Attaching Ribbon To Cake

Decorating By Heather13 Updated 5 Mar 2007 , 4:25pm by Heather13

Heather13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather13 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 7

I could use a little advice from you more experienced CCers. I am making my first wedding cake this weekend for a friend and she would like real ribbon wrapped around each layer of the cake.
I am making a 3 tiered square cake (12", 8" and 6") with ribbon wrapped around the bottom of each tier. The ribbon she bought is a sheer wired ribbon.
My question is, should I leave the wire in or take it out before trying to put in on the cake? Which do you think will work best?
Also, how do you attach ribbon to the cake? I have seen it attached with corsage pins and also with tape.
Thanks in advance!

6 replies
JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 7

I just did a cake that I put a ribbon around. It was a round cake and not a square like your will be and it did not have wire in it. I just royal icing to attach mine and it stayed very nicely.

If I had to guess I would (and this is ONLY a guess) that putting a ribbon the a cake that had wire in it would be hard. I'm anxious to see what the other replies to this will be. Maybe someone has a secret to doing this. I've seen some really nice ribbons but have shyed away from buying them because of the wire that was in them. I never even thought of trying to pull the wires out...LOL!

Chrissy

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 7

If you're using fondant, you could attach with a bit of water or edible glue, not sure about BC. Sorry I can't reallyhelp with the wire question, I would personally take it out if it wouldn't ruin the ribbon.

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 7

I don't know about the wire in the ribbon. I haven't tried it before. It might help you to get nice crisp corners on a square cake though. To attach ribbon to a cake, I usually use a small piece of fondant. I get my finger wet and wet the fondant and use it like glue. I "glue" the two ends of the ribbon together on the back side of the cake.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 7

it shouldn't be a problem. I iron the ribbon to makesure it is perfectly flat first, though.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 7

Is the cake covered in some kind of BC or fondant? If it is a BC, make sure you have a backing on the ribbon or the grease from the icing will bleed through. You can either put contact paper on the back or I've even heard some decorators run the ribbon under an iron over wax paper. The heat melts the wax onto the back of the ribbon. I haven't tried that though. I ususally iron the ribbon and then put the contact paper on the back. I typically would remove the wire, but since it is square, you may be able to keep sharp edges on the corners with it. Then I attach it with either RI or BC. Some people don't like to use pins since that's putting metal into the cake.

Heather13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather13 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7

The cake will be covered in BC. I was thinking of leaving the wire in to get the sharp corners, but if it is not necessary, I will take it out. Maybe I'll cut a small piece and try it both ways to see what works better icon_razz.gif .

Thanks for all the advice. I think I might try making some RI to attach the ribbon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%