Candy Clay Or Fondant

Decorating By klsrtr Updated 25 Jan 2006 , 11:47pm by TexasSugar

klsrtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klsrtr Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 4

I have a xbox cake to make on Saturday and I was thinking of making the X for the top of the cake out of candy clay instead of using fondant. Will I be able to use the candy clay this way? The cake is going to be all chocolate so I wanted the X to be chocolate to. (I don't want to make chocolate fondant.) Will I be able to roll it out like fondant? And will I be able to color it black with the wilton paste colors?

KIM

3 replies
tamreese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamreese Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Kim,

You can roll the candy clay like fondant and you can use the paste colors to color it after its made. They also make coloring just for candy.

Hope this helps,
Tammy

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 4

Is there a recipe for making your own candy clay? I got some from the store and Oh My Gosh, it was HARD as a rock and so so hard to work with. I was VERY dissapointed with it. I'm doing some sculpting for a rock climbing cake next weekend, and I'll be using marshmallow fondant for that instead of candy clay simply b/c it's much easier to work with. Just my opinion though.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 4

To make candy clay you melt a 14oz bag of candy melts and then add 1/3 cup of corn syrup to it. Once mixed poor on a wax covered cookie sheet and let set over night. It will be pretty hard the next day, but will soften up as you kneed it in your hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%