Stupid Martha Stewart

Decorating By Alien_Sunset Updated 6 Feb 2006 , 4:23am by JennT

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:30pm
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftots

I love me some Martha.

That's funny!!! icon_lol.gif I love me some Martha too!!!!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:32pm
post #32 of 66

icon_smile.gif Whether some people like her or not, It really does not matter to her. She does not know us anyway !!! I like her inspite of what she did on that stock thing w/c is really now history.. That stock thing has nothing to do with what she does on TV or in her magazines. I have learned a LOT from her. I don't care if she is a Psycho or a criminal, I like her ..that's all that matters to me.. usaribbon.gif

Just my honest opinion ... icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:38pm
post #33 of 66

I could care less about Martha Stewart, I do care that she is a convicted felon, heaven help us if she is a psycho as well! One thing you can't call her is stupid...she got to keep all her money and her ability to continue making more money, no matter what! Janice

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:52pm
post #34 of 66

icon_smile.gif That's right, she's a millionaire we're not !

So what does she care either ...??? icon_smile.gif

It's A Good Thing !! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:59pm
post #35 of 66

I have had trouble with her recp. and some of her crafts- I have only seen her once on TV and noted a whole gaggle of people doing the cooking behind the scenes just in case one of them doesnt work out!
Since she was found guilty dont you have to have some sort of faith in the jiustice system that it works. Obviously she has paid her debt to society so it should no longer be an issue. She does have some lovely ideas,
icon_twisted.gif

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 6:10pm
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

I lived in a small mining city in Northern Ontario, in the 70's. The cable television hookup was done on an experimental basis, other larger cities had access to it for years. But Sudbury presented challenges because of the huge iron ore deposits and the geological challenges they produced to run lines and hookups to services and the interference they caused. I lived in a much smaller city, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, in the early 80's, because of the close proximity to the Soo Michigan, we had more television stations, access to American products sooner than some of the larger cities in Canada that were not close to an American border.
Now I live in Canada's capital city, the city from which the rest of the country is governed federally. And yet because of the population size, much smaller than the city of Toronto, we have access to far less things when it comes to decorating tools.

Squirrelly... I hear ya! I grew up in a little town where the Soo was the big city, and Sudbury was the edge of "southern Ontario" (at least to me!)

I now live south of Toronto, and the culture shock was something else! In White River, we had 4 TV channels WITH cable (1 was French, 1 was CBC, and I don't remember the other 2) and 2 radio stations (CBC and a station from the next town up the highway) The nearest high school and hospital were over 60 miles away in the next town.

My DH still (after 16 years in the south) laughs at me... I don't "get" many of the cultural references (many of them American) that he takes for granted.

As for MS... I don't have to like her personally (I don't KNOW her personally, so how could I?) but I LOVE the information and design know-how that she is responsible for making available to me, and everyone else! To have that much creative skill (even if she only thinks up 1/1000 of what gets put out under her name) and the business acumen to run that empire makes her an amazing woman!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 7:11pm
post #37 of 66

Uh, I guess my point in the beginning was this, sometimes people you know, family members, relatives, co-workers even, are charge, convicted and sent to prison for crimes they did not commit, some are even put to death in places where the death penalty exists.
Sometimes people wrongly charged, get acquitted at trial and sometimes they do not. Sometimes the only difference is how much money you can pay for a good lawyer, sometimes it is luck and sometimes just public opinion, either way guilty or innocent.
Until something like that happens to someone close to you, you go along completely believing in the justice system. You have a naive belief that people wouldn't be charged with a crime unless there was enough evidence. But evidence is often heresay, appearances, coincidence, bad luck, an over zealous police department or crown attorney looking for a conviction or someone to pin something on. Or sometimes just the nature of the crime makes it easier to set aside the requirements and bring people up on charges.
And sometimes people wrongly charged are acquitted but the headlines are never on the front page or nearly as large as they were when they were charged. It happens all the time, no matter where you live.
When you see a situation when someone is falsely charged, it makes you re-think every other case out there and unless you were there, unless there is absolutely not a shadow or shred of a doubt, well it makes you wonder. That was my point, there was some doubt cast on this case, maybe not enough to get her conviction overturned or a new trial but she has always claimed to be innocent. She served her sentence and is going on with her life, in the public view. And somehow I wonder if she was a he and not nearly as successful, if she would be subject to the same criticisms.
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 7:33pm
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

I lived in a small mining city in Northern Ontario, in the 70's. The cable television hookup was done on an experimental basis, other larger cities had access to it for years. But Sudbury presented challenges because of the huge iron ore deposits and the geological challenges they produced to run lines and hookups to services and the interference they caused. I lived in a much smaller city, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, in the early 80's, because of the close proximity to the Soo Michigan, we had more television stations, access to American products sooner than some of the larger cities in Canada that were not close to an American border.
Now I live in Canada's capital city, the city from which the rest of the country is governed federally. And yet because of the population size, much smaller than the city of Toronto, we have access to far less things when it comes to decorating tools.

