Best Fondant And Where To Get It?

Decorating By weelala Updated 7 Mar 2007 , 7:31am by oritdecor

weelala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weelala Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 6:50am
post #1 of 43

What do you think is the best quality/tasting fondant, and where did you find it? I live in Canada, so basically the only brand of fondant I have access to is Wilton =/

42 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 7:38am
post #2 of 43

I prefer Satin Ice Brand and get that from Pfeil and Holing: http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html But if you look around at a lot of on-line stores, most carry Satin Ice as well. The Baker's Kitchen in Ohio (http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/) carries it too and ships to Canada--they may be cheaper to for shipping to Canada, not sure though.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 7:47am
post #3 of 43

I haven't tried Satin Ice yet (though I intend to do so as soon as possible), but I like FondX. It's available at www.caljavaonline.com. It has a decent taste and handles well.

Just say no to Wilton fondant! icon_smile.gif

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 43

Ugh - Wilton fondant is the worst tasting! It looks beautiful and handles great, though. Anyway, I agree with the other person who posted - I really like Satin ice. I've tried Pettinice/Bakel's and I think it has a chalky/horrible taste (but not as bad as Wilton!). But honestly, for about a year now, I've been using marshmallow fondant, and I'm very happy with it. It tastes great and is a lot cheaper than store bought fondant. There's a couple tutorials on Cake Central that show you how to make it. And making it yourself carries an extra bonus, cuz you can color a large amount at a time, if you'll be using a lot of an extra color. For example, I've done cakes in black (for which I melt in a square of unsweetened chocolate, then add the black color) and red (most recently, on a Lightening McQueen cake). If you're doing a lot of one color, it's SO MUCH EASIER and faster to make a whole batch a particular color by adding the color in after the marshmallows have melted, rather than trying to knead it all in later.

Anyway, hope that helps!

weelala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weelala Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 43

Thanks guys =) But have you bought from these online stores too? and I need a place that preferably accepts Paypal.

Yeah...I didnt have a great experience with Wilton either. I didn't like the texture and everything that much.

Hmm...marshmallow fondant sounds tasty.

cakergreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakergreg Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 43

I have found Choco-pan to be the best. You can order it at www.choco-pan.com

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 43

I used the MMF for the first time and I really liked the texture and the taste
it was easy to work with and I play on using it for an up coming wedding! the bride was happy when she tasted it

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 43

I love the Marshmallow fondant. It costs pennies, compared to buying it, and it really is easy to make. It tastes good, and you can flavour it any way you like. Last time I used some lemon juice and lemon oil to give it a light citrus-y flavour, and it was great. It's so nice to use a fondant that you can actually eat! It has a light texture and it is lovely to work with. You can roll it very thin, and it covers beautifully.

If you are looking to purchase fondant, Golda's Kitchen carries a line of ready-made fondants from McCalls, available in white, chocolate, or white chocolate flavours. It is a Canadian company out of Mississauga, and the web address is:
www.goldaskitchen.com
I have ordered from there many times and I have never been disappointed. I haven't tried the fondants, but they sound great, and frankly, anything must be better than Wilton!
icon_smile.gif

ps - are you as frustrated as I am trying to find stuff here in Canada? Luckily there are a few good companies that will ship here, and the prices are comparable.

HollyPJ Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitneee

Thanks guys =) But have you bought from these online stores too? and I need a place that preferably accepts Paypal.

Yeah...I didnt have a great experience with Wilton either. I didn't like the texture and everything that much.

Hmm...marshmallow fondant sounds tasty.

caljavaonline.com does accept paypal. They are pretty quick about shipping, too.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:39am
post #10 of 43

Can someone please give me the recipe for the marshmallow fondant.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellypf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellypf Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:50am
post #12 of 43

Melody25...

Check out thr recipe tab and you should find the Marshmallow Fondant recipe!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:55am
post #13 of 43

Holly... or other FondX users... I have only had Wilton (GAGGGGG) and homemade MMF. How does FondX compare in taste. Is it easy to roll out, etc.? What flavors do you like? Also...how far will 2 lbs of fondant go. Will it be enough to cover one 12 x 2 and one 10 x2 round?

