Volley Ball Cake

Decorating By pluto6210 Updated 7 May 2007 , 9:47pm by anoldhippy

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 15

I have to make a volley ball cake for a friends dtrs graduation party and need help! I know that Wilton has a ball cake pan but has anyone decorated it as a volley ball. If you could help or point me to a pic I would greatly appreciate it! thumbs_up.gif

14 replies
deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 15

I have the ball pan but haven't tried any of the balls yet (well not that kind of balls anyway icon_redface.gif ). But I did make a volleyball player cake you may be interested in - or not - just thought I would share!

LGL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LGL Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 15

In the 6" Wilton ball cake, they include directions for all types of ball designs, including soccer.

Or, you could use 2 metal bowls and bake in those. Another idea is to just carve a ball.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 15

Have you tried a search in the galleries? If you type in volleyball, there is about 1 1/2 pages of cakes. I like too many to pick 1 or 2. icon_confused.gif I used to play, "many moons ago," so I'm a little biased. icon_biggrin.gif Have fun with it and good luck!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 15

http://www.wilton.com/cake/shapedpans/pdf%5C2105-6506SportsBall.pdf

wiltons instructions for the volleyball using the sportsball pan set .

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks Melysa! I have to make a soccer ball cake next month. Does anyone know how many servings you would get out of this? Thanks in advance.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 15

I just did one last month it's in my photos, I did a half ball they only wanted a 1/4 sheet one mix. So whatever that serves. Have fun with the stars hundreds of them. icon_cry.gif

melysa Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmn4881

Thanks Melysa! I have to make a soccer ball cake next month. Does anyone know how many servings you would get out of this? Thanks in advance.

if i recall, i think i used it once and it took about 5 cups of batter, so less than a typical cake mix from a box. my guess would be 8-10 party size servings. the pan is about 7 inches high and 20 inches diameter, so really not a large pan. if you need a lot of cake, you could consider placing it on top of another cake. volleyball....you could use crushed cookies to mimic sand and maybe a few daisies or something off to the side (unless the cake cant be too girly!)

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 15

I made a volleyball graduation cake last year and used 1/2 of the Wilton ball pan. I frosted it with buttercream and used mmf over that (very easy, never had used it before). I then used the pattern included with the pan and placed it over the cake. I then lightly pressed, you don't want to rip the fondant, with a fondant tool to make volleyball indentations on the ball. After removing the pattern I pressed more firmly to make deeper impressions on the ball. I let the impressions set ( several hours) then I used black frosting coloring (diluted) thumbs_up.gif in the impressions to make them more visible. I have to admit it turned out very cute. I just place the ball on one of the corners and decorated alittle more and it was perfect. Sorry I don't have a pictue though.

melysa Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 15

a cake mix or average recipe says it serves 12 (generously) or 24 cupcake size servings, and i THINK about 7 cups of batter. so for this pan set, using 5 cups of batter, about 8-10 normal servings or 15-20 SMALL servings.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:23am
post #11 of 15

I USED THE DOME CAKE PAN FIRST TIME LAST WEEK AND THE CAKE PAN MANUAL HAD THE INSTRUCTIONS WORD TO WORD, ON THE SOCCER BALL SPECIFICALLY. NOW, THE PENTAGONS AND OCTOGONS ARE REAL TRICKY TO DO AND YOU NEED TO PRACTICE ON PAPER FIRST. MY HUSBAND HAD TO USE A TOOTHPICK ON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING, ON CAKE, AND JUST MADE THE DESIGNS WITH TOOTHPICK, THEN I JUST TRACED THEM WITH BLACK ICING AND WHITE ICING,, AND FILLED IN SPOTS. NOTHING TOO CRAZY.

JENS CREATIVITY

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks Melysa for the wilton link icon_biggrin.gif

susieq76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq76 Posted 7 May 2007 , 7:51pm
post #13 of 15

I made one for an end of the year VB party last year- its in my gallery!

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 7 May 2007 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 15

here is one I made....
LL

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 7 May 2007 , 9:47pm
post #15 of 15

when making a sports ball or anything using the star tip...how do you keep the icing from drying out? I have made several ball cakes and a pumkin and the icing seems to dry out fast and just crumbles off the cake when you cut into the cake? Any suggestions>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%