I Just Finished This Cake!!!

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 2 Mar 2007 , 7:47pm by bakincakin

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 32

Ok this cake is finally done I am having such a hard time with my roses I need another lesson, and i have not done basketweave in a long time this is horrible i wanted to stay up late last night and my husband said no i should go to the bed or I would be dragging the next day, well guess what I am dragging!! and the kids were all over the place while I was decorating this cake I hate the basketweave all around this cake IS THE BACK OF THE CAKE!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif plus I don't think I charged enough (roses and basketweave) 8" double layer vanilla, all buttercream dream
$25

critique if you want but don't lie icon_biggrin.gif
LL

31 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 32

I think it is BEAUTIFUL!

lkuptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkuptain Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 32

It turned out great! Looks like a beautiful basket of Spring Roses!

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 32

I really like the border on the bottom. I like it's thickness! You're roses are way better than mine. =D

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 32

It does look gorgeous. We all see our own flaws, however you should be proud of this. The roses look fine, as does the basketweave thumbs_up.gif

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 32

I think it looks great. Makes me look forward to spring.

Baking4Fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking4Fun Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 32

I think its beautiful and your right, you didn't charge enough. I don't really make cakes to sell but this looks like it would sell for muck more at a bakery! Nice Nice job.

I'm self taught and have never tried basketweaving. I was thinkingof giving it a go - doesn't look to hard- just time consuming. Whadda ya think?

Again, I love it!!!

pink_ladies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pink_ladies Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 32

Beautiful cake and yes, you did not charge enough!

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 32

I think you did a great job! I too like the thickness of the border at the bottom. I also love the shade of green you used for your leaves. Which brand/color did you use?

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 32

I think it looks lovely. I like the little leaves poking out of the basket weave...makes it look like the basket is really full! I'm horrible at basket weave as I'm not a very patient person! LOL

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 32

Looks great....You definately didn't charge enough. I'd say at least $40-$50. icon_rolleyes.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:48pm
post #12 of 32

it is lovely. and every cake has a back!!!!!!! if you're REALLY good you can make it work out evenly - but a lot of trouble, imho.

chas21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chas21 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 32

I think that it is very pretty.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 32

Your cake is so pretty! It makes me want spring to arrive right now!!

You didn't charge enough. icon_smile.gif Your basketweave looks great!

Angie

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 32

Boy are we are worst critic!!
Your cake is beautiful and makes me hope Spring is near!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #16 of 32

I think it looks great. your basketweave is great! its very even, unlike mine. I probably would never get a job at Longaberger!
Anyway, I like it, and your roses look great too.

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:58pm
post #17 of 32

Looks awesome, LOVING IT!!!!

Patricia

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:59pm
post #18 of 32

I don't see anything wrong with this cake. It's a beautiful cake. I know that we are never impressed with out own work icon_smile.gif

You did a great job, be proud and charge what it's worth. Count those dollars when you are dragging the next day.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #19 of 32

Delicate and lovely. Aren't you proud of yourself and what you accomplished?

notjustcake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaaNaa

I think its beautiful and your right, you didn't charge enough. I don't really make cakes to sell but this looks like it would sell for muck more at a bakery! Nice Nice job.

I'm self taught and have never tried basketweaving. I was thinkingof giving it a go - doesn't look to hard- just time consuming. Whadda ya think?

Again, I love it!!!

I think you have to sit to basketweave I was standing this morning!
I don't think is time consuming it is very easy once you get the hang of it and is very easy to get the hang of it give it a go everyone here at CC will guide you through

notjustcake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:03pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgett413

I think you did a great job! I too like the thickness of the border at the bottom. I also love the shade of green you used for your leaves. Which brand/color did you use?

Amricolor's avocado green

I used to use Wilton's leaf and kelly green and was never happy with the color then I found Americolor's and I think is very good for pastel color leaves!

notjustcake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm
post #22 of 32

The girl just picked it up she is leaving to Tulsa to see her Mom for her birthday and she is bringing her a cake!!! Her Mom is not even expecting a cake, when she is saw it she was so happy. She only told me she liked one of my basketweave cakes she saw and her Mom lieks purple and teal. I told her I hope it was what she was expecting and she said is more than she was expecting! She had asked how much it was going to be and I had told her $25 last week you know then today and she looked at me and was like $25 are you sure? I'll give you more... I took it as a loss but may be will gain referrals from this girl, I am just starting taking on some orders this is all good now I know even if it's just BC, roses and basketweave is more it is my wrist after all.... Thank you for you wonderful comments! give basketweave a shot for those who haven't tried it can make a cake beautiful and yes I am ready for Spring!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:19pm
post #23 of 32

See there, she even thinks it was worth more. But you did the right thing, if you told her $25 before then that should have been the price. But now you know you can charge more for you beautiful work.

Now, don't you feel great that she loved the cake and feels she is getting a bargain? icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:25pm
post #24 of 32

I think your cake looks nice. Certainly worth 25.00 at least. I would charge 35.00 though. The basketweave and all those roses are a lot of work for you and enjoyment for the receiver! icon_smile.gif

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:32pm
post #25 of 32

You did a beautiful job! I love the leaves poking out of the basket - nice touch.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:36pm
post #26 of 32

Don't sell your self short. I know that fondant requires skill also but nothing is better or prettier than a cake with buttercream icing and decorations. It is not only pleasing to the eye, but also the palet. BC flowers take skill especially roses. So don't say its only BC.

I love basketweave, it is pretty and hides all the crumbs and imperfections (if any) on the cake. People are wow'd by it. The way you stuck the leaves on the side is really cool.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:53pm
post #27 of 32

I think your cake looks FANTASTIC! I would have to agree though that you did not charge enough.

Great job though! icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:26pm
post #28 of 32

Thank you I made a note to myself you are right is not just buttercream I see that now

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #29 of 32

Your cake is fabulous. What a lot of work! Charge more next time though. thumbs_up.gif

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #30 of 32

I think it's very pretty! I can't wait for Spring!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%