My First Diaper Cake- How Fun!

Lounge By momsandraven Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm by KHalstead

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 37

I went to a baby shower last weekend, and since I made the cake I thought it would be fun to give a diaper cake for my gift. There are some really great 'how-to' articles on the internet. It was so fun to put together!! I have to say that the hardest part was controlling myself when purchasing all of the little goodies for the cake! LOL I can see now why these things are so expensive on the internet- those little goodies add up quickly. Still, it was fun, and I think it will be my standard gift at baby showers from now on! icon_smile.gif Just thought I'd share a pic, I think it turned out pretty cute.
LL

36 replies
MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 37

Nice Job!! I received two of these as gifts at my baby showers and they are awesome gifts! The parents-to-be will love it.

LivinInABox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LivinInABox Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 37

That's great! I made one last fall and it was bigger than most wedding cakes. LoL! Luckily I got the diapers for free, but I still managed to spend $60 or so on other goodies. I did mine in a Tigger theme. They make such great gifts.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 37

Beth, that is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! I made a few of them myself, they are fun.....

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 37

I have seen them before and yours is great!! How do you guys make them or where should I look. My sil's baby shower is in a few weeks!

lilladycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilladycreations Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 37

Where did you get the directions on the internet, did you have to pay. I want to make one for a shower I am hosting in February. Thanks.

momsandraven Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 37

Dodibug, here is a link to the directions I followed:
http://www.armystudyguide.com/militarybaby/baby_showers/cakes/how-to-build-the-ultimate.shtml

It doesn't really talk about the receiving blankets, etc wrapped around the diapers, but you just fold them into long strips and wrap them around the diapers, tape them in place and tie a ribbon around it.

I also used rubberbands to roll up the diapers instead of tying 56 little pieces of ribbon! Just don't do them real tight or they will tear the outside of the diaper. (Ask me how I know... icon_sad.gif )

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 37

Beautiful job! Yours looks A LOT better than what I've seen online. I haven't seen them wrapped in blankets before and they make it so much better!

LivinInABox Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 37

Definitely go with the rubberbands to roll up the diapers. Ribbon or string would take way too long. I did a very large cake and I ended up using just under 300 so make sure you have a decent supply. I used diaper pins to attach the items and hold the blankets, towels, etc in place. The first one that I made was pretty frustrating at first, but the end result is awesome. I got better as I made more. Wrapping the layers really does give it a nice look. Check places like E-bay for pictures and more inspiration. That was where I really looked to see how many diapers to use and what to include. I hope you don't mind that I'm sharing mine since others have asked about making them.

Mine included...

112 Huggies Size 1 Diapers
3 Receiving Blankets
1 Hooded Towel
1 Washcloth
1 Stuffed Tigger
1 Bib
2 Pacifiers
1 Rattle

The options for adding items are endless and you can really make it in any size and make it work for any budget.
LL

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 37

..gosh, they are all so cute. I made a bridal shower cake out of towels awhile ago....I'm gonna have to find the pics!

Great job!

LivinInABox Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

..gosh, they are all so cute. I made a bridal shower cake out of towels awhile ago....I'm gonna have to find the pics!

Great job!

That's an awesome idea too. I've always wanted to try one of those.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 37

I haven't seen one of these in probably 15 years--and it sure didn't look like this! Too cute! Now I want to try making one!

And MrsMissey--please post photos and how to for the bridal shower cake! I would love to be able to do that for a shower I'm attending in a few weeks!

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 37

Wow! This is such a creative idea!! I've never seen or heard of these before!! I love it!!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 37

I received a bridal shower one as a gift and loved it. She decorated it with silk flowers that matched my wedding flowers. Everyone thought it was a cake and when we passed it around the room for everyone to see a lady almost had a heart attack fearing the cake would fall on the floor.

I have also made a baby shower one out of diapers, then as a game we had people guess how many diapers were in the cake. I think I have a photo stored to my computer let me look.

