Adding Pudding Mix To Cake

Baking By tootsa Updated 24 Feb 2006 , 3:52pm by babygreen

tootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsa Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 24

I have recently make a classic white cake that I am trying for a wedding cake. The flavor was very good, however, the cake seems dry. I thought adding pudding mix to the recipe might moisten it up. Any thoughts?

Any additional ingredients I need to add in adding the pudding mix?

23 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 24

Some times an extra egg will help or add a cup of sour cream. Those may help out... also, I know a lot of people are opposed to freezing cakes, but I wrap mine well in saran and then foil... when ready to defrost, take the foil off the cake but leave the saran wrap until it's completely thawed... there is something about the saran on the cake that, to me, moistens the cake up even more... believe me, I was the worse sceptic of this too, but I've done it many times and I get so many compliments on how well my cakes tastes and how moist they are.

tootsa Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 24

I actually have a piece of the cake wrapped in plastic and then foil in my freezer. I'm going to take it out to thaw and see what happens! THANKS! thumbs_up.gif

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 24

Add a pudding mix and an extra egg. Also add 1/3 C oil instead of the !/2 C that most boxes call for.

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 24

Are you doing a box cake or from scratch? If your using a box cake, may I suggest Duncan Hines, and just follow the directions, it already has pudding mix added to it, I use it for my wedding cakes and add my own buttercream and people go crazy over it.

tootsa Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 24

The cake is from scratch. It has a really nice almond flavor, which is what I'm liking about it. But if it's going to be all this crazy work and I'm going to have to make it 16 times before it's any goooooddddd......

I'll have to keep Duncan Hines in mind, though, because I made a white box cake this morning as an alternative, and it really had no flavor!! It was the store brand which I've used before (chocolate) and it was really good!?

mistygaildunn: what flavor cake of DH are you using? and could I ask what buttercream recipe?? I am in search of everything, as this is my first real paying order EVER!! icon_biggrin.gif

mistygaildunn Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 24

I use the classic white DH, if you are liking the almond flavor, why not add some to your box mix? I use
1/2 c REAL butter, not margaring, as it's too soft
1/2 c. Crisco
1 tsp. flavoring (almond?)
1 pound, or 4c sifted powdered sugar

Mix butter and crisco well, add flavor, then add sifted sugar 1c at a time. Once it's all mixed add 1-2 tablespoons of milk and mix on med-high until light and fluffy. I normally double this recipe. It should make about 3c for one or 7-8 for double batch. My all time favorite is adding cocoa to this recipe and a tsp of corn syrup, and it makes a to die for chocolate buttercream. Hope this helps.

tootsa Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 24

Ok...butter...salted? unsalted? will my icing still be white if i'm using the butter?
Yes...everyone is helping tremendously!! Thanks!

mistygaildunn Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 24

You know, I've never really paid any attention to salted, or unsalted. By time you add 4 c of powdered sugar to your icing it is white, especially if you use a clear flavor. Wilton makes a white-white to whiten even more if needed, try different brands of butter, some is less yellow than others.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 24

If I am using unsalted I add a dash of salt. If I am using salted I don't. the salt does help cut the sweet of the buttercream just a tad.

Also, for the cake I use DH and still make the additions above. For a richer cake I use butter instead of oil and buttermilk instead of water.

My cakes always come out extremely moist. Everyone who has tasted them raves.

tootsa Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 1:41am
post #11 of 24

Just to keep everyone up to date on my madness.... icon_lol.gif

I leveled off the top of the cake..and it seems as though the sunken in part didnt really go that far down!! YAY!

I also made cupcakes for tasting...as the 6in was for a practice run on decorating...and they are very good!! I made the same recipe with out adding the pudding mix a couple of days ago...and that was the one that was dry. These seem to be very tasty and moist!!

Thanks so much everyone!!

By the way...I either need to get a computer for my kitchen, or I need a 12 step program because I am totally addicted to CC icon_biggrin.gif

babygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygreen Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 24

tootsa could you share with me your white cake recipe?

tootsa Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 24

Sure! This is the Classic White Cake II recipe from this site, as it is written here:

1 cup whole milk , at room temperature
3/4 cup large egg whites (about 6), at room temperature
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened

1. For the cake: Set oven rack in middle position. (If oven is too small to cook both layers on a single rack, set racks in upper-middle and lower-middle positions.) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat bottom and sides of two 9-inch-by-1 1/2-inch or 2-inch round cake pans with 1 tablespoon shortening each. Sprinkle 1 heaping tablespoon of all-purpose flour into each pan; roll pans in all directions to coat. Invert pans and rap sharply to remove excess flour.

