra flowers. Heck...I'll be there early if she'll show us more!!!

BTW dyenana...LOVE the pea in a pod babies on your cake!!!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:04am
post #12 of 24

By the way Dyenana, I love that cake!

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:05am
post #13 of 24

mine is free too with the kit..and the kit cost 30. I will be really mad if I don't get a book. I start my class tomorrow night, and I'm really just doing it for the book, so I really will be upset if i don't get one. The only reason I'm taking this after reading all of the forums about it is cuz it's free and I was going to buy the kit for the stuff in it anyway it's a cheep way to get all the stuff.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:16am
post #14 of 24

I just started taking the class on Monday and my teacher was going trough the things that we were going to cover and I was a bit disappointed. I took a project class that was offered at the end of last year and we learned how to do the fantasy flowers, draping and covering the cake boards with fondant and the marbleizing the fondant ( which that I already knew, matter of fact I think that it is common sense). I will add the cake that I did in that class. It was only two weeks and only $10.00 plus supplies, yet we learned a lot So that leaves me paying for a class to learn how to make Daisy's. The way I see it anything to get out of the house and get some free time sounds good to me.
LL

jackmo Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbie

wow "jackmo" you only paid 12.50 for your class. up here in canada the class costs 40 and so does the kit. mind yopu because i work at michaels i did get the class for free. but everybody else has to pay the 40

It was 1/2 price off the class. You had to buy the kit though. The class is really $25.00. Then they have a thing were you buy the kit and get the class free. luv it! icon_biggrin.gif

freddyfl Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:26am
post #16 of 24

my instructor said taht she has had 18 people take the class and wilton only sent them 6 books. Ummm hello? They said that they didn't make enough books to go around. Sounds like poor planning on their part.

jackmo Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:26am
post #17 of 24

To jburbie: You said the kit is $40.00??? Wow! here it is $29.99 and if you can get a hold of a 40% coupon it is even cheaper. The cost of living must be higher where you live.

jackmo Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:30am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfl

My class is free with the purchase of the kit...the kit cost 30.00 dollars. But wilton didn't make enough course books, so I don't have a book at all. My instructor has to photocopy the pages for me. I am expecting that they will eventually give me the book, because I want one to have on hand, plus that is part of you taking the course.

When we buy the kit, the instructor gives us the book when we start class. You mean you have to buy the book too? icon_surprised.gif

jackmo Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymike

I'm in the class now so I want to reserve my thoughts & opinions for later. But I did get a good deal. I bought my kit with a 50% off coupon from JoAnn Fabrics and then I got the class free. So, if nothing else, I should at least get my money's worth out of it. Fifteen dollars for four weeks of fellowship with friends and meeting new ones - yea, it's worth it!

Now thats what I call a deal!!! thumbs_up.gif

dyenana Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:42am
post #20 of 24

[quote="jburbie"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyenana

I was very disappointed all I did learn was the carnation & fantasy flower. Everything was very basic.
It could have been added into the course III. But thats just my opinion. Read others opinions here.

I felt that there was not much in the corse that i didn't already learn in course three. by the way dyenana what part of alberta are you from. I am from alberta too.

Cool I'm in the Hat...Where are you?

faitheve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faitheve Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:43am
post #21 of 24

I just started the class tonight, I really like my instructor and it is fun to go to... but I was VERY disappointed in the content of the class. The only thing I am interesed in was the three flowers they teach you. Everything else is very obvious if you just get the cut outs from the store. My instructor said she is going to teach us calla lillies as well ( I think maybe she knows that most of this class is kinda silly) I got the class for free and had a 40% off coupon with the kit, so total it cost me like 17.99. Which I think is worth the tools it comes with... but I would have been really let down if I had paid full price!

dyenana Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:45am
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbie

I paid $17 for the class plus the kit was $39 or $49 I can remember but I did use the 40% off

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:55am
post #23 of 24

Here's a link to the other thread about it and in my post there is a link to the previous thread about it...the general consensus was overall dissapointment at seems...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-1479571-.html#1479571

Cheers!

freddyfl Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:52am
post #24 of 24

[

When we buy the kit, the instructor gives us the book when we start class. You mean you have to buy the book too? icon_surprised.gif[/quote]

No, I mean that wilton didn't send them any workbooks, because they were out of them. I am expecting that I get my book though. I will be stinky about it with wilton if I have to! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%