Wedding Gown/dress Cake ? How Do You Do That

Decorating By prettycake Updated 11 Jan 2006 , 12:01am by dodibug

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 11

icon_smile.gif I like those dress/wedding gown cakes..is the "torso" (upper body) made of cake ? or is that like a "Barbie" w/ out the head ?
I think they are very beautiful if they are done right.. does anyone here knows how to do this ? I would appreciate any input and instructions.. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 11

Bump! Cause I'd like to know too!!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 11

I have done one. I used styromfoam for the top and carved the bottom from a wonder mold pan. You could also use rounds. It just depends on how full you want the skirt. I covered the bottom with two layers of fondant. I did that because I was doing pleating and it is just easier that way.
LL
LL

dodibug Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 11

That is really pretty!!!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 11

I made the top part out of fondant. I cut it to fit my cake (wonder mold). I then got a wine bottle and taped wax paper on it, then layed my piece on the bottle to make it round.. I left it there for a few hours.. It was hard, yet still movable. I then just set it on the table and closed it such in the back and let it rest for a day to harden.. I then I used icing to (glue) it on and covered the rest in Fondant brushed with luster dust.. added fondant pearls later..
LL

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HiD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HiD Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 5:16am
post #7 of 11

for a Victorian themed birthday celebration. The top of mine was styrofoam that my DH insisted on carving to the 'correct' shape. icon_redface.gif He got a bit carried away and she ended up rather chesty! The rest was gradual sized cake rounds all the way up to a 5" at the top. The bottom was either a 9" or 10".

Heidi
http://hometown.aol.com/hccakes
LL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 11

I made one for my SIL's Bridal Shower. I used a cheap dollar store 'barbie' that we cut the head off, pulled the arms off and ended up chopping the feet off so it would fit into the cake made from the wondermold pan. I covered the poor torso of the 'barbie' in black fondant and inserted it into the cake.
LL

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 11

WoW guys...those are all so beautiful!!

Hugs, ~Denise

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 11

WOW!!..Great ideas all....

dodibug Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 12:01am
post #11 of 11

Those are so pretty!!! I want to make one now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%