Can I Make Mmf Using Homemade-Marshmallow Recipe?

Decorating By Zakiah Updated 12 Jan 2006 , 3:32pm by cuillere

Zakiah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zakiah Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 8

Hi. I want to try makin the MMF but i don't have any marshmallow at home. I did some browsing on how to make my own marshmallow and most of the recipes call for gelatin,corn syrup, sugar. Since I'm gonna melt the marshmallow anyway, can I just use those homemade marshmallow recipe?

here's a recipe i found on the net:
http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/bldes60.htm

Ingredients
Vegetable shortening (Crisco recommended) for preparing the pan

1 cup cold water
3 tablespoons (3 envelopes) unflavored gelatin
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Confectioners sugar (for coating the marshmallows)

So,how can I make my MMF using this marshmallow recipe? Can anyone help me? Thanks guys!!

7 replies
prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 8

icon_smile.gif Although I always make my own Marshmallows (very easy), I have never made Fondant out of it.. Try and experiment it. Only way to find out. When it comes to the part where you beat the eggs whites really, really fast while adding the Gelatin/Syrup mixture, that might be the part where you can add the powdered sugar.. I've always thougth of that.

I make my Fondant out of packaged Marshmallows.. icon_smile.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 8

You're really just adding an extra step for yourself. You can make fondant from scratch using mostly the same ingredients without making the marshmallows first. I use Collette Peters recipe. I don't suppose you have any glycerine in the house, but I think Rainbowz has tried this without it with good results.

2# pdr sugar
1 T gelatin
1/4 c cold water
1/2 c corn syrup or glucose
1 1/2 T glycerine
1 t flavoring (extract)

Sift the sugar into a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.

Sprinkle the gelatin over the water, let stand for 5 min. Heat until gelatin dissolves. DO NOT BOIL.

Add corn syrup, glycerine & flavoring to gelatin, mix well.
Stir into powdered sugar until combined, then knead until stiff.

Wrap in plastic wrap & store in an airtight container. Let stand 8 hrs, especially if humid.

Zakiah Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 8

I see.. and you're right alimonkey, I don't really have any glycerin at home. And about the corn syrup, I was told that I can substitute those with maple syrup. Though the fondant wouldn't be totally white, I guess I don't mind. Can I use maple syrup instead of corn syrup?

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 8

pre-made Marshamallows, water and powdered sugar is still considered a "from scratch" Fondant.. it's just that the Marshmallows are not home made. Just like making a cake, we buy the flour already made, we do not make our own flour.

I don't think I will ever go back to the
NON Marshamallow Fondant.. Michaels sells Glycerin (? spelling)..I used this when I made my own Christmas Snow Globes (not food). icon_smile.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 8

If it's real maple syrup I would think it would be too thin. You can try it, but you'll probably have to either add extra sugar or boil the syrup down until you get a thicker consistency. Is the stuff not available to you, or do you just not feel like making a trip to the store?

Zakiah Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 8

Well, I happen to have some maple syrup left in the fridge enough to make one-two batch of MMF. I thought if it is usable, then I don't have to go to the store and buy it.

Plus, I'm living in Japan and they don't really sell stuff like corn syrup in the local stores :p You have to either buy it online ( which will only take longer to arrive,plus shipping fees ) OR go to stores that sells overseas branded goods ( that is if you're lucky to find one that sells it )

So, yeah..I think I'll try boiling the syrup a bit and see how it goes. Thanks for the advices everyone! I'll let you guys know how it turns out!
( I'm trying it out tomorrow. Wish me luck!)

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 8

I did marshmallows from scratch and used it in fondant. I also use colette's fondant recipe all the time, the diffrence is that the marshmallow from scratch has to be heated to 240 (exactly no more no less) and that makes a huuuuuuge diffrence, because as you heat sugar it's form changes and the results are completely diffrent. The reason why satin ice -and other high quality fondants_is so smooth and satiny is in the heating process.
The problems with marshmallow fondant made at home:
Cracking: it was amazing how the dought cracked all over the place, it was so bad I couldn't do anything about it but throw it away, that's because of lack of fats (no glycerine), I added a table spoon to the rest of the batch and got better results.
Convenience:Because you have to whip the marshmallows very fast to get the right consistancy, you have to work very fast and have your other bowl with podered sugar and a well in the middle ready to go. So you can dump the marshmallow batter right on the powdered sugar, if you wait to long the marshmallows will harden and start to streak even if you knit it streaks will show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%