Samples? Or No...

Business By heathercarnold Updated 24 Jan 2006 , 10:01am by boonenati

heathercarnold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathercarnold Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:36am
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering what you use to offer as samples for future customers..?
I was thinking the mini tier cakes would be fun? Would you decorate them?
Thanks!

6 replies
jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:41am
post #2 of 7

I actually just finished doing a sample cake and I'm about to post it. It is a 6" and is very simple!

heathercarnold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathercarnold Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:50am
post #3 of 7

jdogga-
so the cake you make, is it for taste or a idea of the design?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 7:26am
post #4 of 7

Mini tiered cakes are pretty, but can be way too much work for a sample. The look simple, but the smaller they are, the fussier the work. Usually, the sample is just for the taste, offered to serious customers. It would be expensive and a lot of work to offer cake to just everyone who calls with a question. Some decorators even offer cupcakes in a couple of flavor combinations.

Photos of your work and other sample photos of cakes you know you can do can help the bride if she doesn't have a design in mind.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 8:29am
post #5 of 7

This doesn't sound appealing at first, BUT lots of people are starting to use old Tuna cans. (washed thoroughly of course)

Fill them half way with batter and they should just about top out at the right height, from my experinece. They came out nice when I tried them and will do it this way from now on.

Needless to say, I'm convinced.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 9:52am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogga

I actually just finished doing a sample cake and I'm about to post it. It is a 6" and is very simple!

That's a beautiful cake. I love the simplicity. It would be a great design to do for tastings. And OMG your icing is so smoooooth.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 10:01am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathercarnold

jdogga-
so the cake you make, is it for taste or a idea of the design?

I only make a cake for tasting, and only if I know the person is serious about ordering from me, or to give them that extra push. I usually bake a 6" cake, and then i cut a few samples off it, and freeze the rest. I have several flavours frozen in sample sizes in the freezer at the moment. Of course in order for this to work you have to have a recipe that freezes well. The cakes i use usually become more moist after being frozen. Just had a tasting on Sunday and it went extremely well. B/c i have so many diff flavours, i was able to allow them to taste a few without having to bake anything. This may be an idea if you freeze your cakes. I dont make samples for desing because it would take too long with all the orders, and the waste of time and money for people who wouldnt order would be too much. I did one sample when i first started out, but that was only for the very first wedding cake i sold, b/c i had no pictures the girl wanted to be sure i could do it. It didn't cost me much, but if i did it for everyone that came through i'd end up losing money.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Nati

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%