3D Choo Choo Train Pan

Decorating By lagunacakelady Updated 10 Feb 2006 , 5:35pm by autumnsmom

lagunacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lagunacakelady Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:21am
post #1 of 7

I'm planning to make my first 3D cake and I have the wilton choo choo train pan. My son turning 4 in march wants a thomas the tank engine cake. I've been looking at a lot of pictures etc and have decided on the train pan instead of carving it . Hoping to benefit from whatever advice anyone has to give me. Please excuse my newbie (read dumb) questions.

Can I use the enhanced cake formula on this site for the cake ? Will it hold up ? Or should I use pound cake ? What if I mix pound cake mix with a regular cake mix ?
How many cups of batter would I require to fill the pan ?
Any tips on mixing colours to get thomas right ?

Thanks

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:39am
post #2 of 7

I did a Thomas knock off a few years ago for my friend. I used the pan you are talking about. I can't remember off the top of my head how much batter the pan called for, but I want to say most Wilton 3d pans call for around 6 cups of batter. It will tell you in the instruction booklet that comes with it. I used regular cake mix (doctored with an extra egg and a package of pudding) and didn't have a problem, though some to suggest using a pound cake.

Do keep in mind that the shape of the pan and the shape of Thomas are slightly different. The kiddo I did the cake for didn't care or seem to notice though.
LL

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:40am
post #3 of 7

I never use pound cake mix or enhanced mixes, just regular betty crocker and I have made several trains. I use yellow or chocolate only and you need more than one mix to fill it enough. Most say to use 6 cups for the 3d pans, I fill a little more. Make sure you tie it up tightly and put it on a cookie sheet to catch spills.

lagunacakelady Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 8:29am
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much mbelgard and texasugar. That is such a cute cake. I do know about the difference in shape. I'm planning to make it similar to what you have made texasugar. My son won't mind, he's not yet fanatic about Thomas icon_biggrin.gif . I checked the instruction booklet but it didn't say how many cups of batter..just to fill it up to the brim. So I'll need more than one mix to fill it up.

Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 9:58am
post #5 of 7

I also did a Thomas cake with the 3D choo choo pan. I tend to carve the cake a tiny bit to get some of the same shaping as Thomas. I think I have the pic in my photos. The second time I tried this pan, I used only one mix and baked as directed. The cake didn't rise enough and it wouldn't support itself. If I have a request for this cake now, I plug the little hole with aluminum foil and bake the two halves separate. That way I know it will work right for me.

lagunacakelady Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:58am
post #6 of 7

Thanks VAcakelady. I better make one and see how it goes.

autumnsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autumnsmom Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 7

I used the Wilton choo choo train pan, I just used a cake mix from the grocery store and it held up fine, I used the whole mix. I also used pull n peel twizzlers for the red stripes on the top and to go on the sides. Just an idea, my nephew loved eating the twizzlers also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%