Fondant Numbers And Confetti

Decorating By jdelectables Updated 17 Jan 2006 , 3:07pm by SquirrellyCakes

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:31am
post #1 of 6

Hi, all ~

I'm making a cake for Saturday and it will be 2-tiered, covered in fondant with "30" sticking up on the top tier and confetti (squiggly ribbons), both made of fondant. How do I attach the numbers to sticks (or wires?). Do I let the numbers dry first and then put the sticks on with some more fondant? Also, how do I attach the ribbons? Do I let them dry a few days also?
Thanks for your help! You all are the best!!!
Julie

5 replies
tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:37am
post #2 of 6

when you're making the number "30", I would take some toothpicks and insert into the bottom of the numbers...same with the ribbons. I would make it at least a day in advance and let it dry out completely. Once it hardens then you can paint with lustre dust or other colors also and then push it into the cake like a caketopper.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:55am
post #3 of 6

I agree, depending on how thick they are, toothpicks or those wooden shiskabob skewers would be the easiest way. Otherwise, you can us melted candy melts or royal icing on the back with the sticks. Another option is making the numbers out of candy melts and using toothpicks, skewers or cookie sticks, placing the stick at the back and adding more melted candy melts to attach.
I usually add some Gum-tex powder to fondant to get it to set up. For me, I make things at least a few days ahead or they don't harden up enough to set up and keep their shape. Your humidity level will have a lot of bearing.
Hugs Squirrelly

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:59am
post #4 of 6

I push lollipop sticks in them as soon as I make them and they let dry and paint.

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, everyone. What about the confetti?

Julie

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelectables

Thanks, everyone. What about the confetti?

Julie

Not quite sure what you mean, you can dampen shiskabob skewers with a slight amount of royal glue, meringue power mixed with an equal amount of water, usually 1 tsp. to 1 tsp. and sparingly brush on where the curly ribbon fondant will go if you are putting it on the sticks. You would sort of mold part of the fondant ribbon onto the stick and let the curly ends hang. Or lay it on the top of the fondant again brush with a bit of the royal glue where the ribbon will lie. I am not a big fan of just using water when something isn't just going to be flat on top of the fondant.
In fact I would brush some royal glue on the stick where the number would be going to, it just makes things adhere better.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%