Are People Really This Stupid?

Decorating By Candy120 Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 6:20pm by Hawkette

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:14am
post #1 of 539

I had a lady call me and ask me what time she needed to pick up her cake. I told her about 10 a.m. She said "are you going to bake it Friday night or Saturday morning?" I said, "well, since you are going to pick it up at 10 a.m. Sat. that means that I will do it on Friday." She asked if there was any way that I could bake and decorate it on Saturday morning and still come after it at 10. I told her that I don't get up that early. She said, "well, good grief, how long does it take to decorate a cake anyway?" Are people really this stupid or was she just a "special" person????

And then I had a lady call and say "How many pieces does your 24 piece cake serve?" Slowly I said, "twenty-four"...and then she asked how many pieces the 36 piece cake serves, again I slowly said, "thirty-six" and she then she said "how many does your 54 piece serve?" I said, "are you serious??" she said, "yes, I am trying to figure out how big of a cake I need and I am writing this down"...ok!! Then she said, "well, what if I don't want any left over?" I said, "cut the pieces bigger"...she said, "can I do that?"

Have you ever had someone call and say, "I want a cake just like the one you did for my son three years ago." I said, "well, you are going to have to help me out a little bit with this one, cuz I don't remember what I did." She said, "well, I don't remember either, I thought maybe you would"...WHY DO YOU WANT SOMETHING THAT YOU DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS????

The more I deal with people the better I like my dogs!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

538 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:16am
post #2 of 539

Yes, they are just THAT special...lol

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:21am
post #3 of 539

icon_lol.gif We humans are a special breed. . . icon_wink.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:24am
post #4 of 539

deal w/ them every day in my "real" job ---

they're called students

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:29am
post #5 of 539

I'd wonder if that second lady was prank (or crank, whatever you want to call it) calling! That is just unreal! HAHAHAHA, I'm surprised you held it together and didn't laugh at her.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:29am
post #6 of 539

Thank you candy120, I needed that laugh. I laughed so hard my husband and son came into the room to se if I was ok. I can't believe people sometimes. icon_biggrin.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:32am
post #7 of 539

I deal with that kind of person every day....It's called "husband"
"Honey, I need my uniform done. I have no socks. You didn't take any meat out for dinner. blah blah blah." Now you know ladies all know he knows where and how to do his laudry and to take meat out of the freezer. Yet the dumbas@ will waste my time to ask me a stupid question.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:33am
post #8 of 539

I really believe that people take what they seen on TV seriously especially cartoons.... My DD was watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse & they were making a b-day cake they made the batter in 1 min put it in the oven & put the timer on for 15 mins, when the timer went off, they checked the oven & took out the cake already decorated with 2 different colors & swag decorations....

I would love to have an oven like that, that will bake & decorate my cake in 15 mins, not to mention that the frosting was made & the cake was decorated in the oven without melting icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:33am
post #9 of 539

We call that "a special kind of stupid". icon_lol.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:35am
post #10 of 539

Oh and Doug.. When I taught school, we just referred to them as the inmates. icon_smile.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:38am
post #11 of 539

...lol...ya'll are killin' me!!!!!!
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:39am
post #12 of 539

Oh yeh...people ARE that dumb sometimes. My duh-huh moment from a potential bridal customer today... "I need a 6-tier cake to serve 75 people. Can you do that for $150?" I explained HOW MANY a 6-tier cake would serve and the potential cost...thought I might have to break out into CPR mode on her. LOL. It was all that I could do not to spit my teeth out! LOL.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:39am
post #13 of 539

Yes, people are that lost when it comes to cakes, aren't they!

icon_lol.gif

Sarah

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:43am
post #14 of 539

That is absolutely hilarious! I'm sure we could start Quite a thread with this one!
I had a lady ask me if I could pre-cut the cake and then cover it with icing so it wouldn't look like it was cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When I asked her why she said she didn't know if she would know HOW to cut a cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:45am
post #15 of 539

Oh my gosh I LUV this! Hubby told me a story. A person needed the phone number for another office. Hubby gave him the number .... "123-456-7890". Person kept calling hubby back telling him the number didn't work. Hubby called the number on another line....it worked. FINALLY he said, "Sir, are you sure you are dialing one-123-456-7890?" Person said, "One! You didn't tell me I had to dial ONE first!" WHO doesn't know this!?

I posted this story on another thread, but a co-worker actually thought I baked wedding cakes the day of the wedding! When I explained the most recent cake had involved 8 hours of baking, so how did she expect all of that to get done the morning of? Of course it was because she had no idea how this 4 foot tall concoction of sugary decoration was created!

One bride asked me if I prepared the food ahead of time. icon_confused.gif (no, lady, I just hand everyone raw chicken and a Bic lighter!) I said, "Does the reception site have a kitchen that we can use to cook the food?" She said, "No." I said, "Then obviously yes, we have to cook it ahead of time." dunce.gif

Another bride was venting about another reception she had attended and was upset because the caterer ".....just either opened a can of corn, or a frozen bag of corn, and heated it up!" I asked her, "Well, what exactly are you expecting? Because none of us grow our own, ya know!" dunce.gif

My very first bride wanted her 3-tiered wedding cake "pre-cut". Even way back then, when I knew nothing, I knew THAT wasn't going to work!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:49am
post #16 of 539

People really can be dumb. Today we went out for lunch for sisters b-day and i brought the cake I made for her, had it sitting in the center of the table. After we finish eating the waiter goes " I will bring the desert tray out and see if you like anything" I said well with this big cake, I really don't think we will be needing that and he was like duh, and still brought it out.

