Using Pudding As A Filling

Baking By Amy28 Updated 19 Aug 2019 , 8:19pm by MBalaska

Amy28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy28 Posted 26 Aug 2004 , 1:26am
post #1 of 23

When you fill a cake with pudding, what do you do to prevent it from squishing out the sides?

I'm afraid an icing dam wouldn't hold, and I don't know how icing + pudding would taste together.

Do you make the pudding extra thick?

22 replies
Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 26 Aug 2004 , 2:24am
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy28

When you fill a cake with pudding, what do you do to prevent it from squishing out the sides?

I'm afraid an icing dam wouldn't hold, and I don't know how icing + pudding would taste together.

Do you make the pudding extra thick?

I personally like the flavor of pudding and buttercream. I haven't received any complaints from the family either icon_smile.gif

One thing you can do (I do this if I have to travel a long distance)
Is create a shallow well inbetween layers. Or if you are using 3 or more layers, torted, hollow out the entire middle layer(s).

Here is a crude diagram showing showing you what I mean:
As you can see above. By creating a well you can add more filling than with just the icing dam. Even though the well will contain the pudding, I still use icing between the layers to "glue" them together.

To create the well I use a smaller cake circle as a guide, then gently "trace" around it with a serated edge knife. Then I use a spoon to help "dig" the cake out.

Please note that you do not want to make the well very deep, especially if you are stacking layers. Otherwise the your cake will probably fall over or smoosh itself.

I hope this all makes sense and helps! Please let me know how it worked out for you thumbs_up.gif

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 26 Aug 2004 , 3:23am
post #3 of 23

Pudding and buttercream go together all of the time and they will be fine together.. What your going to want to do is get a large open end tip and make that your dam around the cake. I use a 30-2a or a 30-1a tip when I am adding filling to cakes..

When filling a cake your going to use about

Sheet Cake
9X13 --- 1 1/2 cups
10X15 --- 2 cups
12X18 --- 3 1/3 cups

Round Cake
5" --- 1/4 cup
6" --- 1/3 cup
7" --- 2/3 cup
8" --- 3/4 cup
9" --- 1 cup
10" --- 1 1/4 cups
11" --- 1 1/2 cups
12" --- 1 3/4 cups
14" --- 2 1/3 cups
15" --- 3 cups
16" --- 3 2/3 cups
18" --- 5 2/3 cups

This chart is to be used as approximate amounts some sizes may take more and some make take less..

I hope this helps you ..

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 26 Aug 2004 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 23

This may sound stupid, but I have to ask as I am unsure!

Can you use just regular prepared puddings as fillings -- choc, van, strawberry, etc?

I've never used anything other than buttercream. I really want to start trying some fillings!

Thanks!

Zabrip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zabrip Posted 26 Aug 2004 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 23

southerncake....Yup its perfectly fine, people do that all the time. There are also pre made cake fillings that you can buy in 2 lb plastic sleeves and use, these dont need refridgeration.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 26 Aug 2004 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 23

As Zabrip has said if you use the fillings in the 2 lb plastic sleeves these dont need refridgeration. If you use regular pudding or the pudding that you would put in the kids lunches that are pre made you will need to refridgerate the cake.

Quote:
Quote:

This may sound stupid, but I have to ask as I am unsure!

Just a reminder nothing is Stupid if your unsure or you dont know something then please ask and one of us will do our best to help you or to find the answer.

Also remember you will learn something new everyday no matter what level you are as a cake decorator someone does something different or there is a question that is asked that maybe you dont know.. So please please please dont ever post that you have a stupid question or that this may sound stupid because they are not.. We all started at the begaining and have worked to get to the level of decorators we are and work everyday to be better..

libysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libysue Posted 26 Aug 2004 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 23

i've filled many cakes with pudding and never had any problems. if you're pudding has a "strong taste" (...dark choc etc) to it just use a thin layer of it. be creative ... we mixed vanilla (or choc if you prefer) pudding, an equal amount of whip cream, and a capful of almond extract for one of our most popular fillings, they were both really good, just different enough to catch the customer's attention and keep them coming back again! thumbs_up.gif

Amy28 Posted 27 Aug 2004 , 2:00am
post #8 of 23

Thank you all so much! (My dinner party huests this weeekend thank you too!)
icon_biggrin.gif

Amy28 Posted 27 Aug 2004 , 2:02am
post #9 of 23

oops...that's 'guests'...not 'huests'. icon_redface.gif

saranac2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saranac2000 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 1:24am
post #10 of 23

Quite a ways after the fact but I typically mix 1 box of instant pudding with 2 cups heavy cream which gives the filling a thick, easy to work with consistency-very rich, still has the flavor of your choice & people have absolutely raved about them!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 3:12am
post #11 of 23

Do you use one small box or large box?

Thanks
Leily

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 3:37am
post #12 of 23

I almost always use pudding as filling. Its sooo good. I just use the recipe on the back of the box that says its for pie filling. I have in a pinch used a snack pack of vanilla pudding for filling and it worked for me just fine. icon_smile.gif

saranac2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saranac2000 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 12:14pm
post #13 of 23

The Jell-O size is 3.3 (ounces, I think) & I've also used Wal-Mart's 3.4 oz or anything similar-they've really been yummy-good luck!!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Do you use one small box or large box?

Thanks
Leily

The small box calls for 2 cups, the large box calls for 3 cups.

I know I am late jumping in on this, but I just wanted to say I have always used pudding for my basic filling, and I get tons of compliments! Everyone just seems so thrilled that there is pudding in the cake! lol. To me, it really adds to the cake. Some people aren't crazy about icing, so I didn't want to stick it in the middle of the cake too.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 23

I have always utilized the packaged instant pudding mixes for my "mousse" filling.. as I call it.. icon_smile.gif and I mix it with a combination of milk and heay cream 50/50 according to the package directions for the milk alone ( small 2 cups and large 3 cups) and beat it with an electric mixer (hand mixer is ok) till it looks like the consistancy of whipped cream. I make a buttercream dam around the cake layer and fill away. I always get great feedback from this. I have also used this filling with fresh fruit, banana, strawberry, peaches etc. Terrific!!!

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 23

Ok, now I'm getting hungry, and I'm glad this topic is coming up. I'm doing research for my bakery/cake business and would really love to get some of your favorite recipes (I have my first official cake testing coming up and need some ideas for cakes and fillings). I've done the basic cakes and filling (I've even used the cake mix doctor book, but I'm looking for more advance recipes for both (cake and filling). HELP!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 4:36pm
post #17 of 23

One of my most favorite combinations is a dark chocolate cake with a white chocolate mousse (made from the instant pudding mix) and fresh raspberries with either a buttercream or even a whipped cream frosting. thumbs_up.gif So YUMMY!!!!

JanetP188 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetP188 Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 1:28am
post #18 of 23

Question…do you mix it and put it right into the cake, or refrigerate to thicken first?  I've always left in fridge overnight, and then filled the cake.  Wondering if I can skip this step...

nickersonma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickersonma Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 1:42am
post #19 of 23

Where do you buy the 2 lb sleeves filled with pudding?  I have never seen them in stores

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickersonma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickersonma Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 6:07pm
post #21 of 23

Thank you, but isn't bavarian cream really different from vanilla pudding?

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 8:10pm
post #22 of 23

Vanilla pudding with extra vanilla...IMHO. You asked to identify the sleeve" pudding"  packing and availability. That is the type of product referenced. It comes in lots of flavors. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 8:19pm
post #23 of 23

there may be a thickener like gelatin in the Bavarian cream & cake fillings to thicken them up so they don't sog out your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%