Need Pricing Help..quick

Business By BellaRosa Updated 25 Jan 2006 , 9:18pm by cookielady1

BellaRosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRosa Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 9

I have a customer that has moved out of my area & just emailed & wants me to make her some chocolate leaves & curls for a Valentines party. I have made them for her before, but always as garnish on cakes & pies. Because I have to ship orders to her, this is all she has requested. I have no idea what to charge???? Should I go per pound or quanity (that would be tedious since I use lemon leaves). I have never priced this item before.

TIA
BellaRosa

8 replies
BellaRosa Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 9

anyone?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 9

are these like "tussy mussie's" or little nose gay's or something like that or are they individual flowers n such?

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 9

I would see what it would cost you, ingredients, and the amount of time you think it would take to make as many as she requested. Give yourself a salary per hour and add ingredients. And don't cut yourself short!! your time is valuable!

BellaRosa Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 9

chaptlps - the chocolate leaves are the ones where you coat the leaf with chocolate & then pull the new "chocolate leaf" off when it sets. The curls are chocolate shavings that look like sticks. about 2 inches long.

Cakefairy - I know the curls are time entensive, but the leaves are just a dip & leave to set deal. Since my materials are relatively inexpensive due to bulk pricing, I was thinking $8-10 for half pound. Does that sound to unreasonable?

BellaRosa

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 9

I don't think it sounds unreasonable, but since bulk pricing brings down your cost, and it's time extensive, then you need to charge for your time. If she only orders 1/2 pound and u charge 10 dollars. Lets say your ingredients cost u 2 dollars and it takes u 2 hours to do everything...ur only making $4/hr...not worth it...

I would say ok, she needs x number of these things, it's going to take me this long, and this is how much my ingredients are going to cost...

It's probably worth it to sell per pound if your selling a large quantity, you make the mess once, you clean it up once, and once you have momentum , you produce quicker too...but if she only wants 1/2 pound, I wouldn't price per pound.

BellaRosa Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 9

Thx Cakefairy!

I just emailed her and asked how much she was wanting & told her I would give her the price according to the amount she needs. At least I have a while to work on the curls...seems I end up eating more than I get curled correctly! rofl

Bella Rosa

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 9

Just so you know too... a bakery that does those chocolate curls (cigarellos) in my area was going to charge me like $3 for like 5 of them. I am so jealous you know how to make them... I want to learn!

cookielady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielady1 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 9

I would charge for each leaf. The curls, okay maybe by the pound. But just to make the mess is worth you getting something for your time. And charge the customer for 100% of the shipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%