Just A Tad Bit Annoyed

Business By didi5 Updated 5 Mar 2007 , 1:41am by popcornbrown

cheekysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekysweets Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 12:58am
post #31 of 205

Doug that is so hysterical........I agree you charged way to low, send her packing.....see if she can find that deal anywhere else

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:02am
post #32 of 205
Quote:
Quote:

I think i would need more than $10 The stuff I would want after doing 70 mini hex cakes is closer to the top shelf!

Too Funny! There is no way I would back off of the price. If sweetie can, like find a better deal then sweetie, can like, go to the other baker. Did the dress shop give Frick and Frack a discount because they both bought their dresses at the same place? Want to negotiate deals, go to the flea market or a yard sale. Want a quality cake when you're already being a little snot? Pay the price.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:04am
post #33 of 205

I'm with Doug on the pricing!!!! I'm from Canada and you are WAY underpricing for this order. If she doesn't want to pay$350 then don't take the order. For the amount of time and effort that will go into this order you certainly won't be paying yourself much for this one. If she decides to pay the quoted price, I would be concerned that she would tell everyone that she overpaid.

Just my 2 cents.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:06am
post #34 of 205

Stand firm! That is NOT too much. And if she can really find a better deal elsewhere, why is she haggling with you?

If she can't afford it, she should choose a simpler cake! Brides need to understand this.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:07am
post #35 of 205

Run for the hills!! It's BRIDEZILLA and her blood-sucking companion! That e-mail downright ticked me off and I don't even have to deal with her!! I'd be conveniently busy on her date and fall to my knees thanking God that I didn't take her order 'cause she's the one doing the ordering around!! Talk about a spoiled brat!!

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:10am
post #36 of 205

I'd say either tell her no way or tell her that you can pick up 70 cupcakes from Wal-Mart for her and deliver them as is to her wedding- and there is no choice of flavor color etc. And add a delivery charge! Sounds like a nut to me, I wouln't deal with her if she's difficult from the begining! Go with your gut feeling-it's usually right!

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:12am
post #37 of 205

Doug, Doug, Doug, Doug, I love your mind and all your drawings and calculations and everything. You are so cool. You forgot one thing I think:

The fact that this bride was 70 mini MATCHING cakes. Duplicates of the large one. So you forgot to calculate how much extra it will cost to 'quilt' 70, 70!!!!!!!! mini cakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and extra for the dragees on those little cakes too.

Now what's your calculation Doug?????????????????????????????????????

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:13am
post #38 of 205

I just looked at your cakes. You do amazing work! She is haggling with you instead of going elsewhere because she desperately wants you to do her cake! You have the upper hand in this, if you want it. icon_smile.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:16am
post #39 of 205

I think the bride is right, you should only charge $250 for the cakes.

Delivery & setup will be $400

Of course the standard "pain in the ***" fee of $200 gets doubled to $400, since you not only have to deal with not one but two crazy brides.

Unfortunately quilting pattern cakes can only go on the new Foxfire 2000 cake boards, those will run her $3.00 each ($210 for the minis)

And finally, we can't forget the Cake Central mandated mini-cake tax of $2.00 per mini cake.

So before sales tax total is $1400 even, which coincidentally is exactly what we would charge to fill that order. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

LanaC Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #40 of 205

Piece of Cake, I just took a gander at your web site. Your work is absolutely beautiful.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #41 of 205

On several other threads I've talked about the lady who I had the consultation with last Fall who wanted a 6-foot tall (that's right!icon_surprised.gif ) wedding cake for FREE! icon_confused.gif I told her she would have to pay no matter where she went. Well the rest of the story goes like this: Every change she made she tried to beat me down in price (it was a VERY long two hours with her!), using such lines as "if you give me your card you'll get more business out of this..." and the like (she reminded me of your little missy in your story! icon_confused.gif ) Anyway, I STOOD MY GROUND and told her this is the way it was, deal with it (very politely) and was almost disappointed when she called me back wanting me to do the cake ON MY TERMS (now that's more like it! thumbs_up.gif )

Sweetie, stand your ground and don't let her badger you. I had a woman in my cookie class (every month for over a year she's been in my class) and when she asked me how much I would charge for a HUGE order I gave her the already discounted price and she said "you're fired." I told her (very sweetly of course) "well you're always welcome to do them yourself." icon_twisted.gif And she did! Which is fine by me! In the case of Mrs. 6-foot wedding cake, she's getting a beautiful (albiet much smaller) cake with a jacked up charge (just for having to deal with her. icon_razz.gif ) So there you have it! My $2.50 on the subject!! icon_lol.gif

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:20am
post #42 of 205

Tell her to quit complaining, to go back to school, and to learn how to spell!

