I Finally Uploaded A Few Pics!

Decorating By llj68 Updated 5 Apr 2005 , 8:20pm by melissablack

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 5

See--I really do know how to decorate. LOL! My daughter's cake (the doll) was fraught with errors, but it got to the point where I just had to quit and leave it alone. I was making things worse (the blue roses were NOT in the original design--argh!)

Anyway, I'm gearing up for my first "real" wedding cake this weekend. The bride has absolutely NO opinion on what she wants. She is pg and seriously does NOT care. UGH! So--I wrote that right on her spec sheet that she doesn't care what it looks like. I'm think just cornelli lace and a few roses and calling it a day. It's a small wedding (50 guests), so it won't be a huge deal anyway.

Thanks for looking at my pics! Maybe someday I'll be a good as you all are, then I can have a reminder of my humble beginnings.

icon_biggrin.gif

Lisa

4 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 5

You did a pretty good job. Smooth icing is still something I am working on.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 5

You are way too modest...you're good thumbs_up.gif ! The barbie is perfect. Her hair is the neatest of any barbie I've ever seen who's been stuck in a cake and her dress is beautiful. Your roses are very nice. No, your cakes aren't smooth but I admire the fact that you're willing to sacrifice that for your family's tastebuds. Keep working with it and you'll figure out a way to smooth it (hot knife, paper towel, wet knife). There is always a way.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 5

The recipe is SO soft--it was concocted by my great, great grandmother back in Finland forever ago. I have fiddled with it over the years--but the taste just gets lost if I venture too far from the original recipe. That is also the reason why I can never to a top border or any side work on those cakes--it will slide right off. And heat? Forget about it! It'll melt in a pool of butter. I have finally managed to get it more workable by increasing the shortening and decreasing the sugar a bit--but it's still not that great to work with.

However--the taste really makes up for the lack of smoothness--and I think they look kind of "homey". No way my family will ever go for a "regular" bc icing. Although--I used them as guinea pigs for my regular one and I finally got them to like it! lol!

icon_biggrin.gif
Lisa

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 5

My latest icing recipe I've been using is soft too, I need to tweak it... but anyway, I think your cakes are really pretty. I left a comment on one of your photosicon_smile.gif The barbie looks great too!

Melissaicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%