Question About Mocha Fudge Cake

Baking By MrsMom Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 1:05pm by suzylynn58

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 8

I'm referring to this recipe:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-372-Mocha-Fudge-Cake.html

OK, first question. It calls for "coffee flavored liqueur." This may be a dumb question, but...alcohol, like Kahlua? Is there anything I could sub for that, as I don't drink/buy alcohol? (I can just imagine explaining that one to my pastor..."but it's for a CAKE!" icon_smile.gif )

The recipe also includes a glaze, but this would be just fine with a regular frosting, right?

7 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, Kahlua. I have been curious, though, as to how it would taste with Starbucks Liqueur.

Regular frosting would be fine. I use my chocolate frosting with my mocha cake and just add a tiny bit of strong coffee and grated dark chocolate (70%) and it's great.

HTH. thumbs_up.gif

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 8

I've heard you can substitute flavored syrups for some of these. I have a Kahlua flavored syrup (the kind you add to make cappuccinos, I think (the ones with espresso and steamed milk and flavor) or steamers (just the steamed milk and flavor) You can get them from Da Vinci Gourmet although some grocery stores and sam's clubs have been selling them, although in limited selection. That would be the only way I could think of to get Kahlua flavor without the alcohol (I don't drink either, hence the syrups). HTH

dyenana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyenana Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

Yes, Kahlua. I have been curious, though, as to how it would taste with Starbucks Liqueur.

Regular frosting would be fine. I use my chocolate frosting with my mocha cake and just add a tiny bit of strong coffee and grated dark chocolate (70%) and it's great.HTH. thumbs_up.gif

I just did a cake with Starbucks and it turned out great...I just sub'd the water with the starbucks.

MrsMom Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 8

What about the flavored syrups you can use to flavor milkshakes, milk, etc? I see those in the grocery store all the time.

deedee4420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee4420 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 8

The last few times I have been in TJ Maxx I found the flavored syrups for less than a regular store price.

If you have a TJ Maxx nearby you might look in their gourmet food section.

The syrups are non-alcoholic and taste great in coffee and would work in your cake.

MrsMom Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks, I'll check TJMaxx. Just in case I can't get there, or they don't have it...is it the same thing I'm talking about. It's like Hershey syrup, but coffee flavored. Or is it more gourmet?

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 8

If you have a World Market in your area, they have a huge stock of Torani flavorer syrups.

susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%