You gave her a price - she can either take it or leave it. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate it if she was at work selling something and everyone was trying to knock down the price she gave them.

Remember - you get what you pay for. I'd say, do NOT knock down the price anymore. Minicakes are so much more work than one big cake.

And what does it matter if two people come in at once? I don't get what the heck her point is there. Are they trying to say that they should get two cakes for the price of one, or something similar? If so, I think she's nuts (well, that was pretty obvious from the start).

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:21am
post #43 of 205

Hi Didi I also live in Montreal and have a good idea of prices for cakes around here so I have to agree stick to your guns your price is more than reasonable. Just make sure you get paid in advance cause I have a funny feeling about this customer. Better yet tell her to go to SuperC and get one there they do wedding cakes for cheap lol

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:26am
post #44 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

Piece of Cake, I just took a gander at your web site. Your work is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for your kind words Lana... my wife is the cake deco talent of the family, I am somewhat limited by my "man hands". icon_biggrin.gif

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:29am
post #45 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi5

Hi the cake was good but I still have a problem with price, I
still
think it is a little expensive for 70 people 350$ my friend who is
getting
married on july 7 has 200 guests and is paying 360 she has the better
deal.
I lOVE THE CAKE BUT NOT THE PRICE. How is it that the design now cost
money
when you said there would be no extra charge for that. I am kind of
upset
because you are not willing to budge and especially because its not
just me
you get two customers instead of one most people are willing to bargain
when
they see that they have 2 customers instead of 1. I will think about
it and
let you know, but i would like a better price. for 70 people i think
250$
is reasonable.

Seriously.

She should not be getting married.

She needs to get her @$$ back in school and learn that the dollar-sign goes BEFORE the numbers do, and to capitalize the first letter in a sentence.

What cracks me up the most is:
"I lOVE THE CAKE BUT NOT THE PRICE."

Why the one lowercase letter?

I would just tell her that you have a $2,000.00 cake order that same day, and you don't have time to offer your services.

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:30am
post #46 of 205

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Ya know what???

Sometimes, it has absolute nothing to do with the money, the complexity, the extras, or any of that other stuff. Sometimes, you simply have to think about whether or not you want to deal with that person. Do you want to deal with someone who thinks your work is worth nothing.

Don't you dare sell your self shorter than you already are. She's already getting a deal with the $350.

And I'm not speaking from inexperience. I had someone who wanted 48 six inch RED VELVET cakes as centerpieces for her tables. I stupidly quoted $350 and she said it was too much. I said OK, and sent her elsewhere.

Good Luck and stand tall. Your work is worth it. So is your sanity.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:30am
post #47 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerfreak

Doug, Doug, Doug, Doug, I love your mind and all your drawings and calculations and everything. You are so cool. You forgot one thing I think:

The fact that this bride was 70 mini MATCHING cakes. Duplicates of the large one. So you forgot to calculate how much extra it will cost to 'quilt' 70, 70!!!!!!!! mini cakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and extra for the dragees on those little cakes too.

Now what's your calculation Doug?????????????????????????????????????

hmmmm.....

ok.....triple! so that's now $3.50x3 = $10.50 --- but that's to hard to multiple and those dragees are a total PITA so we'll just round up to say $12

now that times 70 = $840....

hmmm....adding on PiecesofCakeAZ mandatory tax adds another $140 so that $980 ... and her sanzy cakeboards do sound nice....
so that's another $210 for $1050

yep and we did forget S&H aka delivery and set-up...gee and the way gas is going UP UP UP....that's got to be at least the $400 already mentioned if not even $500....

so $1550

and yea, just a bottle of aspirin just isn't going to hack it to take care of the stress and top shelf does sound good as does a day at the spa w/ relaxing massage, manicure, etc......so that's another $350 (hey, that's a first class spa too!)

$1900.

oh, yea don't for get that itty bitty tier

$1950

(now what other fee did I/we forget)
(i don't like your looks?)
(i don't do doubles but for you I will at......)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:33am
post #48 of 205

Whoa...okay...all I have to say is after doing all those mini cakes, you are gonna think $350 was WAY too little! I had to do 60 single tier mini cakes, each individually boxed...and I charged $6/each and because of all the time it took to wrap each board and put together each box and fill all those cakes, etc.... I am charging $8/each next time! And it was nothing compared to the design your Bridezilla wants!

