Decorating By Jenn123 Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm by stampinron

Mala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mala Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:49pm
post #61 of 98

I would love to tutorials about:

1. Fondant and Gumpast stuff

2. cake carving

3. cake painting

hehehhe!!! I would love to share too in any ways I can...

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:56pm
post #62 of 98

gumpaste flowers

fondant covering square or other odd shaped cakes

airbrushing

chocolate transfers....can't do that to save my life. am giving up. Haven't tried the above yet.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:08pm
post #63 of 98

Making fondant flower sprays (wired)
More gumpaste bow techniques
Tips for using fresh flowers
Tips for dealing with fresh strawberries (avoiding mold)

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 10:11pm
post #64 of 98

1) Buttercream flowers that can be piped directly onto cake
2) Fondant draping
3) Candy clay uses
4) Royal Icing lacework

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:32pm
post #65 of 98

I don't know if it's been said yet or not but:

1) How to carve cakes - STEP BY STEP w/ DETAILS including what kinds of knives to use, etc.
2) Covering strange shapes w/ fondant - like carved cakes
3) How to get your fondant to work right! Fondant consistencies and how to tell if your fondant is the right consistency - some kind of test
4) Consistencies for frostings like French Buttercream or IMBC - HOW can I make it stiffer?? I'm guessing I can thin either w/ water or milk, but what if I want to make it stiffer??
5) How to make stand-up gumpaste or fondant figures
6) How to make sure your layers are even for stacking - do you use a level? How can you tell before you start stacking if your layers will be crooked? Besides looking at them - b/c they can look fine and then you put that second one on top and presto - crooked!
7) How to cut dowel rods
icon_cool.gif Oh wait I second the cake painting & airbrushing! (including what equipment to buy and maybe where you can get it in the U.S. & elsewhere)

Thanks! icon_smile.gif If anyone has answers to these kinds of things and wants to PM me - please feel free to do so!

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:14pm
post #66 of 98

I'de like to see

1. carving of more elaborate cakes

2. sugar pulling (i've done before but it is very hard to do)

3. Beautiful Monogram plaques

4, More gumpaste flowers. I'e seen enough roses and calla lillies. I want to learn orchids and the other host of cutters out there that I'm to afraid to purchase without some idea of how to uese them.

Also, tutorial are easier when the have pic or video that can be paused so that you can do each set along with the instructor.

cakecookingnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookingnut Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #67 of 98

I'd like to see pulled and blown sugar.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:52pm
post #68 of 98

I'd like to second the suggestions for stacked pillow cakes -- I'm particularly interested in how to put in supports for a cake like that in addition to the carving.

I also second fondant figures--preferably human

And I'd also like to see how to stack tall cakes like they do on the cake challenges in Food network--where they have one tall dowel gonig up from the cake board, and they slide the layers down the pole--and usually some of the tiers are at a crooked angle--am I asking too much? icon_redface.gif

lenabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenabean Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm
post #69 of 98

sculptured cakes,,
how to do people (down to the detail),
using different tips

cakerygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerygirl Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #70 of 98

I would love to learn

1) more buttercream flowers that can be piped directly onto a cake

2)Painting on Fondant

3) More airbrushing techniques

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:15pm
post #71 of 98

I would like to see everything that everyone said.....

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:39pm
post #72 of 98

cakerygirl -I can help with bc flowers:

Roses:

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:12am
post #73 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKay

This is a great thread!! I'd like to see:

4) Those present cakes with the lid propped up and fondant tissue coming out

Sorry I don't the time to do a full blown tutorial at the moment and my camera needs to be charged. I can however tell you how I made my gift box lid.

1. Invert the cake pan you used to bake the cake in and dust it with corn starch.
2. Roll out your gumpaste and cover the bottom of the cake pan.
3. Trim the sides of the gumpaste so they are all even.
4. Roll out your ribbon strips and use a bit of water or royal glue to attach the ribbon strips to build your bow directly on the lid.
5. Let the lid dry as long as possible. Try to make it about a week in advance.
6. Slip the lid off the cake pan and place a cake board underneath for added support and for ease of handling.
7. Use chopsticks or dowels to support the lid on the cake. Use 3 chopsticks. One shorter one in the back and 2 or equal length in the front to give the open look.

