Pricing Cookie Bouquets

Business By cookielady1 Updated 2 Feb 2006 , 5:51pm by cookielady1

cookielady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielady1 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 12

I bought some cute little valentines day coffee mugs at $0.50 ea and am putting 3ea 5" iced, decorated heart shaped cookies in each. What should I charge for these?

11 replies
Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 12

just bumping, I would like to know this as well.

Havingfunbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Havingfunbaking Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 12

Although I haven't tried to sell any cookie bouquets yet, I have read and been told to price out (per cookie) what your ingredients cost to make the cookies (example, if it costs approximately $5.00 to make 20 cookies, then divide 5 by 20 to get the cost per cookie, $.25/cookie) and then triple that amount plus add in the cost of packaging to get a price at least close to what you might want to sell it at. Plus you might want to add in electricity to make and anything like that.

I hope that might help. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 4:03am
post #4 of 12

I priced my cookie bouquets this way:

Cost of ingredients ( I took the each ingredient and broke in down into the smallest size I would use, like x # of cups of flour in a bag)

Then I took the cost of the materials: in your case then cup, the foam in it, the ribbon, etc.

Then I added those together. Then I multipled by 3...

However, a note..I did do some fudging with the x 3 business because some things come out more than I would expect to pay at another location. Also, I had to manipulate my materials. For instance, I realized that to keep the price where I thought it should be, I should spend no more than $4-$5 on a container. Most of the time I can find them for less so that just adds to my profit.

A way to test and see if you are comperable is to check out the local competition.

Bought cookies and tasted them, inspected how they were wrapped and everything. My good Dh refused to eat the cookie.... thumbs_up.gif

Hope that helps,

Julia

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 8:58am
post #5 of 12

I make cookies too. Cookies are so cheap to make that I don't use the supply cost but rather just price competitively with those in my area (most of the price is just labor for all the decoration). For iced, decorated cookies, I charge $3-5 per cookie for 3-4" cookies. 5" is pretty large, so you may charge more (I'd charge $6.50). Then I add in a gift-wrapping fee that covers the container, cellophane, ribbon and the labor. So, I would say you could easily charge $20-25+. I checked the Cookie Bouquet website, and they sell 3 cookies in a mug for $32.05 (but I think they're usually a little pricey). Hope that helps.

Nermal03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nermal03 Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 1:01am
post #6 of 12

Just a quick question to you cookie bouqet makers. I'm about to make my first this week. I got containers and floral foam but what do you use to cover and hide the foam?

sweetchef Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 6:11am
post #7 of 12

I've seen many places use colored tissue paper sheets.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 12

I use paper shred. I get it in bulk from www.nashvillewraps.com and in small qty from the local craft store.

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 3:20am
post #9 of 12

I 've never done this yet, but would like to.
I went to a couple of my local bakeries that do this and they were charging as much as $110 for a themed basket of 15 cookies! I know doing those are time-consuming, but I still thought this was a little pricey. But I'm no expert. They had told me they get a lot of orders around the holiday though.

sweetchef Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 6:16am
post #10 of 12

Believe it or not, that's not a bad price. I charge $50-60 for 7 large cookies...which I believe is the average rate on the internet...if that helps. But, it depends on the market in your city.

JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 6:51am
post #11 of 12

Cookielady: This place is charging $32.05 for 3 cookies, the same size as yours, in a mug. http://www.cookiesbydesign.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=A230. 5 cookies, no container, is $40.15

I'm glad I came across this thread because I have been wondering the exact same thing. I want to make up some bouquets to sell for Valentines, and am not sure what to charge. The places on the net are charging at a rate of at least $5 a cookie, in a lot of cases more then that. I had been thinking like $1.25 or $2 per cookie for mine, now I don't know how much is not enough to charge:S ( I want it high enough I would make a profit, but not so high that no one would be willing to pay it!) I just know that even for myself, I couldn't afford to buy an $8 cookie icon_sad.gif

cookielady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielady1 Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for all the info. (And thanks for the web site, got new ideas). I think they're a bit pricey, too, but at least I know now how much is too much...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%