Frankly, I'd run away from this order really fast. Believe me, I did not realize how awful mini cakes are until I did mine. You will regret taking this order unless you raise your price, not lower it!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:34am
post #49 of 205

PieceOfCakeAZ: LOVE your "New Math"!! LOLL

THIS is why I don't do wedding cakes for "real people"! They are INSANE!! I don't know whose idea this was (I KNOW I read it on CC) about going to a nice restaurant and ordering dessert. I thought about that the other day when I was at Olive Garden and ordered their new chocolate cake (NO SUGAR ADDED)and how much did I pay.....6.50! Oh YEAH!! It WAS worth it!! I turned to my friend and quoted "but people freak if you charge over $1.00/serving for a wedding cake!" She just looked at me with this "whadda ya mean?" look! They DON'T get it, do they?

Oneprimalscream: My son and his family live in Visalia, CA! Just wanted to say "Hi from KY"!

DO NOT BUDGE on your price!!! In fact, BEG her to go elsewhere. Trust me....it's not worth YOUR sanity!!

Beth in KY

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:37am
post #50 of 205

Doug....you forgot to add the $500 bitch fee to your calculation. Oh, yeah..... times two (I forgot about her "friend"). Add another $1,000 to your total.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:40am
post #51 of 205

Tell her you got to thinking about it and recalculated everything and came up with $550 instead take it or leave it. I know those mini cakes are just going to be awful to do. If you are paid what you are worth you won't mind too much doing them. But for the price that you quoted her, I don't think I would do it for that little.

ksimp6577 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksimp6577 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:41am
post #52 of 205

DO NOT BUDGE!!! You don't go to the mall and tell the salespeople you think the price is too high, but I'll pay X. . . She's going to be nothing but trouble!!

LanaC Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:42am
post #53 of 205

I'd just send back a reply, correcting the grammar in her email in red and leave it at that. You really don't want this client.

Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:46am
post #54 of 205

I agree...you REALLY do NOT want to do those cakes.... anything that involved I've seen online costs at least $15 each for individuals....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:46am
post #55 of 205

Well didi5, you know how we all feel -- what are your thoughts on this??

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:53am
post #56 of 205

Do not budge. If people say they like the cake she will tell them how she talked you down. Then everyone will start pulling this when they order. It will just be a slippery slope.

dkjjsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkjjsmom Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:54am
post #57 of 205

I wouldn't touch this deal with a 20 foot bridal bouquet. She dounds like the kind of person that always gets her way by whining. What if the mini-cakes don't match well enough or she pays in advance but upon receiving the cakes starts whining about this or that and demands some kind of refund because she's not happy. Also, did the second person order also? If so I don;t hear her complaining. Stick to your guns. But I would tell her-Bye, Bye.

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:54am
post #58 of 205

Wow, thanks guys for your responses and great support. Just to clarify some things, she only wants the top tier of the cake shown. She wants one big momma and 70 litttle baby ones.

This is how I came up with the pricing:'

6" hexagon : $ 35
flowers on that cake: $15
minicakes = $4 x 70: 280
cake stand rental: $20

And in this price delivery and set up is included. And yes, the price is in Canadian $$. I wish I could charge what Doug had quoted, I think that is a fair estimate. I never made minis before that's why I only felt comfortable charging $4 a piece. I know that they're a PITA to make and I am actually not looking forward to making them. Plus I'm not crazy about the date either, it's in December between Christmas and New year's. She is not a friend, she was just referred by my friend who is a banquet manager at this budget hotel. God bless his heart but the brides that he refers to me are also budget. Actually, I have no problems working with budget brides and I'm willing to work in their price range. I had worked with this sweet bride from the hotel and she understood what design she gets for her budget ( the pink & brown monogram cake in my gallery).
However, this one takes the cake (no pun intended). She had already stood me up on her first appointment with me last October. She called me to cancel an hour before our meeting and when I asked her if she wants to reschedule, she said no. Then out of the blue in February, she calls back again...do you remember me?...

I think I'm letting this one go. So not worth it!

Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #59 of 205

Let it go...I agree! $4 is nothing for an individual cake.... she should have accepted the offer when she had it. Too late now!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #60 of 205

Please keep us posted if she replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%