Glucose What A Rip Off

Decorating By lables12 Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm by TexasSugar

lables12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lables12 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 31

I read somewhere on here yesterday that Glucose is just Corn Syrup, so I read the side of the small $5 container of glucose that I bought yesterday and there you have it: Corn Syrup....god.. They are really getting us good with all the Wilton recipes etc. that call for glucose...
boohoo

30 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 31

yup....i use the store brand syrup, 3x as much for a dollar and a half...works great! sorry you learned that after having bought it!!!

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 31

Really?!?! OMG I feel dumb! Thanks for sharing this info!

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 31

Wow! I have been paying $5 and up for glucose.
I am going to try it with corn syrup which I have at home anyhow. Thanks for finding this out and letting us know. I feel like an idiot for spending so much on glucose.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 31

Actually, from what I understand, glucose is derived from corn starch. Cornstarch is broken down by natural enzymes into glucose, fructose and dextrose. These sugars are then combined and heated to create corn syrup.

High fructose corn syrup, on the other hand, is subject to 3 different types of enzymatic breakdowns. This results in a higher fructose level in the corn syrup which requires more work by the liver to be broken down by the human body. Thus the big debate over it's issues with human health.

Sorry this is windy...just wanted to add that they are two separate things, but most of the time can be inter-changed.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 31

you can definately use corn syrup in place of glucose in most recipes - but it is not the same exact thing.

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 31

Are you serious? Dumb...Da Da Dumb!!!! Well at least we know now!!! icon_redface.gif Thanks for the post!

Luv,
Jenn

Confectionary1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary1 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 31

I am the one who started the post about the glucose....and many people responded to me saying that they used light corn syrup as an even exchange. And after I purchased a jar of it just to see...it is just a little bit condensed. Yep, a rip off!

Kattycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kattycake Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 31

Has anyone tried using the light corn syrup in rolled fondant or gum paste? Does it work as well there? I'm all for saving money!

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 31

Wow that's great to know.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattycake

Has anyone tried using the light corn syrup in rolled fondant or gum paste? Does it work as well there? I'm all for saving money!

used corn syrup in both, and worked great! i've never bought glucose, cause i read in the cake bible a long time ago that corn syrup could be used. i think she recommends using 9 tbsp corn syrup when a recipe calls for 1/2 cup glucose.

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 31

double OMGosh!! i can't believe how much $$$ i have spent on wilton glucose! What can i use instead of wilton meringue powder? icon_surprised.gif

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:39pm
post #13 of 31

wow...thanx a bunch for that info!!! i've spent alot of money on glucose!!!!! amazing! and meringue powder...lol.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 31

Good info - thanks

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:52pm
post #15 of 31

can light corn syrup be used instead? wow...they really do rip people off!!

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:03pm
post #16 of 31

Thanks rstml, it's nice to know. icon_smile.gif I would prefer to use the glucose because corn syrup is hard for the body to break down and it may be cheaper but health is more important to me.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:20pm
post #17 of 31

I will step up to the tirade of Wilton. They are just one of many whom state to use glucose in thier fondant recipes. I do use glucose but not always Wilton. There are cheaper brands out in the market. Also if you must use MP you could use egg white powder found in any supermarket.
Wilton may have the bull by the horn so to speak but there are other brands out there that do the same in thier products, for the same end. Selling thier products. Sorry for the rant but the cutting down a business is getting to me. Because we as customers don't research all the different ways to do something. When we find another way to do it we blame the companies for not telling us in the first place. They are there to sell thier products.

beccakelly Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:25am
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1970

double OMGosh!! i can't believe how much $$$ i have spent on wilton ! What can i use instead of wilton meringue powder? icon_surprised.gif

if you're using MP in your bc, just leave it out. its COMPLETELY unnecessary in bc. if you're using it in royal icing, i just use egg whites, from real eggs.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:47am
post #19 of 31

The little jar/container of Glucose actually says "corn syrup". So, aparently it is just a condensed version. I did purchase a jar (knowingly) just to see the difference and it is for sure much thicker. So.... to me that is not enough to pay the price for a jar labeled "glucose".

As far as the MP, I have read several different threads where it is pointed out that it keeps the colors from bleeding (assuming you are going to color it). If that is true then it would be safe to leave it out of an "all white" cake. I dunno, haven't tried that one yet.

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:51am
post #20 of 31

Glucose is corn syrup...
I'm so ashamed cuz I'm SUCH a label reader!!!!

icon_redface.gif

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:59am
post #21 of 31

ok, so if a gal were to not buy glucose... would she want corn syrup or lite corn syrup?

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:35pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmom

ok, so if a gal were to not buy ... would she want corn syrup or lite corn syrup?

Just regular corn syrup that is clear is what I buy.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:48pm
post #23 of 31

If you are making fondant from starch, glucose will give you a much firmer result than CS, With more body. With CS is too soft for figures, I guess you'll just have to try if it works for you

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:48pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confectionary2

aparently it is just a condensed version.

As far as the MP, I have read several different threads where it is pointed out that it keeps the colors from bleeding (assuming you are going to color it).

From all the research I did on the internet a few months ago, my understanding is that glucose is a corn syrup and they can both be used: glucose is thicker, corn syrup is thinner. I've been using corn syrup since then but I bought some glucose yesterday to see how it reacts and to see if a lesser amount is needed when adding to fondants and clays.

Does anyone have the low down on the MP keeping colors from bleeding? That would be awesome if that's so. Thanks Confectionary2 for mentioning it. I'll jot that down in my "things to research" list thumbs_up.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:49pm
post #25 of 31

paolacaracas ~ we were posting at the same time. Thanks for that info on glucose in fondant thumbs_up.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:04pm
post #26 of 31

Interesting thread!

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:33pm
post #27 of 31

I'm going to have to start reading labels better. icon_eek.gif

tiffanypatton79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffanypatton79 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:17pm
post #28 of 31

thanks for letting me know, even if it is not exactally the same I can not find glucose oversea's i've tried everywhere so now i can bake bake bake icon_smile.gif

beccakelly Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:01pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confectionary2

As far as the MP, I have read several different threads where it is pointed out that it keeps the colors from bleeding (assuming you are going to color it). If that is true then it would be safe to leave it out of an "all white" cake. I dunno, haven't tried that one yet.

i color my icing all the time, and never have a problem with it bleeding, and i never use MP. the only benefit to it that i think is viable, is in a practice situation where you are piping the same icing over and over again. i've heard people mention that it helps keep the bc stable in that situation. other than that, not necessary imho.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:33pm
post #30 of 31

I was using MP all the time, but I just started forgetting it and now don't use it at all. Sometimes my colors bleed either way and sometimes they don't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%