2. Pour milk, egg whites, and extracts into 2-cup glass measure, and mix with fork until blended.

3. Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of electric mixer at slow speed. Add butter; continue beating at slow speed until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no powdery ingredients remaining.
4. Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to crumbs and beat at medium speed (or high speed if using handheld mixer) for 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat 30 seconds more. Stop mixer and scrape sides of bowl. Return mixer to medium (or high) speed and beat 20 seconds longer.

5. Divide batter evenly between two prepared cake pans; using rubber spatula, spread batter to pan walls and smooth tops. Arrange pans at least 3 inches from the oven walls and 3 inches apart. (If oven is small, place pans on separate racks in staggered fashion to allow for air circulation.) Bake until cake needle or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes.

I changed the almond to 1.5t and the vanilla to 1.5t. I also added one packet of instant french vanilla pudding. icon_smile.gif

babygreen Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 24

thanks so much! I'm making my mom's wedding cake next week and haven't found a white cake that I like yet. I'll give this one a try this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

tootsa Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 24

How exciting! Please do tell me how you make out and what you think of the cake!! thumbs_up.gif

empress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
empress Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 24

If your cake is too dry icon_surprised.gif , consider your oven temperature. If the temp is too high, perhaps your cake is a bit over cooked. I always bake at 325 degrees and watch carefully to not overbake. I also try to get me cake layers in the freezer--even if only for a few hours. I really think that it improves the moistness and I know it is easier to ice. icon_wink.gif

babygreen Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:29pm
post #17 of 24

I wanted to share with you the final picture of the wedding cake I did this past weekend for my mom's wedding. The white cake recipe I got from you, tootsa, was a huge hit as it was delicious and moist! Thank you all so much for your help.
LL

tootsa Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 2:17pm
post #18 of 24

OH MY GOODNESS! I was just searching around some old threads and came across your pic and reply, babygreen! What a beautiful cake!! I am SO GLAD the recipe worked out and everyone loved it!! That gives me so much more confidence in the wedding cake I am going to be using it for!!! Yay, us!! icon_biggrin.gif

Babygreen, did you put any filling in it? My bride wants raspberry filling, which I think will taste mighty good...but haven't officially tried it yet!?

babygreen Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 2:29pm
post #19 of 24

Thank you so much! I did add about a cup of sour cream to the recipe as well as the pudding you suggested. The cake didn't stay white once I added the pudding but it was so good, my mom couldn't have cared less. In case you get a bride who really wants white I would leave out the pudding, it still tastes great!
I used a raspberry filling in my cake. I started with a raspberry curd, which is virtually impossible to find around me, so I finished by using seedless raspberry jam. I first made a wash (cooked it on the stove until it became thin syrup) and brushed it on the cake to avoid all the jam being absorbed in the cake and then added about two jars between the two tiers. I wasn't a big fan of the combination at first but I promise you it was absolutely delicious (in fact I've kind of been craving it).
Thanks again for your recipe and your kind words. Please let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to return the favor.

tootsa Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 2:33pm
post #20 of 24

I had the same thing happen when I added the pudding mix...oops! Sorry I forgot to share that part.... icon_redface.gif

Ok..tell me more about the raspberry filling. When you made the syrup, did you add anything to the jam when cooking it..or just the jam on the stove? Also, the actual filling...you just used the jam from the jar or did you do anything to it before using?

Thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 2:39pm
post #21 of 24

When you are adding pudding to a white cake mix only use white chocolate pudding. It keeps the cake mix white. My teacher gave me this hint in my cake decorating class.

Hope this helps.

babygreen Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 2:40pm
post #22 of 24

No need for an apology...I've made enough cakes to figure that the pudding would change its color. I was just so thrilled to find a cake made with cake flour that tasted amazing!

When I made the syrup, I just put the jam in a pot on low heat and stirred until it was thin. I didn't add anything to the jam then or when i used it out of the jar. It was sweet but not too sweet, it was tart but not too tart. Keep in mind that it is very important to buy seedless jam.

tootsa Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 3:46pm
post #23 of 24

cakedeco...would that give you a chocolatey flavor to your cake? I used french vanilla..hence the yellow color...bc i was concerned of changing the flavor....

babygreen Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 3:52pm
post #24 of 24

i'm not a big fan of white chocolate but I guess it would help with the color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%