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:08am
post #14 of 43

Yeah I also would like to know of all the fondants you've tried which one works the best, as far as covering a cake without it looking like "elephant skin".

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:10am
post #15 of 43

I have tried McCalls fondant and it is leaps and bounds better than any other fondant I have tried...it tastes GOOD!!! They are in TO.

I have tried Wilton and couldn't believe how terrible it tasted but it handles well...
I then tried Dawn fondant at the recommendation of a place that makes very pretty cakes but it also tasted just bad!

Then this past week I was in Toronto at Bonnie Gordon's cake school for some courses and tasted it then..it was so good and tasted mild and fine with zero chemical or supersweet aftertaste.

SherryGrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherryGrrl Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:32am
post #16 of 43

I have NO IDEA what the brand name is, but there is a cake-decorator in my hometown who studied with "masters," and she gets her fondant from Switzerland. I'm going to her shop for a tasting next Friday...I'll see how yummy it is and ask questions!

HollyPJ Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:52pm
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryGrrl

I have NO IDEA what the brand name is, but there is a cake-decorator in my hometown who studied with "masters," and she gets her fondant from Switzerland. I'm going to her shop for a tasting next Friday...I'll see how yummy it is and ask questions!

Is it Massa Grischuna? I think that's what Colette Peters uses. Here's a link:

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/store/merchant.mvc?page=ASC/PROD/1j_ENROBING/505023

I haven't tried it.

HollyPJ Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:04pm
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

Holly... or other FondX users... I have only had Wilton (GAGGGGG) and homemade MMF. How does FondX compare in taste. Is it easy to roll out, etc.? What flavors do you like? Also...how far will 2 lbs of fondant go. Will it be enough to cover one 12 x 2 and one 10 x2 round?

FondX tastes worlds better than Wilton fondant (then again, so does Playdough. icon_smile.gif ) It smells a little bit chemical, but there's no chemical taste. It's just sweet, with a slight citrus undertone.
It's easy to color and rolls out well. My only complaint is that it's fairly soft, but I've heard the same thing about Satin Ice. You just have to use care when lifting it.
The green, black and white tiered cake (Cake for Doba) in my photos is covered in FondX. The pale blue package cake is FondX as well.

I tried Pettinice/Bakels once. I hated it! It tasted better than Wilton, but not great and it kept tearing. I stayed up the whole night covering a wedding cake in that fondant, crying off and on because I was so frustrated!

I want to try Satin Ice and Choco Pan and possibly the Massa Grischuna.

I like MMF well enough, but I've had inconsitent results with it. (Sometimes it rolls out smoother than others and it's sometimes too soft).

My all-time favorite fondant to work with is homemade made with Colette Peter's recipe. It doesn't tear and has such a beautiful, porcelain finish. However, it is very time-consuming to make (and strenuous to knead), so I haven't made it in about 4 years.

HollyPJ Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:07pm
post #19 of 43

Another good thing about FondX: you can refrigerate a cake covered in it with no problems.
I think Satin Ice can be refrigerated as well.

HollyPJ Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:28pm
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakergreg

I have found Choco-pan to be the best. You can order it at www.choco-pan.com

Thanks for the link! I just ordered their sample pack so I can taste it. It's $1.00 (plus $5.00 shipping icon_smile.gif ) for 3 oz of each of their 5 flavors.

Their fondant is more expensive than FondX, but they claim you can roll it thinner than other fondants.

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:40pm
post #21 of 43

I ordered a sample pack last week as well! I've always wanted to try Choco-pan but it's too expensive to buy a bucket "just to try it." So I'm really excited. And I've heard the same thing - you can roll it thinner, so you end up using less of it, so it doesn't work out to really be that much more expensive. Plus, from what I hear, the taste is so good that it's worth every penny. We shall see! Thanks for the website link!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:47pm
post #22 of 43

Wow! I am sooo glad that whoever started this, did! I am new to fondant and I don't like the taste of Wilton's at all! I am happy to see that there are other websites you could buy from. I didn't even know that there could be different flavors! Thanks to you all for the GREAT info!
Now, which is best when using this stuff for characters?