Krise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krise Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:44pm
post #15 of 37

Very creative and a good looking thoughtfull gift! I love it.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:47pm
post #16 of 37

I really have to try this. They are so cute. thumbs_up.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:51pm
post #17 of 37

Here is mine...
LL

MrsMissey Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 11:52pm
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftots

I haven't seen one of these in probably 15 years--and it sure didn't look like this! Too cute! Now I want to try making one!

And MrsMissey--please post photos and how to for the bridal shower cake! I would love to be able to do that for a shower I'm attending in a few weeks!

..here is the one I made for my SIL bridal shower. Not a lot to it:
LL

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:16am
post #19 of 37

How creative MrsMissey, it really looks like a cake!

All the diaper cakes are great!

MrsMissey Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:23am
post #20 of 37

Thanks! They are cool aren't they! Now that I look at it...the cake looks almost like "sotas" or "cornelli lace".....didn't think of that before!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:47am
post #21 of 37

Wow, your diaper cakes and your wedding shower cake don't look like any I have seen on the net, yours are so much nicer! Hhmn, figures that cake decorators would do the most complex, detailed perfect ones, doesn't it? Love everyone's work and I bet the clean-up was more satisfying and didn't take as long! Plus no calories from icing leftovers! Wonderful work all!
Hugs Squirrelly

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:59am
post #22 of 37

they are all super cute.

momsandraven Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:43am
post #23 of 37

I love the other examples you all have posted! Very cool!
Squirrellycakes- you've got that right about the clean-up! LOL (Although the kids were a little disappointed not to get the 'cake filet'.)
WOW, LivinInABox- 300 diapers??! You are very generous! Mine was only 56 diapers (1 mega pack). Also had 2 receiving blankets, 1 fleece blanket, toy, rattle, teether, 3 pairs of mitts, 3 little caps, 3 sleeping gowns, 3 bibs, Aveeno baby lotion, body soap/shampoo, and diaper cream. (I really love Aveeno products, both for adults & babies!)

I'd love to see any other pics, baby or bridal!

dodibug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:34pm
post #24 of 37

Thank you all so much for the tips and advice! I've already gotten my sil's gift for her shower but I may have to make a version of this with the stuff I've gotten. Your creations are fantastic!!! I would love to also do MrsMissey's towel cake for the next bridal shower I'm going to but her bath sheets are $50 icon_eek.gif -can't afford that right now!! icon_lol.gif I'll have to wait till one of my target friends gets married!!! Thanks again guys!

CSN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSN Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:09pm
post #25 of 37

WOW!!! MrsMissey you are the bomb. That towel cake looks so real it makes me want to eat it. Beautiful. You are all so talented. Love this website, you all make my day. I also made a diaper cake last August. I will try to find a photo to post. MrsMissey could you please share the instructions to your towel cake?

dodibug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:12pm
post #26 of 37

I actually thought MrsMissey had posted the wrong pic it looks so real!!! icon_lol.gif

dodibug Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 7:05pm
post #27 of 37

Here is the one I ended up making. I made the recieving blankets with my new sewing machine too!! The parents last name is Angel and I managed to find a toy for the topper that said baby angel on the front and had wings on the back-so cute! Thanks again for all the help and tips!
LL

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 7:19pm
post #28 of 37

Dodibug that is adorable. Everyone's were absolutly adorable. Dodibug, how many diapers did you end up using? My SIL is having a baby this summer, now I have to make one!!!! icon_smile.gif

dodibug Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 7:21pm
post #29 of 37

Oh thanks! I used size 1 luvs 56 pack. The mommy to be really liked it so that made me really happy! I really like my sil-she's a sweetheart!

sparkleshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkleshine Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:14pm
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

I actually thought MrsMissey had posted the wrong pic it looks so real!!! icon_lol.gif

I thought it was the wrong cake too and had to go back to look at it! Very nice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%