BTW Doug love your avatar.Calvin & Hobbs my fav. icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:51am
post #17 of 539

Ah yes, there are many of these "special" types around. Unfortunately many of them like cake! LOL

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:54am
post #18 of 539

I'm laughing so hard that I'm spitting on my computer screen...LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:57am
post #19 of 539

Hee, Hee, Hee

I just had to jump on this bandwagon. How about when I was working at the prison and I was supervising a GED class. The assignment the inmates had was to write an essay on why it was important to get their GED. After about ten minutes, an inmate raised his hand and asked as earnestly as he knew how, "Mrs. Sellers, how do you spell GED"?

Another one, I was supervising in the kitchen at the prison, and the inmates asked me what kind of meat was in the soup. I told them it was beef. One said, "we know it's beef stew, but what kind of beef?" I said, "it's BEEF." He said, "I know Mrs. Sellers, but what kind of beef? You know, its it whale, or horse, or cow, or what?"

Yes, there really are dense people in this world. I worked in the prison system for 10 years. If you want to hear more, just PM me, lol.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:02am
post #20 of 539

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now my tummy hurts for too much laughing!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys for the laughs

people sometimes are just dumb!!!!!!

nglez09 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:04am
post #21 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

they're called students

icon_mad.gif We're not all idiots. icon_razz.gif Really though, I feel sorry for you guys; you have no idea who's going to be running this country when you're trying to live off of your pensions. thumbsdown.gif Well, maybe you do- morons.

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:04am
post #22 of 539

cassandracakes, I can't wait for your best selling book on this topic to come out! I'll order my autographed copy now! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

When I was a kid, I remember the adults talking about this story: There was a big question concerning farming subsidies all over the news, and there was something about farmers wanting to strike or reduce their output or something (remember .... I was a kid). One of the news stations was doing a man-on-the-street interview and they asked a man (from a large.... LARGE ...... major city) what he thought and he said, "We don't need farmers anyway!" The reporter asked him, "Where would you get your milk from?" and the man looked at the reporter very astonished and said ......

and I'm not kidding........

"Why from the store of course!!"

cassandrascakes Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:08am
post #23 of 539

Oh my..........and where in the hell does he think the stores get it from???? He must be an ex-con, ROFLMAO!!!!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:16am
post #24 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

they're called students

icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Sad to day, in my experience, many of the teachers aren't much better!

(...and that includes both K-12 and university/graduate school level.)

RedPanda

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:16am
post #25 of 539

ROTFLMAO at all these stories--especially the ones about precutting the cakes. icon_eek.gif I can't believe anyone could be that stupid. Never mind. Yes, I could believe it. icon_lol.gif

I watched "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" this week and could not believe some of the questions that were missed. icon_surprised.gif The one about how many teaspoons you would have if you had five tablespoons seemed like a no brainer to me. Wrong. I have asked everyone I have come in contact with since Thursday night. My mom's best friend who is 89 was the only one who gave me the correct answer. icon_eek.gif I could not believe that grown women who cook supper every night would not know the answer to that, including my 31 year old daughter who bakes and decorates cakes!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

cassandrascakes Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:25am
post #26 of 539

I just thought of another one....

An inmate was talking about how his daughter was in the eleventh grade. I said "so, she's a junior?" He said, "how can she be a junior if she's a girl? She's not named after me!"

Another one..........

My aunt called the whole family a couple of months ago and told us she had just gotten some gas for 97 cents a gallon. Nobody could believe it, so I called her back and asked if she was SURE it was only 97 cents. She said "Girl, I swear. The little yellow sticker on the tank said '97'". I died laughing before I explained that the yellow sticker was the grade of gas and not the price.

I could go on and on...

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:29am
post #27 of 539

These are all great!

I do have to admit that I wish the Bic lighter and the raw chicken comment could have been spoken and not just a thought!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:30am
post #28 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandrascakes

My aunt called the whole family a couple of months ago and told us she had just gotten some gas for 97 cents a gallon. Nobody could believe it, so I called her back and asked if she was SURE it was only 97 cents. She said "Girl, I swear. The little yellow sticker on the tank said '97'". I died laughing before I explained that the yellow sticker was the grade of gas and not the price.

OMG, this is too sweet!! icon_lol.gif Sounds just like something my aunt would say... are we related icon_confused.gif

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:30am
post #29 of 539

Hate to tell one on my own daughter, but she made the playing card cookies in my photos (I do all the cakes, she does most of the cookies). She said the hardest one was making the spade. I asked if she had any problems with the other emblems....the hearts, diamonds, clubs? She said, "Nope! Just that stupid spade!" I said, "You DO realize that a spade is just an upside down heart with a line at the bottom, right?" THere was a big silence and she says, "Oh NOW you tell me!"

nglez09 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:31am
post #30 of 539

Yep.

I feel like shooting myself when I watch the Tonight Show and on Jay Walking they ask SIMPLE questions regarding history, science or mathematics and the people get them wrong. . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%