Name Game

Business By BellaRosa Updated 30 Jan 2006 , 3:29am by surfergina

BellaRosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRosa Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 21

I have been using Sweet Inspirations as my "unofficial" business name for the past year or so. I am in the process of working on my permits/license etc....Come to find out there is someone in my state that has the 10 year "ownership" on that name even though the business went under in less than a year. SO I have to come up with a new name.

I am trying to think of a cake related name that lends to the fact that we are military. DH is a Marine so have been trying to think of something along those lines. He keeps giving me ideas...but not many people would really get the name or consider them a cake business. lol

Any help would be appreciated.

BellaRosa

20 replies
tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 21

I really, really like your name, Bella Rosa. You could do Bella Rosa Bakery, Bella Rosa Cakes, Bella Rosa Cakery, Bella Rosa Sweets....I know you said something with a military theme though.......

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 2:50am
post #3 of 21

I can't think of any cake-y names with a military feel, but what were your husbands suggestions? Maybe we can work with those.....

BellaRosa Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 3:30am
post #4 of 21

He started rattling off names like K-Bar Kakes, Mess Hall Desserts & Pogey Bait Cakes....yeah not real catchy. He has made me a beautiful logo incorporating the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor ( Marine Corps Symbol). But that is as far as I have gotten really. Here is what I came up with for trial and error...

Devildog Delights
Semper Fi Cake Creations

I would use BellaRosa (that is my pet name for my daughter), but we have several salons & other businesses that use BellaRosa. icon_sad.gif

THX ladies & gents

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 3:36am
post #5 of 21

Fidelis Le Pasterie

or

La Pasterie Fidelis

(and someone out there who knows French would it be LE or LA?)

beany Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 3:49am
post #6 of 21

I like devildog delights. Sorry- I still can't think of anything military.

beany Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 3:54am
post #7 of 21

Cake Corp

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:01am
post #8 of 21

What about "Anchors Away Sweet Confections"?

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

Smoochiefrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smoochiefrog Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:27am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

What about "Anchors Away Sweet Confections"?

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

That's not bad except for Anchors Away is the Navy song. icon_wink.gif

I liked the Semper Fi names you came up with. Maybe the Ooh Rah bakery. icon_wink.gif

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:28am
post #10 of 21

The only thing I could think of is Jarhead Confections or Jarhead Delights. I personally like Doug's suggestions. Best of luck keep up posted!

BellaRosa Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 5:26am
post #11 of 21

Anchors Away would be great if DH was Navy, but I think he would hang me since he is Marine. rofl

mamastacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamastacy Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 5:32am
post #12 of 21

how about Gunny Cakes because i dont know what rank your husband is or was but they call there E-7's gunny.
stacy,

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 6:03am
post #13 of 21

OK So I know nothing when it comes to military stuff! LOL

What about this "Seniram Confections" Seniram is Marines spelled backwards icon_smile.gif

Or "Seniram Cakes: Simpli-fied"

Just a few more thoughts...

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 6:25am
post #14 of 21

Out of all the suggestions already given (sorry - I can't come up with any more icon_redface.gif ) these are the ones that have the best ring to them, IMHO...

La Pateserie Fidelis

Jarhead Delights

DevilDog Delights (or DevilDog De-lites)

Do you want it to sound serious? (go w/Doug's suggestions)
Or have a sense of humor & sound fun? (then one of the other two)

Any of those would be memorable and give you the military association you're looking for. And all 3 lend themselves to great logos....the more formal one - you could use the graphic your DH has made for you and maybe place it and the name on a cake? Jarhead Delights - A pic of a 'jarhead' devouring a piece of cake, or holding a cake with a big 'ole grin on his face. Devil Dog Delights....well, I don't know what a 'devil dog' is...lol. Sorry 'bout that one... icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 6:09pm
post #15 of 21

I like "Devil Dog Delights". How do you operate on the base? I know that NC is one of least restrictive states for home-based businesses especially baked goods. I think its great! I thank your DH for his service as I have a son (ex-Marine) also in service.
Leslie

BellaRosa Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 6:29pm
post #16 of 21

So far I have only been working on word of mouth. Many people on base & those over base housing know I do cakes. I dropped one off & spoke to the director as soon as I started getting good & getting more peoplecalling.

To operate on base & be approved to have a home business, I had to go through housing and detail what my business was, if it would interfere with an business already operational on base, cost of utilities, amount of traffic, etc.

As soon as I ove into my new quarters (they are finally building us new units yeah!), I have to go back up to housing to get my request letter sent through the CG & then I can call for my inspections etc. I am going ahead with my permits and name license since I can use my home address and don't need a physical business address until after my inspection.

I have initial approval from base housing so we will see what the CG says.

thx
BellaRosa

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 21

That's great! It sounds like it's more forgiving than in civilian life! Good luck!
Leslie

BellaRosa Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 3:07am
post #18 of 21

I want to sincerely thank EVERYONE for all your help and suggestions for names. I was sitting her on CC just goofing around when I had an idea...doesnt happen often lol! After playing with all kinds of names for a few weeks, I have found the one. I did a search for local, county, and state names and no one in the state has it so I am thrilled. My new business name will be Cadence Cakes. DH drew my up a gorgeous logo & now I am off to the city bldg tomorrow to register my info. Now to get moved (by the end of the month) & set up my inspections.

Thanks Again!
Bella Rosa

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 3:21am
post #19 of 21

How did you do a search to see if anyone had that name already? Do you do it over the internet? If so where did you go and did it cost you to check? I would like to do some searching to see if the name I want to use is already taken. Also there seems to be a lot of people on CC from NC. I am from NC also about 30 Min. east of Charlotte, so HELLO to all my NC neighbors!!!!

~Sonya icon_smile.gif

BellaRosa Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 3:26am
post #20 of 21

Hi Sonya! There is links through the Dept of Ag website that will take you to county libraries and city records. I have a friend that works in my county clerks office so I just gave her a call & said....blah blah & she looked for me real quick. I will get my links (my histary doesnt save on this computer) & forward them to you.

BellaRosa

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 3:29am
post #21 of 21

Hi Sonya - Yes, it's true that there are plenty of CC Carolinas. My guess is it's because NC is one of the easy state to allow a cake business at home. I lives in Florida, and boy, let me tell you - we're not allowed to do that here. VERY STRICT. That's one of the reasons why I'm leaving Florida. Hurricane and poor education are on our top list. We're looking forward to live in NC real soon! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%