Anyone Know How....making Fondant Buttons

Decorating By lbutrum Updated 4 Mar 2007 , 12:09am by dky

lbutrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbutrum Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all you experts!!! I've seen several posted cakes with the most adorable fondant buttons...anyone know how these are made? TIA

6 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 7

I made some but I didnt end up using them on a cake though. But I rolled up a small piece of fondant/gumpaste then I took the end of a dowel rod and flattened it. Then I took tip 1 and made the button holes. They are cute! I really wanted to use them but I was having so much trouble with the cake I was afraid to add any more decorations for fear I was going to screw up yet again!

Darby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darby Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 7

I made some by rolling fondont into a snake shape & then tried to slice into even sized pieces. Roll those pieces into a ball & then flatten with the end of a dowel. Then use a #1 tip to make the thread holes. Good luck!

lbutrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbutrum Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks guys! Can't wait to try!!

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 9:21am
post #5 of 7

I have a sewing cake posted under my photo where I did buttons... the idea came from another cake central member... who was kind enough to allow me to copy her design, let me know if they are the style you mean and I can share with you what she shared with me

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dky

I have a sewing cake posted under my photo where I did buttons... the idea came from another cake central member... who was kind enough to allow me to copy her design, let me know if they are the style you mean and I can share with you what she shared with me

I love your cakes dky. I am a big fan! the sewing cake is so cute. My MIL bday is coming up and she loves sewing. I may have to use it as inspriation if you dont mind.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:09am
post #7 of 7

I love your cakes dky. I am a big fan! the sewing cake is so cute. My MIL bday is coming up and she loves sewing. I may have to use it as inspriation if you dont mind.[/quote]

Thanks Merissa they are very kind words and very flattering. We are constantly learning and have been able to try lots of wonderful projects because of some very sharing people on CC. As mentioned the sewing cake was not my idea but the CC member was so generous with me and giving me her directions, I always loved her cake. Feel free to use anything you see. I am a strong believer that recipes and cake designs are not owned by anyone... its cake afterall and it should be enjoyed by as many as possible.

Thanks again

karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%