Did You See It? Elvis Cake Challenge...

Lounge By JennT Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 3:23am by pcake

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 4:37am
post #1 of 30

The cakes were pretty neat. I think Duff needs to work on the details more, instead of just having a cool idea and not being able to execute it completely. The winner was definitely very well deserving. And the newcomer, Flora, did an amazing job, I thought....best work for a first-timer that I've ever seen in one of these competitions.

29 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 4:39am
post #2 of 30

I loved Mike's cake. To me, it seems like Duff doesn't take it too seriously, but he does have a good time. He had such a good attitude about the Mystery cake fiasco.

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 4:40am
post #3 of 30

hey guys!
I just posted a questions about the show. Did you guys catch the link or the exact recipe for Duff's buttercream frosting? icon_cry.gif

JennT Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 4:41am
post #4 of 30

Yeah, he does seem to really take it all in stride very well. I would just love, for once, to see one of those cool ideas of his actually make it!! lol icon_razz.gif

JennT Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 4:46am
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

hey guys!
I just posted a questions about the show. Did you guys catch the link or the exact recipe for Duff's buttercream frosting? icon_cry.gif

The link they showed was just www.foodnetwork.com I just searched for it there, but couldn't find it icon_sad.gif

chefdot Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 4:53am
post #6 of 30

nope, and the link was longer like www.foodnetword.com/something or other. i saw the backslash and something but by the time i saw it, it was gone. icon_sad.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 4:57am
post #7 of 30

YAY!!!!! Mike finally won!!!! I wonder what CP would have made if she were in it? Hmmmmmm.....

I think Duff's novelty is fading with every challenge....sorry to say...
but that Bellagio chick was FABULOUS!!!! I loved her style.....she must have been so frustrated when her guitar broke!!!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 6:12am
post #8 of 30

I have the show on my TiVO and the link is just www.foodnetwork.com

I am so happy that Mike finally won!! and I'm also glad he mentioned he was robbed on the mystery cake challenge, even though we all knew it.

Patty

chefdot Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 30

hmmm... i could have sworn i saw a backslash... well i will keep trying to find it. icon_cry.gif

Mac Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 30

chefdot--
I think Duff is using the buttercream recipe that is Kim Morrison's Vanilla Buttercream Icing from Food Network. The ingredients seem very much the same. I have also emailed Duff to see if he would share it agian. I will let you know if I hear from him.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 30

icon_smile.gif I think Duff should not be there..Since he is there to make cakes and not to "Have Fun", he should at least be more serious about making more competitive looking cakes. I like those chefs who take their work more seriously.. Their work is more presentable and really something which we can call the fruit of their labor. Their work speak for themselves. The hardworking Chefs have more integrity.. icon_smile.gif

chefdot Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 30

Duff's assistant Mary just emailed me the recipe! woohoo! icon_biggrin.gif
Here it is if any of you want it!

French Buttercream
Recipe courtesy Duff Goldman, Charm City Cakes, Baltimore Maryland

Ingredients:
10 egg whites
15 Oz. granulated sugar
2 1/2 pounds of room temperature butter

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 min
Yield: Roughly four pounds of buttercream (enough to ice a 3-tier cake)

Equipment:
5 qt. mixer w/ bowl and whip attachment
Rubber Spatula

1)  Start whipping egg whites slowly in the mixer by themselves (no sugar or butter yet) until the whites are foamy. Make sure to have a completely clean and dry bowl when you start your process, any fat or liquid at all in the bowl will stunt the protein development of the albumen (egg white protein) and you will not have a proper meringue at the end, the results could be disastrous.
2)  Increase the speed of the mixer and slowly start adding the sugar until all the sugar is incorporated.
3)  Once all the sugar is in, increase the speed of the mixer even further and whip until the mixture is shiny and stiff. You now have a meringue. You know when your meringue is done when you pull out the whip, hold it horizontal, and if you have what looks a sparrows beak on the end of the whip.
4)  Replace the whip, turn the mixer on medium and start adding the butter a bit at a time, once all the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer on high and leave it for a while. Depending on the weather, the buttercream could take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to form. You will know when it has formed when you hear the motor of the mixer starts to slow down and whine a little bit, also, when you first add the butter, your meringue will break down and look nasty, this is good and is what you want. When the buttercream is done, the mixture will be homogeneous and consistentand tasty.
5)  Remove the buttercream from the bowl and place in an airtight container. Buttercream can be kept at room temperature for a few days or in the fridge for a week or two, but always use warm buttercream when icing a cake. To warm up the buttercream, put it back in the mixer using the whip or the paddle, and apply direct heat with a propane torch you can find at any hardware store.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 7:13pm
post #13 of 30

I was happy to see Mike making it finally. His cake was excellent. I also wonder if Colette were in the challenge, if he would have won. Sometimes I think she wins because of her name, even though there are better people in the competition. Mike is my favorite.

kibibi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kibibi Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 30

I really thought that everyone did really good. I loved the doggy with the blue suede shoe, i loved the evlis with all the fringe. I was glad they had people who should have been there unlike the cake diva. I missed the part were the judges critiqued them. i have to catch it the next time it comes on.

