What Kind Of Wire Should I Attach Butterflies With?

Decorating By jenniferhattery Updated 6 Mar 2007 , 5:42pm by ShirleyW

jenniferhattery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferhattery Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a whimsical butterfly and ladybug cake for my daughters' birhtdays. They are a week apart and my oldest is turning 5 and she is my social butterfly and my youngest will be 1 hence the ladybugs, lol. I need to know what type of wire I should use to attach ladybugs to, I want them to look like they are flying off the top of the cake. I've seen the technique used alot lately and I have floral wire but I don't think that will be strong enough. The butterflies are 2 1/4" and made out of nylon so they aren't real heavy. And I think I'm just going to make the ladybugs out of fondant to put all over the cake. I'm open to any suggestions! The party is on March 25! Thanks in advance!!

5 replies
nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 6

I've made fondant butterflies on white floral wire on a cake once before. Actually made about 8 or so last night for an upcoming wedding cake. Seems to work really well.
You can get get heavier gauge floral wire too if you think the thinner stuff would not work for you.
HTH, Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 6

Hi. I tape several pieces of wire together with florist tape to make the wire stronger. I hope this helps

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 6

If you go to a "Michaels" or any hobby shop they sell all different size wires and you can find what you think will hold up your creations!!!!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 6

If I remember right, the lower the number on the floral wire the stronger it is and if you want a more bender one go with a higher number.

here is a link to help you;

http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/beadwire.html

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 6

On this cake I rolled the paste over a ridged board and cut out the stars so they could be wired, the wire is dipped in gum glue and threaded up the ridge in the paste. But for a ladybug I would use a piece of floral wire #26 gauge and bend the end into a small open hook by bending it with a pair of tweezers or even your finger. Dip just the hook into gum glue and from under the bugs stomach gently push the hook in about halfway up, then gently pull it back out a little ways until you feel that hook grab onto the soft paste. Pinch the bugs body where it meets the wire to secure it. Stick it into a piece of styrofoam block to set until dry and hard.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=197

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%