My Fondant Is So Matte

Decorating By imnamor95 Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 9:43am by koko4min

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:22am
post #1 of 9

How do I get it to be "glossy", it looks so like dry/matte/dull. icon_confused.gif

8 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:29am
post #2 of 9

Funny how our tastes differ. I like fondant for exactly that reason, because the matte look is like smooth satin. To me Marshmallow fondant or rolled buttercream has that shiny look to it, have you tried either of them?

diperez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diperez Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:30am
post #3 of 9

I use a small amount of corn starch to prevent my fondant from sticking to my rolling pin and my counter top (corian). After I apply my fondant, I use a smooth brush just in case.

When I use to use confectionar's sugar I used to have your problem as it dried it out and caused it to dry with old skin texture, you know what I mean? icon_smile.gif Now using the tiny bit of corn starch is a blessing!

best of luck.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #4 of 9

If you want it shiny, you can always use shortening to handle it- that will make it glossy.

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:34am
post #5 of 9

Do u think if I rub a little Crisco on it, after it is applied onto the cake, it will get less dull?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:46am
post #6 of 9

Refer to my previous post. icon_wink.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:27am
post #7 of 9

You can brush a little Crisco on a pastry brush and apply it to the fondant wrapped cake, or a little Crisco on a paper towel and rub it on. It will remove any rsidue of cornstarch or powdered sugar and will leave a sheen to the fondant, but not really a shiny look. Another thing I have found is after your fondant is rolled out and ready to be applied to the cake, there is a shiny side and a matte side, the shiny side is undrneath, flip it over and enrobe the cake with the shiny side up. I prefer the matte side up myself.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:33am
post #8 of 9

I work my fondant with crisco. I don't use cornstarch or confection sugar.

koko4min Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koko4min Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:43am
post #9 of 9

If you want it really glossy you can rub the finished cake with margarine. It comnes up nice and shiny so its good for novelty cakes like cars or teapots etc.

Cheers Min

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%