Beryl Byrd's Warning Letter From Fda/doh

Business By surfergina Updated 26 Jan 2006 , 12:23am by irisinbloom

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 11

I used Google and type Beryl Byrd - the famous cake designer - to check out her website, since I was told she made so many gorgeous cakes. After I clicked the search button, I had more than 10 result pages. One of it caught my attention: a warning letter from FDA and DOH about Beryl Byrd's Just Fabulous Pastries shop. Out of my curiosity, I clicked it and read the letter. I was SHOCKED what I read! Here's the link for you to see it for yourself. I'm glad that I read it because it will help me to start my business and what to expect from FDA/DOH.
http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/g5130d.htm
icon_surprised.gif

10 replies
JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 11

Wasn't she one of the judges on the Elvis cake challenge, too? lol Funny.... icon_lol.gif

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 11

OH MY..... icon_surprised.gif THAT CANT BE GOOD!!!! i work in a restraunt and was really surprised about the restrictions that they put on the owners( ear rings??) but the condensing vent and storage is a no brainer (you would think)! really good to know about though.. thanks

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 11

She's a dirty Byrd icon_cool.gif ouch! I love her cakes though.... so beautiful.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 11

Well, if you've ever worked in the food industry, namely a kitchen, this sounds practically pristine! I think everyone would be shocked if they new what happened in nearly all restaurant kitchens.

Tiramisu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiramisu Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 11

Ill tell you, I had an eye opener to food handling and safety, after taking a class on Food Safety at my community college. It is a required class for any courses taken in the culinary program. Lets just say I was pretty grossed out in learning about how clean (not) restaurant/bakery kitchens can be.

One comment I have regarding the Food Network cake challenge is that I am surprised that the people working on the cakes are not wearing a chefs hat. I was taught all personnel working in the food area (at least in Michigan) must wear a hat covering all your hair.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 11

I agree, I have worked in many restraurants and this seems pretty mild. I used to work in a mexican food place that was infested with mice. So gross!!!! But I met my husband there. We both worked there during college. Needless to say it is no longer open. It was a very popular place on The Plaza if you know about Kansas City. Yuck!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 11

I will be taking a Food Handling and Safety class through my local health department in a few months. It's required for you to be issued a food permit and license for a business. So before they'll grant me my business license for cakes I have to take it. It's $150, plus $125 for the license.... icon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 11

where I work there is a company that contracts with the company i work for called "kay chemicals" They are whom we get all our cleaning supplies from. They have very very (i mean very) strict guidlines for any bakeries or kitchens that contracts with them. they come in once a month to inspect each kitchen and some of the things that can get you marked are: not wearing a hair net or bouffant (those ugly paper things) covering ALL your hair. No jewelry of any kind (not even engagement rings) and you must always wear gloves and wash your hands EVERY time you leave an area and come back or as in the deli every time you change a customer you wash your hands and get a new set of gloves on. Just some of the personal things that kay requires in all of the stores they contract to. there is a lot more besides that but that is just the personal stuff, o yeah no tank tops, (no sleeves shorter than 6 inches) no shorts or skirts or capris. No open toed shoes, and must wear sox.
O and by the way, when I was living and working at a pizza hut in cali. everyone who handled food in any way was required to take the food safety course and pass it.

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 11

That positively tame compared to the restaurant I work at.

We don't have hats or head covers (aren't allowed, the owner doesnt think it looks 'professional' the owner is a bit nutz. icon_rolleyes.gif )
I wear earrings all the time, so did the head chef. We are practically ocd about hand washing, and gloves though.
And don't get me started about our coolers. A MESS! And the dishwashers were always breaking down.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 12:23am
post #11 of 11

WOW, I just read the inspection results and am amazed at the working conditions. I work in Nutrition and Food Service at a local medical facility and we have to cover our hair before entering the kitchen. I wash my hands so many times a day I am surprized I have any skin left on my handsicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%