Hey everyone!
I've been looking at the turntable and was wondering if its worth
$60.00.Some people have said that its not worth it and others have said
its great.Any other opinions? icon_confused.gif

19 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 20

I want one so bad....my aunt has one, and she loves it says it was worth every dime she paid...I on the other hand cant make myself get one because of the price....my husband and his dad made an octagonal tabletop turntable (lazysusan) so I used that...it helps with the borders, but since it doesnt tip it cant help with the sides....its times like that that I wish I had one...and if came up on one that I could get my hands on now I would get it...but having to wait for it after paying that much kills me! I can't really convince my husband I need it.....

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 20

I have the Wilton Tilting Turntable and I'll tell you it's NOT worth the $60.00. I bought it over a year ago on sale and I have only used it twice. You can't place a really large (diameter) cake on it or one that is too heavy because it will continue tipping right over!! You also have to make sure your cake is REALLY attached to the cakeboard before tilting it because the cake will start to slide the longer you have it tilted! It's okay if you're going to do small cakes but not okay for larger more heavy cakes.

Hope this helps!!!

Amy

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 4:42am
post #4 of 20

I agree 100% with cakemommy!!!!!
They are NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY!!!!!!! thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

My hubby got me one. I used it a lot at first & I was baking cakes smaller then 10". Well the first time I did a 10"/ 2 layer cake the thing kept poping to the furthest level nearly tipping my cake off onto the counter. icon_cry.gif Well I thought it was a defect so I took it back to Michael's & they gave me a new one. icon_rolleyes.gif The next time I decorated a larger cake it happened again!! This time it tossed my cake!!!! icon_sad.gif I caught it w/ out it getting damaged, thank goodness because if that cake would have fallen on the floor Michael's would have had a disgruntal customer at the store w/ the cake & the turntable! I still have it but I don't use it on large cakes.

So to me I give it a big fat 0! I use the $10 ones & they work just fine~

Give it a lot of thought before you buy one. Maybe more opinions will help you make up your mind.

~TC~

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 5:31am
post #5 of 20

I'm also with cakemommy! Save your money for other toys. If you have a coupon, it may be worth it.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 10:20am
post #6 of 20

I guess as long as I have the one turning gadget I am fine.... but I dont get how to do the sides because I can't get my hands to work that way!

PureShugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PureShugga Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 11:39am
post #7 of 20

I have the $10 one and no complaints here although I was wondering the same thing about the tilting one.

Hershey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hershey17 Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks everyone.All of your comments are definitly going to help me make a decision.I definitly can't afford cakes sliding and falling! To much stress! icon_smile.gif
But how can I decorate the sides without it?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 20

I've never had a cake slide and fall on it... I just don't think they are worth $60. And they do not hold the weight of a heavy cake (I couldn't decorate my 14" double layer cake on it). It didn't fall, but it did wobble a lot.

When I need to do sides, I place my turntable on a box or a few books and get it high enough to decorate the sides.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 20

You would think that $60.00 would get you a product that would withstand the weight of a filled and frosted cake of a decient size like 8-10"!! But it just doesn't!!! Raising the height of the turntable is about the best way to decorate the side of the cake without having to worry about a pending disaster!

Amy

Hershey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hershey17 Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 20

You would think that,because when I first saw it I figured it would be perfect for doing sides and stringwork.I'm doing a cake this weekend with I_Love_Cake for her Mom thats going to have alot of basket weave on it.
That's the reason we were looking into it. birthday.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:50am
post #12 of 20

I also put a box under the $10 turntable. I have to sit to do my cakes. I decorate them at the table. The boxes work great! ~TC~

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 1:10am
post #13 of 20

I'm glad I didn't buy that turntable! It was between the tiltiing one and the one with a really heavy base. Just curious, do you ladies get the Michael's ad in your local paper? Usually they have a coupon for 40%/50% on one regular priced item in the store. It's great for those big purchases, I only had to pay $30 for my turntable.

bikegal

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 20

Oh yeah! I used a coupon just today on a $22 book. Woo-hoo!!

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:54am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal

Just curious, do you ladies get the Michael's ad in your local paper? Usually they have a coupon for 40%/50% on one regular priced item in the store. It's great for those big purchases, I only had to pay $30 for my turntable.

bikegal

FYI - if you have an AC Moore, all you have to do is ask for the coupon when checking out and they will just give you a 40-50% discount on one item (depending on what the coupon is that week).....and I have seen the tilting turntable at AC Moore.

I have found that Michaels is the stingiest with their coupons...I really do hate that store (have for several years)...however, I recently was told "the trick" by a store manager. I was checking out and I asked if they had any coupons. The store manager told me that they weren't allowed to give out the coupons. I very politely complained about that policy....see I live between 2 Michaels, and I am far enough (25-30 minutes) from both that my Sunday paper rarely has the Michael's ads. When I told her this, the manager said "Oh - well if that's the case....NEVER ask for the coupon. Ask for the AD. We aren't allowed to just give out coupons, but we can give out ads (which have the coupon in them)".

It's still a pretty STUPID policy (did I mention that I HATE Michael's? They act like they are the only craft supercenter out there. I ONLY go in when I have been to Joann's and AC Moore and they didn't have what I needed!)

Also, keep in mind that they all take each other's coupons....especially if they are close to each other. You can walk in to Michael's with a coupon from Joann's and they will take it...and vice versa.

oh yeah - did I mention that I HATE Michael's? <grin>

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:22am
post #16 of 20

I'm not crazy about Michael's either... but the only other option here (and it's 2 hours away) is Tall Mouse and I hate them more...

I miss Garden Ridge soooooooooo much. Michael's is the closest thing we have to it here in California... and many of you know how far off the mark that is! After 3 years, I still can't believe Los Angeles has nothing better to offer.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:49am
post #17 of 20

I like Michaels okay but my best source of cake stuff is George's Hobby House 30 miles away. I've been browsing thru their boxes of Wilton tips every time I go in there and come home with a few more to play with each time. I was wanting the tilted turntable for a while too, still would if it was sturdier, but figure I can get a lot of stuff for the $ it costs. I just elevate the turntable I have and it works okay for me, even doing the basket weave. If my icing isn't too stiff it's a cinch. I haven't looked at Joann for cake supplies yet. Our Wal Mart sure as heck isn't making any effort to accommodate cake decorators. Their stock gets punier all the time. Have I mentioned that I'm not overly fond of Wal Mart? LOL

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Our Wal Mart sure as heck isn't making any effort to accommodate cake decorators. Their stock gets punier all the time. Have I mentioned that I'm not overly fond of Wal Mart? LOL

Have you talked to the people in fabrics and crafts or even the store manager, sometimes they can make sure that they have stuff in for you. Also one of the Walmarts in our area has a wilton ordering list where you can special order wilton stuff (this is especially for the bridal stuff), see if they have one of those and check out the prices.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:39pm
post #19 of 20

I 'll check into that thanks. But the other stores I go to aren't but 30 miles away so I try and hit them all when I go that way. Wal Mart isn't too concerned with satisfying the customer. My husband knew Sam Walton from flying him around on the corporate plane and he really cared, but since he's gone it's not the same. You take what you can get and heaven forbid you expect them to keep it stocked.

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:10pm
post #20 of 20

I have the turntable..........it's not worth it.......it doesn't turn smooth at all.....I do use it but I'm VERY careful with it............because I don't trust it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%