Here is the pic of the cake I made using this method. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=43231

CakeDiane Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #74 of 98

Thanks for sharing that cake_princess--that was really helpful! Can't wait to try it now!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #75 of 98

What a cool thread!! I'd give you my wish list but the CC servers aren't big enough to handle it! icon_biggrin.gif

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:01am
post #76 of 98

I want to know how to do it all!!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #77 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystyne_wilson

I want to know how to do it all!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Amen sista!! icon_lol.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:09am
post #78 of 98

roland winbeckler has a wonderful and beautiful book on buttercream flowers....i love it... linda reese has a wonderful cd on beautiful buttercream flowers etc.... she sometimes demos at the ices convention.. she and roland are great buttercream teachers....there is a lady in south carolina.. gail hyatt... she is great too...took her classes ... don,t think she has any books or cds,etc.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:22am
post #79 of 98

This may sound ridiculous, but I would love to see a

"Get your cake stuff organized and still be able to find it!"

tutorial!

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:25am
post #80 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

This may sound ridiculous, but I would love to see a

"Get your cake stuff organized and still be able to find it!"

tutorial!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You should have seen me last night when finishing up that gelatin butterfly cake (in my pix) -- couldn't find my quilter... couldn't find my stitching wheel... couldn't find my parchment bags... where did I put that #2 tip?? Sheesh!! icon_rolleyes.gif Glad to know I'm not the only one! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:35am
post #81 of 98

That is a gorgeous cake! I love the color!

Last night while everyone else was enjoying the cake talk of the Friday Night Cake Club I had all my stuff on the counters and the table. I got all the ingredients organized/labeled/nicely done and turned around and it looked like all my tools had had babies....&*^% EVERYWHERE!!!

It's down there...I don't want to look at it...I'm staying upstairs for just a bit longer.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #82 of 98

I would love a tutorial on making fondant figures. I can't seem to get those right...

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:04am
post #83 of 98

I would love to see a tutorial on making all the different gumpaste flowers (not just roses), painting on fondant (like the one that was a fair entry with peonies?? sorry cant rememer who did it off the top of my head), the organization one sounds awsome to me since i am always looking for stuff, fondant figures, cake sculpting, covering cakes with fondant, etc

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:08am
post #84 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiane

Thanks for sharing that cake_princess--that was really helpful! Can't wait to try it now!!

No problem.

CakeDiane Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm
post #85 of 98

Ooh! I can help with the organization tutorial! kakesbykitty posted a whole tutorial about this with pictures WAY back in October of 2006 --She has lots of suggestions, but my favorite was that she uses a craftsman free-standing tool box--desperate for organization myself, I ran right out and got one and I've been an happy, organized camper ever since! Here's the link:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-49039.html

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:18pm
post #86 of 98

I just finished a "decorating" kitchen downstairs. No stove, just fridge/sink/counters and cupboards. I took all my cake stuff and put it downstairs and there still isn't enough room! And this is an expensive hobby...
the kids will be moving out again soon, and I will take over their rooms again.....

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:15pm
post #87 of 98

oh wow! that woman is amazing! i wish i had the skills and room she has!

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:14pm
post #88 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiane

Ooh! I can help with the organization tutorial! kakesbykitty posted a whole tutorial about this with pictures WAY back in October of 2006 --She has lots of suggestions, but my favorite was that she uses a craftsman free-standing tool box--desperate for organization myself, I ran right out and got one and I've been an happy, organized camper ever since! Here's the link:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-49039.html

I seen that one and it's wonderful! I was hoping not to have to go out and buy anything...but it's looking more and more like I will.

I'm envious of her set up....

koralkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koralkat Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #89 of 98

I love this thread!
I would like one of everything everybody else said and a you tube one on toppsy turvy cakes, what kind of cake to use (I think mine is to soft and moist) how to carve out the cake how to fill it, how to stack it and do it all in buttercream. I know there are a couple ones on here and I have both of them on paper but when I made mine it still didnt work so well so maybe one on you tube or on a dvd will work better so I can see it done will work otherwise I will give them up all together.
As for the organization I went and got the rubbermade towers with the different size drawers when our store had them buy one get one free and they work out great. and we had some dead space in our basement so my hubby made me a closet and hung a chain with some hooks on it to hang my pans that have the hole in them and some shelves for the ones that don't.

Kitty484 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty484 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:27pm
post #90 of 98

Scrollwork and any delicate piping techniques please! My skills go as far as the star tip and shell border icon_redface.gif !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%