Looking For New Ideas

Business By cakesbyyou Updated 30 Jan 2006 , 4:27am by cakesbyyou

cakesbyyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyyou Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 2:53am
post #1 of 13

Every month I do a full sheet cake to celebrate that months birtdays at my office for about 75 people. I try to keep it non gender specific. I am looking for some new ideas on decorating a sheet cake. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

12 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:05am
post #2 of 13

here's a bit a out there idea.

elem. teachers are famous for their bulletin board of the month to fit a theme based on season or holiday, etc.

another one they do, is the monthly calendar.

so could do themes or could do a calendar, w/ each b-day listed on correct date.

here's a link to one of the biggest publishers of the materials that the elem. teachers use.

http://www.trendenterprises.com/home.cfm

and here's another great source

http://www.carsondellosa.com/Cultures/en-US/cd_home.htm

lots of ideas for use on many kinds of cakes.

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:15am
post #3 of 13

You could decorate each month's cake with that month's flower or birthstone color. Hallmark calendars (purse size booklets) have them listed & they're free at the checkout (even if you don't buy anything icon_razz.gif ).

You've probably already done this, but, how about seasonal activities--
Winter--snow, ice skating, skiing, etc.

cakesbyyou Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:51am
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the ideas, especially about the calendar or that months birthstone or flower. I did think about doing something seasonal, but I feel that those birthdays are focused on the season and not the birthday. So I try to stay away from the season and celebrate the birthday with clowns, presents, "Happy Birthday" in cookies etc. I usually do something in bright colors and try to stay away from flowery, feminine cakes.

I'm new to this website and I am enjoying it. Thanks for the support!

bakersofcakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:41am
post #5 of 13

Hey, this would probably only work for one month's cake, but I'll throw it out there & I'm sure others here will have many more (& probably better) ideas.

You could do an "office memo" cake. It could say there are birthdays this month or the date they're to be celebrated or something & list the birthday dates or names of whoever has a birthday for the month (if you list the names icon_wink.gif ).

HTH
icon_smile.gif

cakesbyyou Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 1:32am
post #6 of 13

Bakersofcakes - thanks for the idea, an office memo cake. Like it, like it! thumbs_up.gif

bakersofcakes Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 3:59am
post #7 of 13

Hey! If your office has a logo or letterhead, you might could copy it--freehand, FBCT, etc.--& put it on a "memo" cake or another cake altogether.

Just an idea that came to me. icon_smile.gif

cakesbyyou Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 4:47am
post #8 of 13

BakersofCakes - Like the idea of the company logo, think that this will be my next cake - office memo with logo. THANKS!!!

bakersofcakes Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 1:49am
post #9 of 13

More ideas?...

computer
keyboard & monitor with message on "screen"
typewriter with message on "typing paper" that's sticking out of top

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 2:00am
post #10 of 13

you could do a sheet cake with a bunch of heads (cartoonish) wearing birthday hats and the noisy blow-thingys and have their names under each head... kinda like this emoticon - party.gif .....maybe do the hair color the same of the person's b-day (if your office is small enough).

don't know how much time you want to spend on it...you could try to model cartoon figures from fondant/mmf and have them stand around a mini-cake!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 13

I love the calendar idea. You could put each person's name on the date of their birthday and then put a symbol of what they are know for such as gardner - rose, golfter - golf club, fisherman - fish, etc. That way you could stick with the same idea every month but people will be excited to see what each symbol will be. They could be three dimensional also. I am going to use this idea in the future.

bakersofcakes Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 13

I guess it all depends on how serious you want to be or how much fun you want to have with the cakes, but here are some more "ideas"... icon_wink.gif

For March birthdays, you could decorate with kites (in the sky) & put the names on them. It might be a stretch but March is known for its "March winds"

OR the saying "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." Decorate with lion(s) & lamb(s)???

Since Easter is in April you could do a cake or maybe a "basket" with eggs in it & put the names on the eggs.

OR the saying "April showers bring May flowers." Umbrellas??? I'm thinking ducks in the rain, but that's probably better for baby showers. icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

You could make a Hamburger & fries cake, a Watermelon cake, a beach scene (with lawn chairs on the beach or by the pool, etc. for the summer months.

Phone & notepad cake (OR on a cake--with the names/message on the notepad)

How about a cake shaped like a desk or whatever you have in your offices. You could get as detailed as you want if you know how to do fondant/MMF (which I personally have never done, yet. icon_wink.gif )

Hey, cakesbyyou, what type of business do you work for? (Of course I understand if you don't want to say, I was just thinking that might spring more ideas. icon_smile.gif )

cakesbyyou Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 4:27am
post #13 of 13

WOW, Bakersofcakes, I love your ideas. I work for 8 cardiologist (I'm in medical billing with about 10 others). There are about 60 nurses and medical assistants. My goal in less than 2 years is to open a cake supply and instruction shop - we don't have anything like this in my area.

I do so appreciate all of your ideas, and can't wait to bring them to life.

THANKS AGAIN icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%