Rolled Buttercream

Decorating By pinknlee Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 3:30am by maybenot

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 29

Has anyone ever used rolled buttercream?
Is it pretty easy and tips or ideas. I really don't like th taste of fondant. I think a cake should look and taste good, too. icon_smile.gif

28 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 29

I have used it on my cakes and takes really good.....It worked just like fondant but found the oil makes it shine a bit so I dusted with some sugar

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 29

Boy, I'm with you--that fondant (even the MMF, which I have tried) is just icky. Thank goodness nobody has ever requested it from me! I don't think I could bring myself to do it!

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 11:40am
post #4 of 29

I'm glad you asked that, I've been wondering the same thing. Like does it work just the same as the fondant. I don't like to cover the cakes with it either! Does it work as well like to make all the little accents on a cake, I thought I'd like to try that instead of fondant if it holds up the same.

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 29

I've made rolled buttercream, but only once, and I don't think I did it right, I had trouble keeping it from cracking, and adding more liquid just made it...squishyer.

cakesbgood Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 29

That's the same problem I had when I made MMF for the very first time, which wasn't all that long ago lol! Maybe it's me, but I still (even with the MMF and it taste WAY better then the wiltons) don't care for that type of texture on a cake. Neither does the rest of my family. That's another reason I thought maybe I'd try the rolled buttercream for accents

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:23am
post #7 of 29

I haven't tried the buttercream fondant, but I have heard it is easier to smooth the cracks w/o noticing and that it doesn't break as easily which surprises me a little. I would think it would have a better flavor.

cakesbgood Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:36am
post #8 of 29

I'm just going to have to make some now to put my mind at ease and see what's it's all about lol. icon_biggrin.gif

aldenqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldenqueen Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 29

I would love love to try this!! Can someone give me the recipe??

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 29

I love chocolate rolled buttercream. It tastes just like tootsie rolls! I like even the vanilla version much better than fondant/MMF. It's softer than fondant and leaves a shine on it (from the corn syrup in it I think.) I've molded it, but again, it's softer so you'd need to thicken it up for really intricate designs. Winbeckler uses this for all of his molding I think. It's much more forgiving than fondant I think. I haven't tried it on my family that hates fondant (yes, even MMF) so I don't know if they'd approve of it yet or not icon_smile.gif

Kelly

pinknlee Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 29

I tried rolled buttercram this weekend. I tested it out on my husband, three year-old, my Mom, and My Dad. They all really liked it. It was much easier than I thought it would be. As far as I was able to figure out you have to roll it out just like fondant 1/4 inch thick. I mage flowers that were amazing. I tried roses and such. It kind of felt like playdoh until it dried. I liked it and I am a buttercream only type of girl.

BellaRosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRosa Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 3:22am
post #13 of 29

Does RB color as well as regular buttercream? I am making a darth vadar cake, but my fondant gets very icky & breaks easily when I add the necessary amount of black coloring.

BellaRosa

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 3:35am
post #14 of 29

I'm going to try rb this week, I dont have a heavy duty mixer as the recipe suggests so I think I'm just going to do this one by hand.

I wonder why the recipe only received 3 stars?

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 5:02am
post #15 of 29

Flavor it chocolate and add the black to that. It's just like coloring fondant if you color it at the end. Otherwise, you can color the entire batch while it's in the mixer and it's much quicker and less messy icon_smile.gif

Kelly

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 10:12pm
post #16 of 29

Go to...

http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/93157.asp

This is a really good recipe for buttercream fondant. It does say to use a mixer with a dough hook, but I mixed it all by hand and it wasn't that hard, and came out great. I think I did end up using more than the called for amount of confectionary sugar, though, so that it didn't have a shine to it.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:00am
post #17 of 29

Great idea Kelly. I add black to chocoate frosting to save color often. If chocolate is OK for the person I am making it for.

kgunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgunn Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 3:45am
post #18 of 29

this rolled butter cream if you can roll this out just like fondant can you also cover the whole cake with it like you can with fondant, maybe this could solve some smoothing problems ?

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 5:18pm
post #19 of 29

I covered a cake last weekend with RBC. I was suprised how easy it was. I would suggest adding a bit more sugar than the recipe called for to make it a bit more stiff.

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 5:18pm
post #20 of 29

I just tried the rolled buttercream on a doll cake because I love the way it looks to have the folds in the dress. I hate the way most fondants taste and I'm not to crazy about the texture either. I mixed it up and it tasted great but I had a hard time getting it onto the cake without tearing. I posted for suggestions and tried everything but I still didn't have any luck. When I added more sugar to keep it together it just ended up cracking and the more I messed with it the worse it got so I ended up giving up. Maybe I just need practice.

kgunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgunn Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 3:02am
post #21 of 29

when you covered the cake the rolled buttercream did you put down any buttercream frosting first like with fondant?

pinknlee Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 3:29am
post #22 of 29

I tried it without putting buttercream on the cake first, that did not make for a smooth surface. I did put buttercream on and worked very well for a nice smoth surface.

It is also nice for making flowers. I made tropical flowers on cupcakes they looked great. I di however forget to take a picture of them!

rybchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rybchick Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:28am
post #23 of 29

Does it have to be made entirely with shortening? Can it be made with butter or at least some butter? 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 8:21pm
post #24 of 29

Yes, you can use butter, but that can make it greasier and it will melt at a lower temp.

Rolled buttercream is NOT like fondant.  It has no stretch, it tends to be gritty, it's tooth achingly sweet, and it actually melts in heat or direct sunlight.  It's also hygroscopic, so it attracts moisture in humid environments. 

I've used it for small accent pieces and rolled very thin for cookies, but I'd never use it to cover a cake.

rybchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rybchick Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 9:03pm
post #25 of 29

Thanks so much, Maybenot! That helps a lot!

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 9:30pm
post #26 of 29

@maybenot ‍ (or anyone else)

I don't care much  for any BC made with shortening, so I am wondering about the butter as well.  I make BC with butter.  Would it be comparable to that as far as greasiness?  (To me, shortening is greasy.)

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 10:35pm
post #27 of 29

BellaRosa- re: Darth cake. I've made black cakes fondants & buttercreams, & ppl are always fretting about their teeth being black. Also, I avoid the taste of coloring, so I've found that using chocolate basr, bc or fondant, then spraying or brush painting it with black food color works just fine. You can buy can black spray food color, or mix some w vodka & airbrush. You'll use a fraction of black coloring, & ppl will still be smiling afyer. Good luck!  BTW, the RBC is soooo sweet, I have not used it since 1st try, I use chocolate ganache, whipped, white or dark, and sometimes modeling chocolate. 

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 11:43pm
post #28 of 29

You have to watch this RBC YouTube "how to" video.  Skip to 2:30.  It's hilarious.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 3:30am
post #29 of 29

Quote by @veghed on 3 hours ago

You have to watch this RBC YouTube "how to" video.  Skip to 2:30.  It's hilari

Oh, that is great!  That has been rolled way too thin [for RBC], not to mention the condition of the cake being covered......and the application is a great example of NO STRETCH.  What a mess!  My husband's take was that it would take a lot of effort to cover up that crime. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%