Ariel Cake Ideas?

Decorating By midwestmom Updated 29 Mar 2007 , 2:28am by Ariginal

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 16

My kids always have a way of picking cakes with really expensive pans. I paid $50 each for 2 Star Wars pans a few years ago. And now my daughter says she wants Ariel for her birthday. I just checked Ebay & they are going for $40 (+s/h of course). Any ideas how to make an Ariel cake without the pan? I'm pretty much a beginner at this so nothing too complicated.

15 replies
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 16

I did a Disney princesses cake a while back... I bought a cake kit from the bakery at Walmart and then went from there...I put each princess in her own little setting and when I got to Ariel I was out of "good" drop flowers...well then I looked a little harder and the bad ones without the centers looked like shells...so I piped some sea weed and used those shells and she was really the best princess of all...Since she only wants Ariel maybe you could use a Ariel Barbie or a little bigger doll than the one Walmart has in the Bakery and do a ocean scene. I try to do that instead of buying the pans that I may never use again!! Just a thought!

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 16

I did an Ariel cake (in my photos) without a pan. It was a lot of fun to make!

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 16

That's a great cake...how did you do those barnicles or your seaweed stuff?

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 16

I took a look at your photos - they are great.

One idea I thought of - since you have already used the wonder mold pan (maybe you even still have it), you could use that pan for Ariel. I have seen this a couple of times here at CC. You could use the "skirt" part as the sea and make Ariels tail out of fondant, or piped on..... Just an idea. I'll see if I can find the picture that I am talking about. BBL

Jen

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 16

Ok - I'm back icon_wink.gif

Here are a few pictures to show you what I was talking about.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_217783.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_77559.html

HTH

Jen

SisterSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SisterSister Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 16

Here is the cake I did for my daughter. Everyone loved it. Good luck!
LL

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 16

Why don't you try the wondermold pan. You can search the gallery and found lot of cakes like that.
Other option is going with a FTBC over a regular cake.
JMO the pans are expensive...it is not worthed!

kakeladee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladee Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 16

Hello,

Maybe you could buy an Arial coloring book and trace a picture for butter cream transfer. Or maybe trace over with royal icing or run-in icing. Just a thought.
[/i]

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I guess I should have searched the gallery first. I found 131 pictures of Ariel. Some really great ideas. I do still have the wondermold pan so that's definately an option. I"ve never done a FTBC so that's something I could try also.

biviana, the pans are expensive, you're right. I'm getting quite a collection & being the packrat that I am, I hate to get rid of them.

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS

That's a great cake...how did you do those barnicles or your seaweed stuff?

Thanks! For the long tubey stuff I just made small fondant "sausages", poked the end of a paint brush into them and then attached them in clumps with icing. For the seaweed I made long spears of fondant, painted them with luster dust.

icon_smile.gif

hhon378 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hhon378 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:08am
post #12 of 16

Hi Ladies!! Does anyone know WHERE to get an ariel doll to stick in the wondermold pan??! I've seen some red-headed dolls on this site but i've no idea where to get them!! Any help with what tip to use for making the tailfin would be appreciated, too! I have to make an Ariel cake in 3 weeks!!

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:21am
post #13 of 16

I was just at The Rag Shop this weekend and they have a new Wilton Aeriel pan. It is just her head and it is very pretty! I think it was appx. $11.

You could buy an Ariel doll at Wal-MArt or Target. They always have them. They would be in the toy section with all of the princess toys and dolls. They have all of the princesses!!!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:21am
post #14 of 16

There are a lot of Ariel and mermaid cakes in the gallery.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:21am
post #15 of 16

What i have done in the past when i was first starting out and learnt about 3D cakes etc... i use to take a pic of the character i wanted to do had it photocopied bigger and made a slab cake in my roasting dish... then i cut the around the pic on it and then buttercreamed it putting in the details i needed and colour matching etc... i did it for the littlest mermaids fish i pop it in my photos for you to see also with tommie off the rugrats.. hope that helps good luck cant wait to see the finished product.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:28am
post #16 of 16

Oops sorry didnt have a pic on my puter of the fish so i have attached a pic of tommie and tigger from winnie the pooh.. see i dont have and dont use predone pans all my cakes i cut or shaper myself from squares, rectangles etc... depending what i am making.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%