Squirrelly... I hear ya! I grew up in a little town where the Soo was the big city, and Sudbury was the edge of "southern Ontario" (at least to me!)

I now live south of Toronto, and the culture shock was something else! In White River, we had 4 TV channels WITH cable (1 was French, 1 was CBC, and I don't remember the other 2) and 2 radio stations (CBC and a station from the next town up the highway) The nearest high school and hospital were over 60 miles away in the next town.

My DH still (after 16 years in the south) laughs at me... I don't "get" many of the cultural references (many of them American) that he takes for granted.

As for MS... I don't have to like her personally (I don't KNOW her personally, so how could I?) but I LOVE the information and design know-how that she is responsible for making available to me, and everyone else! To have that much creative skill (even if she only thinks up 1/1000 of what gets put out under her name) and the business acumen to run that empire makes her an amazing woman!

Heehee, well we moved from Sudbury to Timmins and once phoned the city to ask why they sent out salt trucks first and snowplows later, because in our minds, wouldn't you want to remove the snow and then salt, not salt and then remove it along with the snow? Anyway, the city official asked where we were from and when we said most recently, Sudbury, he stated that he was tired of hearing people from Southern Ontario coming up to Timmins and telling them how to do things. Haha, well the last time I checked Sudbury wasn't south, but...Yes, I fully understand what it is like to live up north and move to a larger southern Ontario area, quite a huge culture shock!
Hugs Squirrelly

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:16am
post #39 of 66

I didn't mean to upset anyone, I was just asking who Martha was!

Yes- it's tough sometimes living in the middle of nowhere. But we chose this life and so we also chose the consequences that come with it, such as having only 4 TV channels, one supermarket, only one newspaper(The West Australian) and limited facilities.

Thanks to those of you for sharing Martha's story.....I know who she is now! hehe

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:36am
post #40 of 66

That was a very informative and entertaining line of posts to read about Martha. I've subscribed to her magazine for years, watched her shows, and TRIED to duplicate some of her ideas, some successfully, some not so hot. LOL I think she's an inspiration to alot of people and I give her tons of credit for what she has done with her life before AND after her conviction. She's a true icon, in my book. A woman that will forever be copied, but never duplicated. icon_smile.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:38am
post #41 of 66

OMG we have to make some sort of short cuts, abbreviations for little SquirrellyCakes..whew!
After all this.. LOL I forgot what the heck we were talking about..

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 3:24am
post #42 of 66

*whining* Martha! Martha! Martha! Oops... wrong show. LOL

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 4:55am
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbaker

OMG we have to make some sort of short cuts, abbreviations for little SquirrellyCakes..whew!
After all this.. LOL I forgot what the heck we were talking about..

Well you know, "long and boring" has been working for me for so long, I am not sure if I can change. But I am considering "short and rude" as an alternative. What the heck, when you have a big ego, might as well go for long and rude, do you think that might work for me? icon_wink.gif
300 words a minute Squirrelly

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 6:56am
post #44 of 66

How about just "short and sweet?" icon_wink.gif Or just break your posts into chapters. LOL I get overwhelmed about 3 sentences into your long posts and then have to move on. I was wondering if you have voice recognition software. icon_confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by beany

Yes- it's tough sometimes living in the middle of nowhere. But we chose this life and so we also chose the consequences that come with it, such as having only 4 TV channels, one supermarket, only one newspaper(The West Australian) and limited facilities.

WOW, you are isolated! Sorry for assuming that since you had Internet access you were probably in a metropolitan area or something. Mea culpa!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 12:28pm
post #45 of 66

One of Martha Stewart's recipes is now an Easter tradition for my family. Every year, I make her little "boiled egg" cupcakes. They are sooo cute!

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 12:51pm
post #46 of 66

Squirrelly, I agree. I am not on this earth to judge but to serve and be judged. Only 1 person that can judge.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:23pm
post #47 of 66

Martha, Martha, Martha...you go girl !!!

I watch her everyday...love her new show and attitude; more down to earth and in touch with the human race icon_lol.gif

Martha is a very strong, intelligent individual who knows what she wants and is not afraid to go after it thumbs_up.gif

This all came about because she is a woman working in a man's world.

Yea, Martha all the way icon_wink.gif

_ChristyB_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ChristyB_ Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:23pm
post #48 of 66

Martha Stewart fan here! just made her lemon cake that she had on the cover of her January issue (only a much smaller version) and let me say it rocked!!!! That lemon curd was delish as was the entire cake! As far as her "crime" I always thought she handled it with grace. And yes, I love her new show....she does seem so much more down to earth than the last show portrayed her. Have been and always will be a MS fan!!!

Squirrelly - great posts! icon_lol.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 3:30pm
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

How about just "short and sweet?" icon_wink.gif Or just break your posts into chapters. LOL I get overwhelmed about 3 sentences into your long posts and then have to move on. I was wondering if you have voice recognition software. icon_confused.gif

Quote:

WOW, you are isolated! Sorry for assuming that since you had Internet access you were probably in a metropolitan area or something. Mea culpa!

