Edible Images

Decorating By stb Updated 15 Jan 2006 , 3:34pm by Lisa

stb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stb Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 25

I am going to using an edible image for the first time this weekend. Does anyone have any tips for me? Also I wanted to know how much in advance you can put the image on the cake. And does it need to be in the fridge after it is on the cake? icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

24 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 25

Welcome to Cakecentral!

Before you put you image on the cake..make sure the top of your cake is as flat and smooth as possible. Any imperfections are likely to show thru the image. Be careful removing the image from the backing..they tear easily. If you have any problems removing the backing, try rolling the image over the edge of your counter (some people put it in the freezer for a little bit or even use a hiar dryer on the back of it..I've never tried those methods though!)
You can put the image on the icing before it crusts over or if after it crusts over....spray very lightly with water and then apply the image.

Once the image is on you can smooth it gently with either your hand or an angled spatula (I use the spatula!)

I have put an image on several days ahead of time with no problems. Once completed you can either store it in a cake box on the counter or in the fridge..either way is fine! HTH! Good luck! Don't forget to take a pic of your work!!

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 25

Hi there,
I just picked up the edible image I ordered from the cake supply store for a cake I'm making this week-end....it doesn't seem to have a backing, or is it really hard to tell them apart (the image and the backing)? I too have never used one before and I hate to give everyone an extra tastey treat (the backing). There is a grease proof sheet underneath the image, but its not stuck together...is that it and its already been detached? Help Please!!

butrcup Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 1:52am
post #4 of 25

just bumping this

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 2:10am
post #5 of 25

HI butrcup, Can I ask what kind of image you have? Is it frosting sheets ie; kopykake, or rice paper from tasty photoart?

butrcup Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 25

Hi Maxiecakes,
I don't know what kind it is...I just pulled it out of the plastic baggie and its really flimsy...I don't know how there could be any kind of backing on this. How do I tell the difference between the two that you asked me about?
Okay...I just tore a little piece off the corner (there is enough extra border that I would cut it anyway) Yep, I stuck it in my mouth...it dissolved so no backing I'm guessing...geez I hate this.

vande3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vande3boys Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:11am
post #7 of 25

where do you get these images and how do you get the custome made?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:21am
post #8 of 25

Maybe the store removed the backing to make it easier for you to apply it to your cake? If this is the case, it sure seems like they would have told you that they had done it.

I have a couple of images that I printed and removed from the backing and then didn't use them, I have kept them in a sealed bag and they seem to be fine, haven't dried out or anything.

Vande3boys, some of the larger in-store bakeries will make the edible images for you, and there are some online supply stores that also sell them. Sugarcraft, and maybe Kopykake as well, I think have a good selection, but haven't looked lately. Like several of the other CC members, I have a Canon printer dedicated to the edible ink, to print my own.

Janice

vande3boys Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:30am
post #9 of 25

Thanks for the help, is that the only type ofprinter that does printing or can you buy ink for any printer?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:40am
post #10 of 25

So far they only make the edible ink cartridges for the Canon (but several models) printers. Mine is the IP 3000 (has 4 color cartridges), several own the IP 1600 (has 2 color cartridges). You can check them out and find supplies and info at www.kopykakes.com and www.sugarcraft.com, and there are lots of threads here on CC about them.
Our moderator, Lisa, is very well informed and shares a lot with us on this subject.

butrcup Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:56am
post #11 of 25

thanks for all your help on this. I guess I'll just lay it on the cake and see what happens.
Does it just kinda melt into the buttercream?
That would be wonderful to have your own. I paid $10 for the picture, wouldn't want to do that very often.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 5:48am
post #12 of 25

Having your own equipment is worth every penny! I only use Kopykake products which have a backing. I am wondering if your image was printed on rice paper or wafer paper. I do not think that wafer paper will melt into your icing. It would still probably be fine if you are planning on typing a border around it. I have not used wafer paper. icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by butrcup

That would be wonderful to have your own. I paid $10 for the picture, wouldn't want to do that very often.