Lovabledes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovabledes Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 30

I thought everyone did an excellent job........I'm glad on who won it.....I was amazed on the guitars as tiers......

Betty

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 7:47pm
post #16 of 30

i was glad that mike won finally in first place. now for duff he plays around to much. and i'm starting not to like him to much. i didn't like the idea of the judges telling them what they thought of their cake as in what was wrough with it. they could have left that out..

shaddi

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 9:55pm
post #17 of 30

I'm sorry, but I LOVE Duff! I think he just absolutely loves what he does so much, that he's just happy to do and work with people he admires (remember, Mike is his Obi-Wan Kenobi)- which is why it looks like he may not take it that seriously.

But, if he did worked on some of the small details (the rotating cake would have been great) I think he'd take it next time.

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 10:36pm
post #18 of 30

Its was a great show, glad Mike won his work was fabulous. As for Duff he still has to droof that he has what it takes to be on one of these competitions. So far he only has been the clown for the show.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:33am
post #19 of 30

I like Duff, too! Yes, he jokes but it's part of his appeal. Check out his site and you'll see he doesn't make shabby cakes. No doubt Mike deserved to win, he is, like his shop title says, amazing. he has incredible detail. Colette I love and is more whimsical, everyone has their own style. thumbs_up.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:38am
post #20 of 30

FYI, Duff's buttercream recipe is IMBC. It's not a secret recipe. I love Duff b/c he has fun. He's still relatively new to decorating and has fun with it.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:41am
post #21 of 30

Is it really bubblez? Never used it before and his sounded good.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 4:39am
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

Duff's assistant Mary just emailed me the recipe! woohoo! icon_biggrin.gif
Here it is if any of you want it!...

To warm up the buttercream, put it back in the mixer using the whip or the paddle, and apply direct heat with a propane torch you can find at any hardware store.

Thanks so much for the recipe...I know they said that the sugar actually "cooks" the eggs.....call me naive....but is this for real? No cooking? Safe to keep out of the fridge for a couple of days? Please confirm before I send my family to the emergency room.... icon_biggrin.gif

BTW...isn't it ironic that the judges reamed poor little Duffy for this exact thing! (heating it with a blowtorch) What is so bad? Are they worried about the propane fumes? I think the sugar might kill 'em first!
I also like Duff but after watching him on 2 challenges, I think it's just not for him.....it's not for everyone....he needs private time to work.

Mac Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:19am
post #23 of 30

Adven68--
I'm with you--just exactly how does the sugar "cook" the egg whites when it is not hot itself. I emailed Duff again to make sure about the raw egg whites and they said the same thing...the sugar "cooks" the egg whites."

Apparently I must have slept through this experiment in lab or possibly homemaking in high school.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:27am
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

apply direct heat with a propane torch you can find at any hardware store.

That was so funny, to see him do that and all the judges go OHHH!! icon_eek.gif
did he just do that? That is just not done. Apparently, it is done! shhh.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:18pm
post #25 of 30

Me thinks Duff forgot a step. icon_smile.gif I always suggest trying Martha's recipe for first time IMBC. The basic technique is to heat sugar and water on the stove and then the hot syrup mixture to the eggwhites. Then, slowly add room-temp butter.

hth

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:09pm
post #26 of 30

thumbs_up.gif I too am glad that Mike FINALLY won and he was very humbled about it!!
At first, I didn't think he was going to find his cake pieces from the airport. Hmmm,,what airline was that to NOT use? hehe........

I agree that Doug should not be competing,,he doesn't seem to take it seriously, and his work looks sloppy and rushed..I think the day he does win,,I will eat one of my dummy cakes!!!!

Thanks for the recipe for the buttercream!!!!!!!!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 6:23pm
post #27 of 30

All the cakes were great but I was also glad to see Mike win. Hopefully the newcomer will be able to participate in future challenges. Her work was fantastic.

I think Duff is fun. One day I may have to visit his store since I don't live too far from Baltimore. Maybe I could persuade him to let me be his assistant on the next challenge?LOL (probably NOT)icon_smile.gif

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:56pm
post #28 of 30

I saw it on my TIVO and watched it more than 3 times! I'm so HAPPY to see that Mike won. He really deserved it. Duff is funny - I enjoyed his sense of humor. The newcome gal did a great job, too. The dog is cute, too, but it wasn't fancy enough to me, though. If I have a company party, I would choose Mike's, because it looks so professional.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:06pm
post #29 of 30

I'm glad Mike won too! I was disappointed in the last challenge - I thought his was the best. I thought Duff did much better this time. He was more serious and still had fun. If you can't have fun with it - why do it! As for the torch - don't they use one on creme brule? Wouldn't the flame kill anything they might otherwise have to worry about?

Deb

pcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pcake Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:23am
post #30 of 30

Hey chefdot,
Duff's butter cream if called French butter cream and you can find the receipt just by . it or find it on foodnetwork.com. Hope that helps. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%