Red Icing - I Need Help

Decorating By djjarrett88 Updated 17 Jan 2006 , 8:03pm by mommymarilyn

djjarrett88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djjarrett88 Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 2:26am
post #1 of 7

I find it very difficult to get a real RED color using wilton colors. Mine always comes out too light. Is this just me or are there any tricks out there I don't know about?

6 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 2:31am
post #2 of 7

When I'm using Wilton colors to make a red, I have a little demitasse spoon and I spoon out about 2/3 of the larger container (I forget how many ounces that is) into my icing and then see if I need to add more. If you can get Americolor, switch to that. It will darken a bit if left overnight, so check it in the morning if you don't use it right away. Sometimes I use the precolored Wilton red icing that comes in a tube.

Try to use no-taste red if you stick to the Wilton brand.

Deanna

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 2:35am
post #3 of 7

hiya dj and welcome to cc. A lot of folkses on here have asked the same question and for the most part have given up on getting a good red from the wilton colors altogether. From what I have read, most folks on here use the Americolor "super red" gel color. And there are a coupla tricks to to gettin it even redder. First, they will color the icing with pink (make it dark) and then add the red food coloring (keeps it from getting orangy). But I am getting ahead of myself. o well, I hope the bump will have some of the other fine peeps on the site helping ya.
Good luck and welcome to a wonderful addiction!!

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 11:14am
post #4 of 7

I usually start with pink, then add a LOT of no-taste red. TooMuchCake uses a nice elegant demitasse spoon, I use an old baby spoon. Whatever, the point is that toothpicks aren't going to cut it! You need a big ole glob of color. And definitely set overnight--the color deepens A LOT. I haven't had any trouble getting red, just don't be afraid to really add the color.

djjarrett88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djjarrett88 Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for your hints. I thought I was just crazy or something.

ColorBoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColorBoy Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 7

This question of " How to get a true Red" is a problem that has faced decorators for many years. I am happy to inform you that AmeriColor has solved this dilemma. You can get a deep rich red using our Super Red Soft Gel Paste. You don't have to start with a pink or any other trick. The truth is, it takes a lot of color to make red and the more raw color you put into food color the more it costs. AmeriColor saturates its product with as much raw color as possible so you dont have to use as much in your icing to get a red color. Also our base ingredients were formulated for use in icing and allow the color to disperse evenly and faster without getting any bitter taste.

The best thing about all of this is that you can try AmeriColor for your self and be your own judge as it is available for sale at the CAKE CENTRAL STORE! So don't take my word for it, see for yourself thumbs_up.gif

To learn more click on all posts made by COLOR BOY
icon_biggrin.gif

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 7

Definitely the color will darken if you let it set up at least a few hours, if not overnight. I recently did a 3-D Spiderman, and my boys were laughing because it was "pink"! By the next morning however, it was definitely red! Whew, I was so glad - I didn't know what I was going to do with a pink Spiderman cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%