Thanks for sharing.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:45pm
post #182 of 344

I'm going to try these today! But the recipe shown says

Quote:
Quote:

Mix � cup sugar and � light corn syrup in a two cup glass measuring cup

All I see is a box instead of measurments. icon_sad.gif Exactly how much sugar and syrup does it take?

thanks

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #183 of 344

It is one-half cup sugar and one-half cup light corn syrup.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #184 of 344

First of all Big Thanks to SweetResults for the instruction and WOW I'm amazed at how real those bottles look!!
I read this whole thread, but I still have a couple of questions:
When you make the rubber mold it comes out soft so, how do you pour the hot liquid(sugar) and coat the mold?? and, if these bottles break are they sharp like glass?
Ok, thank you!!

Rosie2 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:21pm
post #185 of 344

Anyone outhere? or maybe too busy doing sugar bottles...? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ibmoser Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #186 of 344

Rosie - I did have some difficulty with the flexibility of the latex molds. I wore close-fitting latex gloves covered by those cotton candy-makers gloves and used hot pads to cradle the mold. I held and swirled with one hand and poured with the other hand. I poured fairly small amounts and kept the mold moving. At times, I had to use both hands to hold the mold to keep the sides of the bottle from sticking together - the soft mold wants to collapse from the heat and weight, but it can be done! Haven't broken one yet (crossing fingers and knocking on wood), but sugar shards can be kinda sharp. Not quite like glass, though, but worthy of respect.

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:36pm
post #187 of 344

I just tried to make the mold out of the rubber latex and when i rolled it off i i turned it right side out and it had no form and was just like loose piece of latex. Does anyone know what i did wrong?

Rosie2 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #188 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

Rosie - I did have some difficulty with the flexibility of the latex molds. I wore close-fitting latex gloves covered by those cotton candy-makers gloves and used hot pads to cradle the mold. I held and swirled with one hand and poured with the other hand. I poured fairly small amounts and kept the mold moving. At times, I had to use both hands to hold the mold to keep the sides of the bottle from sticking together - the soft mold wants to collapse from the heat and weight, but it can be done! Haven't broken one yet (crossing fingers and knocking on wood), but sugar shards can be kinda sharp. Not quite like glass, though, but worthy of respect.

Thank you so much for your response Ibmoser!! I figured this is a process you have to practice. A lot of you are 'naturals' and can do this at first try...in my case I probaby have to try 100 times icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
Thank you again!

ibmoser Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #189 of 344

Ibain - how many coats of latex did you apply? My first mold was only about 6 coats, and I really had to struggle with it. I put 10 layers on the second mold, and it was a little easier. Both molds, however, will hold their shape if I shake them out and stand them up - they look like white bottles sitting on the counter. Maybe you just need more layers?

lbain Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #190 of 344

im not sure i put 12 coats because thats what it said to do...maybe i didnt let it dry long enough between coats? how long did u wait?

ibmoser Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #191 of 344

This was an experiment for me, so I had plenty of time. I coated the bottles over a two-day time period and then gave them 24 hours to cure before removing. Even now, two months and several uses later, they still hold their shape. Maybe I put slightly thicker coats than you? I brushed one coat on horizontally, the next coat vertically, and kept alternating for better coverage.

lbain Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm
post #192 of 344

okay that explains it then... haha my jar of latex said u could dry it with a hair dryer between coats so thats what i did. But I did all of my coats in a 2 HOUR period and let dry for a few hours! okay I will try your way because I am in no rush! THANKS!

lbain Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #193 of 344

OKAY yaY!!! I just finished my mold for the second time and it worked!!! the only thing is that the top of the bottle kinda has a hole in it....any suggestions???

shenninger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shenninger Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm
post #194 of 344

Okay, after sitting around watching everyone else try these sugar bottles I finally got a request for a 21st birthday cake and I knew just what to do. It took several tries and I think I got better with each one; I finished the cake and the birthday girl LOVED IT! Yippee! Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and the one who started it. I would have never been able to do this with out all the information.
LL

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #195 of 344

Those look really great! I've been watching this thread also in hopes of trying this for a 21st Birthday! Did you make your own labels?

Rosie2 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:05pm
post #196 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenninger

Okay, after sitting around watching everyone else try these sugar bottles I finally got a request for a 21st birthday cake and I knew just what to do. It took several tries and I think I got better with each one; I finished the cake and the birthday girl LOVED IT! Yippee! Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and the one who started it. I would have never been able to do this with out all the information.

Oh WOW, these are awesome!!! your bottles came out perfect thumbs_up.gif how did you do the bottle caps??

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:00pm
post #197 of 344

thanks I can't wait to try this .I love it

GrandmaG Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #198 of 344

When I made my ice the tin foil wouldn't come off of the hardened sugar! What could I do different? Thanks!

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #199 of 344

thank you !!!! thank you!!!!! i can't wait to try this!!!! icon_lol.gif

GrandmaG Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:25am
post #200 of 344

Ok, here is my attempt at a sugar bottle! Still don't know what to do with the sugar sticking to the foil for the ice look. I might try using a silicone pan next time.
LL

nydivagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nydivagirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #201 of 344

Your sugar bottles are amazing. I have never used sugar or latex molds as yet. I really would like to, where do I start and what basic supplies would I need to make one sugar bottles as my first project?. I know this may be aggressive for a first sugar project but I would like to give it a shot! Or what would you suggest I do as a first project with sugar? Thanks for your help this is a wonderful site.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:55pm
post #202 of 344

great! Thanks for sharing!

ibmoser Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #203 of 344

GrandmaG - fabulous bottle - what a wonderful cake!

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #204 of 344

I used the following materials:

• 1. two stirring sticks from the paint dept at Home Depot
    2. long nail
    3. cork covered with thin clear plastic (so the silicone didn't seep in)
    4. mailing tube from Staples cut to cover bottle size
    5. one side of the mailing tube lid
    6. Smooth-On OOMOO30

I put the bottle up side down on the cork and then fit the mailing tube onto its lid. Then I poured the Smooth-on stuff over it.

I waited 6 hours and had my mold.

Galler Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:54pm
post #205 of 344

Mailing tube which I cut down to the size of the bottle I found at Staples:
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1_Staples-White-Mailing-Tubes---1-Pack_15475_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

Smooth-On is silicone rubber compound:
http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=1136

I found it at Pearl Art & Craft Supplies and Utrecht Art Supply and you can order it from the Smooth-On website...they have distributors you can go to listed as well http://www.smooth-on.com/distributor.php

I did NOT find it at Michael OR AC Moore

Rosie2 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #206 of 344

Thank you for taking the time Galler, your pics and instructions are awesome.

odellluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odellluz Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #207 of 344

Wow great pic of illistrations. Now my question is how do you make the sugar for the bottles and do you poor it in hot or how is it done. I am excited try these.

Thank you

Luz

odellluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odellluz Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #208 of 344

Your bottles are the best I have seen.

Luz in NM

tabbie389 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabbie389 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #209 of 344

Thanks for the information! icon_biggrin.gif

Galler Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #210 of 344

SweetResults has all the sugar information and much more listed for you here: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=147691&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%