It really is. It cost me about $100 for my system including the printer (2 cartridge/Canon i350), edible inks and frosting sheets ( www.kopykake.com or www.sugarcraft.com is where I purchase my supplies). I figured printing them myself averages about $3 or less a sheet thumbs_up.gif I bought my printer a while back and newer models have since come out. The newest 2 cartridge model is the Canon iP1500 which can be purchased for $50 or less. It's a great investment and a lot of fun.

maxiecakes Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 25

HI AGAIN BUTRCUP,
OK THIS IS JUST FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE, AT FIRST I WAS GOING TO THE BAKERY AND PAYING A BUNDLE FOR IMAGES WHICH WERE ALMOST ALWAYS RICE PAPER, WHEN I FINALLY REALIZED IT WOULD BE CHEAPER TO GET MY OWN KIT I BOUGHT MY PRINTER FROM FRY'S ELECTRONICS ON SALE FOR $40. THEN I FOUND ''TASTYPHOTOART AND BOUGHT RICE PAPER, CARTRIDGES ETC.... THEN I STARTED NOTICING THAT THE CAKES WEREN'T QUITE WHAT I WANTED. THEY WERE KIND OF FAKE OR SOMETHING, SO I DECIDED TO TRY KOPYKAKE...
OH BOY LET ME TELL YOU .... THE DIFFERENCE WAS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY! I WILL NEVER USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE KOPYKAKE FROSTING SHEETS AGAIN!! BUT LIKE I SAID THAT'S JUST ME.
SOMEONE ELSE MAY HAVE A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE WITH IT.

butrcup Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 25

I don't really like the edible image I bought, its really dull & washed out, but I only make cakes for friends etc. I was asked to make the cake for my sons football banquet because I was always sending cakes and cookies for the team for Saturday films (I would call them victims of my hobby but football players will eat anything) so I can't see spending the money but wow would that be fun to have!! I would think you could do just amazing things with it...as I've seen in the photo gallery.
I'm guessing this thing I have is on rice paper. So here is my next question. If I finish the cake tonight am I okay leaving it boxed on the counter? It wont fit in my frige and I don't want to wait until tomorrow to find out I screwed up.

butrcup Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 6:42pm
post #16 of 25

I forgot to say "thanks" again.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 25

I had another thread on this but no replies so thought I'd try here...

How do you use fondant and edible images to make things like "money", "magazines", "diplomas", and etc? Do you roll out the fondant shape, moisten it, stick on the image, and then let it dry for a week or so? Or, do you let the fondant dry first, then moisten the top and put the image on while you decorate the cake?

maxiecakes Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 7:09pm
post #18 of 25

BUTRCUP, I DON'T SEE WHY NOT AS LONG AS YOUR FILLINGS DON'T HAVE DAIRY, AS FAR AS THE IMAGE GOES IT'LL BE FINE JUST MAKE A LITTLE BORDER AROUND IT TO KEEP THE EDGES DOWN,
KITGIRL, BOTH WAYS WORK BUT I THINK IT'S BETTER TO DO EVERYTHING BEFORE DRYING
IMHO icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by butrcup

If I finish the cake tonight am I okay leaving it boxed on the counter? It wont fit in my frige and I don't want to wait until tomorrow to find out I screwed up.

..yes it will be just fine, I always have my cakes finished a day or two ahead of time and leave them on the counter in a cake box! I have also kept finished cakes in the fridge for a day or two, if the filling needs to be cold!

Lisa Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 9:15pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I had another thread on this but no replies so thought I'd try here...

How do you use fondant and edible images to make things like "money", "magazines", "diplomas", and etc? Do you roll out the fondant shape, moisten it, stick on the image, and then let it dry for a week or so? Or, do you let the fondant dry first, then moisten the top and put the image on while you decorate the cake?

You can use piping gel (very thin layer) or water (can cause image to fade if there are a lot of chemicals in your water) to attach edible images/frosting sheets to fondant. The plastic backing can be used as a template to cut the fondant to shape. If you need the fondant image to be stiff/stand up, you'd let it dry until it become hard.

vande3boys Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 3:43am
post #21 of 25

thanks for the help now I just have to talk my husband into it. icon_lol.gif

butrcup Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 6:19am
post #22 of 25

the cake is done, it worked out fine. Thanks for all the help, it is always appreciated!

MrsMissey Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 3:09pm
post #23 of 25

Congrats!! did you take a picture?

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 3:27pm
post #24 of 25

for those of you that have printers..... I've heard that if you don't use the printers on a daily basis they go bad .. how often do you guys use them? ... has anyone ever had a prob?

Lisa Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 3:34pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasmami

for those of you that have printers..... I've heard that if you don't use the printers on a daily basis they go bad .. how often do you guys use them? ... has anyone ever had a prob?

If you don't use your printer regularly, the print head can become clogged. If I'm not going to be printing an image for at least 3 weeks to a month (less for some people because of dryer climates), I remove the edible ink cartridges and clean the print head leaving cleaning cartridges installed. No problems as long as you maintain your printer properly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%