Congratulations on your offering a well-deserved apology to Beany!

Cakepro Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 3:36pm
post #50 of 66

And congratulations to you on your shortest post ever! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif Just joshin' with ya!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 4:07pm
post #51 of 66
Quote:

And congratulations to you on your shortest post ever! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif Just joshin' with ya!

Actually I was being sincere in congratulating you on offering an apology. It is something we see all too infrequently.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 4:08pm
post #52 of 66

SquirrellyCakes
I hope I didnt offend you!!!!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif
YOUR A SWEETHEART!! No not long and boring, VERY informative!! gotta love the CC Nut!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 4:12pm
post #53 of 66

icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 4:28pm
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbaker

SquirrellyCakes
I hope I didnt offend you!!!!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif
YOUR A SWEETHEART!! No not long and boring, VERY informative!! gotta love the CC Nut!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

No kiddo, I figured you were likely joking but I have heard it before, haha and I do know there is truth in it! You can't fault people for stating the truth!
It is a bad habit I got into, likely because I have dealt with some people with learning disabilities and learned to detail explanations and instructions.
And to think at one time, I used to be painfully shy and barely open my mouth, don't you wish you had known me then, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 8:11pm
post #55 of 66

Lazy Susan...

It's not Martha, Martha, Martha...

It's ( me assuming my most teenage Jan Brady voice) " Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!"

icon_lol.gif mommachris

Caribou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caribou Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 5:17pm
post #56 of 66
Quote:

Quote:

Do you get any Australian news channels there?

No, but I do get international news channels which tell me what goes on outside of my city, state, country, and continent. icon_smile.gif I'm pretty sure The Australian and The Syndney Morning News, among other Aussie papers/websites have run stories on her.

I'm not calling you a liar; I'm just finding it incredible that you've never heard of her. When pretty people (or extremely rich people) fall, the world (or at least the media) revels in it. icon_sad.gif

You should check out her website. She's got some pretty cakes on there! icon_smile.gif

For the record, I like Martha and stood by supporting her as a fan through the "scandal" where she was used as an example to other celebs that "If we want to take you down, we'll find a way to do just that". Martha's case was supposed to be about Securities tampering and selling stocks with insider information which is illegal in this country...but it wasn't. When they couldn't prove that she was guilty of that, they pulled a Ken Starr and made up something else they could use on her to validate the millions they had already spent prosecuting her.

Martha does rub people the wrong way though. I watch her live show everyday and sometimes I just roll my eyes with the things she says.

As to "everyone" knowing or caring who she is, let's get real and stop being so ethnocentric. The rest of the world, for the most part, doesn't even live like we do. They don't have running water in many parts, let alone make their day about perfecting housekeeping and cake decorating. Martha's empire is entirely American and based on American ideals that aren't shared by the rest of the world and maybe shouldn't be. It's pretty elitist to worry with much of the things in her magazines when our unemployment rate and education system is what it is. People would love to live like Martha, but most don't and many wouldn't want to, just let's just be more open to understanding that America isn't the center of the universe and things that we may hold dear culturally might not mean squat to someone else. I doubt highly any of us would treasure a goat but in many countries, that's someone's livelihood. Those people probably don't care much about knowing how to stuff a duvet. LOL!

And Cake Pro, this wasn't a slam in anyway to you. I was just using your quote to make a general comment about Martha. So please don't take offense. It wasn't intended.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 10:32am
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

Lazy Susan...

It's not Martha, Martha, Martha...

It's ( me assuming my most teenage Jan Brady voice) " Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!"

icon_lol.gif mommachris

hehehehehehe

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 12:30pm
post #58 of 66

Martha has good advice on her website under Wedding Cake Basics.

Her ideas about considering cake designers and amateur decorators (like us) is encouraging.

And her explanation of why some cake designs cost more and the per serving cost, should help us be more confident when we're pricing our cakes.

Plus, there's some beautiful cakes on her website.

binks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
binks Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 3:25am
post #59 of 66

Who is Martha Stewart?
Why did she go to jail?

(Please don't hate me! I live in Australia and have not heard of her before.....)

I live in Australia too, I do know who Martha Stewart is but I have Austar tv so that is how I now who she is. Do not feel silly about not knowing who she is and I think the people that have reacted like you are stupid because you do not know who she is really need to think that maybe the whole world does not revolve around what goes on in American tv. Just my thoughts.

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 5:33pm
post #60 of 66

Yes Im jealous of Martha. Do I wish I had her organization skills-- dumb question!! Do I wish I could have her gardening skills? Another dumb question? Her money? uh, yeah!! Now how about the world's expectation of being perfect at all times? not in a million years!! She had built up her empire on showing people the right way to do things and she does somthing a little wrong, and the whole world is against her. Don't get me started on our justice system...... Can anyone say ENRON??

Anyway, I am totally addicted to her show. She seems more approachable since her time in prison. More relaxed. I am not a steadfast, don't say anything wrong against Martha type of person. But if she improves life for one person---isn't that why we're all here in the first place???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%