How Would You Go About Making A Rainbow To Place On A Cake?

Decorating By chefshar Updated 6 Mar 2007 , 2:25am by KrisD13

chefshar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefshar Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 4

My youngest DD Heather's Birthday is in April and she wants a My Little Pony theme.
Would love to do a scene something like this for her cake, http://www.hasbro.com/mylittlepony/default.cfm?page=Entertainment/game&id=924

How would you go about making or finding a rainbow to look like this for a cake?

Thanks for all your help. icon_smile.gif
Sharlene & Heather

3 replies
Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 4

Do you mean like a stand up rainbow? I just like got "The Whimsical BakeHouse", and I was struck by how much one could possibly do with chocolate. Since a rainbow would most likely be heavy and would require a lot of support to keep it up AND not crush the cake, maybe you could consider doing it out of thin chocolate like they do in that book? Of course, then how would you stand it up? Hmmm.

chefshar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefshar Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:23am
post #3 of 4

Hi Sugarbunz, yes a stand up Rainbow.
Thanks for the idea, will have to look for that book too.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:25am
post #4 of 4

I made a stand-up rainbow out of Royal Icing (colorflo method). It wasn't too heavy, either. It didn't sink into the cake at all. It's the horse/farming pic in my gallery.

What about making it in the Royal or chocolate, and attaching a base to it? Then if you wanted, you could cover it with puffy clouds. Mine stood on it's own in puffy clouds at the ends of the rainbow, but the base was an option.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%