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:00pm
post #23 of 43

I use Satin Ice exclusively - I love the taste and it, too, can be rolled thin! The only use I have for Wilton fondant is if I decide to cover a cake board!!!

~Chelle

Jopalis Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:12pm
post #24 of 43

I had bought a big box of Wiltons at Walmart when I was in Wilton class. Now I am going to use it up by mixing with gumpaste and make stuff that won't be eaten.

Is Collette Peters fondant recipe anywhere on CC? I don't have her book. May have to go library.

Jopalis Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:22pm
post #25 of 43

I found this link to a discussion with Colette Peters about fondant, buttercream, etc. It is pretty interesting. I don't have her book (yet icon_wink.gif ) so I was happy to find it. She discusses putting the fondant on a cold cake, she doesn't use simple syrup, etc. To each his own... I know but it's interesting. Anyway if anyone wants to take a look see.... here is the url:

http://www.pastryscoop.com/conferencesAndEvents_chat22.html

HollyPJ Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:23pm
post #26 of 43

Marshmallow fondant tastes better and is easier to make than this, but you can't beat this recipe for making a pretty-looking cake.

Here it is:

Rolled Fondant
(from Colette's Cakes, by Colette Peters)

2 pounds confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup cold water
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup glucose (found in cake-decorating stores) or white corn syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons glycerine (found in cake-decorating stores)
1 teaspoon flavoring

In a large bowl, sift the sugar and make a well in the center. Pour the water into a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin on top to soften for about 5 minutes. Heat the gelatin and stir until dissolved and clear. Do not boil! Turn off the heat and add the glucose or syrup and glycerine, stirring until well-blended. Add flavoring. Pour into the well of sugar and mix until all of the sugar is blended. Knead the icing with your hands until it becomes stiff. If the mixture is sticky, add small amounts of confectioners' sugar.
Shape the mixture into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and place it in an airtight container. This icing works best if allowed to rest at room temperature for about 8 hours, particularly if the weather is humid. Fondant may be refrigerated or frozen for longer storage, but you must bring it to room temperature to soften before rolling. Do not refrigerate a cake covered with fondant, however, because the fondant will become gummy when brought back to room temperature.
To color fondant, add small amounts of paste food coloring and knead it until the color is even.

My notes: I would add more flavoring than called for. Orange extract is good and helps counteract the sweetness a little.
If the fondant becomes too stiff to knead, you can microwave it a little to soften it.

HollyPJ Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:33pm
post #27 of 43
Quote:

I found this link to a discussion with about fondant, buttercream, etc. It is pretty interesting. I don't have her book (yet icon_wink.gif ) so I was happy to find it. She discusses putting the fondant on a cold cake, she doesn't use simple syrup, etc. To each his own... I know but it's interesting. Anyway if anyone wants to take a look see.... here is the url:

http://www.pastryscoop.com/conferencesAndEvents_chat22.html

Thanks for the link! That was very interesting and informative. I love Colette's decorating style. I think she has a great deal to do with elevating the art of cake decorating and getting it out of a stuffy rut. icon_smile.gif Not that beautiful cakes haven't been created for years, but creativity is blossoming now, I think.

Jopalis Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:41pm
post #28 of 43

Thanks for the recipe.... I didn't really like the MMF. Found it too sweet and chewy. I was hoping this was better....

HollyPJ Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:52pm
post #29 of 43
Quote:

Thanks for the recipe.... I didn't really like the MMF. Found it too sweet and chewy. I was hoping this was better....

It's still sweet and chewy, but the MMF seems to be extra sickly-sweet. This isn't quite as sweet.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:02pm
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

Is it Massa Grischuna? Here's a link:

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/store/merchant.mvc?page=ASC/PROD/1j_ENROBING/505023

I haven't tried it.

That's the fondant I exclusively used at my my last job. It was great to work with, and the taste was good. I used to add in a little vanilla extract and it tasted better. Wasn't too sweet, and my clients seemed to like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%