Wilton Rtu Fondant And Fondant Paint-Useful Or Useless?

Decorating By missyb Updated 5 Apr 2005 , 6:31am by sweeterbug1977

missyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyb Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone here used this product? Does it taste decent, or should I avoid it? I am in a hurry, and it sounds so much simpler than custom coloring my own. Also, has anyone tried the fondant paints? They seem like alot of fun. Again, I am new to this stuff, so if I seem really needy of advice, its only because I am! Please be kind! I promise to catch on quick and stop pestering ya'll with the easy questions.
thanks so much icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 8

No problem at all missy b! Keep asking away--that's why we are all here.

The Wilton fondant (colors and white) tastes, in a word, horrible. It is easy to use though and the colors are nice. If you are in a hurry, go ahead and use it. I have. For reference though, my favorite brand of fondant is Pettinice.

I've never used the fondant paints and stamps. I am curious about them and may have to buy some soon.

Hope all works out well for you. Good luck!

missyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyb Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 8

thanks for the support, i am going to skip the premade fondant and go ahead and try the paints and stamps. i will let you know how they turn out

ccbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccbakes Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 8

Actually I have never tasted any fondant other than Wilton so I can't really compare them. I have used the paints and stamps and they're fairly easy to use but I really didn't notice any funny taste after they were on the cake.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 8

OK, I was given a little of the RTU fondant, I tasted it, its not horrible, but I dont like it....it tastes like something is missing......so I guess I wont go and buy any, now if I can only get the MMF to work, and not taste like the 10X sugar, I would be happy.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 4:50am
post #6 of 8

You can add different flavors to it to get it to taste better. But it doesn't taste much better. I think it tastes a little better when I add vanilla flavoring or something of your choice. It tastes like cardboard & I don't like the texture. To me it tastes like eating dirt straight from the sand box. It feels grittty like sand in your mouth.

I haven't used the paints sorry. ~TC~

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 8:36am
post #7 of 8

OK Tina now I have to ask.....why are you eating dirt out of a sandbox? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Its not good for the teeth..... icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 6:31am
post #8 of 8

I have some of the stamps, and also have the bow roller (not the correct term). I really like it because not only can you cut out the fondant with ease, but it also has these attachments that leaves different designs on the fondant as well. I haven't been able to play with my stamps very much since hubby bought them for me, but plan on doing so soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%