Help, What To Charge

Baking By Betasmom Updated 9 Feb 2006 , 10:03am by chocolate1

Betasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Betasmom Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 1:38am
post #1 of 5

I am being offered a job for cookie decorating. We have not discussed a rate I do no want to overcharge or undercharge. I do not know what to charge per hour. I would be working in a cookie factory decorating their new line of cookies. Help any ideas??????

4 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 5

Wish I could help, a lot is going to depend on the going rate for that type of work where you live. Are you aware of any other companies that have that kind of positions, perhaps you could phone around?
Hugs Squirrelly

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 5

Well hun, if you are going to work in a "factory setting" they usually already have the rate set per hour, or maybe they do what is called "piece work" (a term from the construction field) where you get paid per "piece".
But for the most part, the wages have already been predetermined, and you probably won't have much of a say in the matter.
The only instance where I think that this wouldn't apply is if you were considered a "subcontractor".

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

Well hun, if you are going to work in a "factory setting" they usually already have the rate set per hour, or maybe they do what is called "piece work" (a term from the construction field) where you get paid per "piece".
But for the most part, the wages have already been predetermined, and you probably won't have much of a say in the matter.
The only instance where I think that this wouldn't apply is if you were considered a "subcontractor".

That is what I thought, it would depend too if the cookies are all supposed to be decorated the same, which is kind of what I think would be the case.
Hugs Squirrelly

chocolate1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate1 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 10:03am
post #5 of 5

Betasmom, I've been doing "contract" work for a restaurant for almost a year, and it has been on a "per cookie" basis, I am paid in advance. They are going to expand their store and have offered me an area of the restaurant to do my cookies, cakes, etc. and want to pay on an hourly rate, we will negotiate the rate, but I'll make more by the hour than by the cookie, because as you find out, decorating cookies can be very time consuming, but sooo much fun, happy icing, C.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%