They Want A 26" X 36" Cake.... Help!!

Decorating By mamaof3 Updated 7 Mar 2007 , 4:16pm by selahmycat

mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 14

I know that is going to be a hugh, heavy cake. I think I need a more solid board. What would you do? I'm thinking I need to go to Home Depot or something. I think plywood would be too heavy. Then I was thinking something like a "foam" board. TIA

13 replies
lexidus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexidus Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 14

I would definately use a wood product (plywood and particle board are much lighter than MDF) for something that large. It will be heavy but a cake that big is going to weigh so much and you will have invested so much time into it that in my opinion better safe than sorry!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 14

I agree with using a wood product for the board, and make sure it will fit thru the doors and have a secure place in your car for delivery!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 14

I would coaunt on renting/ borrowing a larger vehicle than a car... I waould hate trying to get something THAT big into a car...

Good luck!

Oh, anyway you could decorate it there? That would solve the problem of transportation.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 14

I would go to home depot. I think they will even cut it to size for you. I would think foam board will crack on you. That would be way to heavy. Did you put the price of the board into your cake?

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 14

I would definetely use a wooden board for the cake you are making.

My husband made me a wood board that holds a 15x22 sheet cake. Since a cake this size is very heavy, he added some "bumps" to the bottom of the board so we can get our fingers underneath when we lift it.

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 14

I've been to Home Depot twice here, and asked if they could cut something to size for me. Their answer was no.

Wonder what's up with that? icon_confused.gif

-M-

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLadyM

I've been to Home Depot twice here, and asked if they could cut something to size for me. Their answer was no.

-M-

That's the whoe point of Home Depot...what do they mean they won't cut it? Here in CA, when you purchase lumber, they give you 1 or 2 free cuts and then charge for more...... talk to the manager - something is very wrong if they won't cut it. ( Providing we are talking about wood....)

CakeLadyM Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLadyM

-M-

That's the whoe point of Home Depot...what do they mean they won't cut it? Here in CA, when you purchase lumber, they give you 1 or 2 free cuts and then charge for more...... talk to the manager - something is very wrong if they won't cut it. ( Providing we are talking about wood....)

I will definitely do that, CAKEDIVA. I've done soooo many cakes/wedding cakes that it would have just really saved me some frustration, too.

I always just end up calling my "wood guy." He cuts circles/squares or whatever I need. I just hate to bother him so often! icon_redface.gif

Next time I'm in HD, I'll ask a wood dude down there what's up with that!

-M-

mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 14

I have a big van so I'm not worried about delivery. My dh is going to be helping too. I did let them know that there would be a slight difference in price because of the need for a special board. I'm hoping it will be $10 or less. Thanks for all your input!

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 14

CakeDiva is right they should cut it for you, whoever you talked to is just most likely being lazy. They also should have precut stuff, so you don't have to buy a huge piece and waste anything, but I don't know about the size.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 14

My concern is getting it thru a door. Most doors are only 36" wide, so take into account extra width for the board underneath and you got yourself a problem! icon_sad.gif That would stink to work that hard and it not even fit out the door of your house, or fit into your car!

CakeLadyM Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

My concern is getting it thru a door. Most doors are only 36" wide, so take into account extra width for the board underneath and you got yourself a problem! icon_sad.gif That would stink to work that hard and it not even fit out the door of your house, or fit into your car!

Just move it out and in the long way (the 26" side) it'd be a long fit, but it'd work. Even with a board underneath, it'd only be around 28 wide.

The CAR might be where that problem would arise. Measure first! icon_smile.gif

-M-

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:16pm
post #14 of 14

I went to Home Depot, and they cut my board. I covered it with white contact paper. I then set the cake in the box on top it (with the rubber gripper thingy), and when I deliver it, I set it where they want it, and pull my board out. Then I can take it with me. I agree with putting strips on the bottom to make it easier to pick up. I am waiting for my DH to put those on for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%