Your Portfolio

Decorating By fabfour Updated 5 Jan 2006 , 3:09pm by MainCake

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 10

For those of you that have a portfolio, how many catergories to you have? I am getting ready to make mine and right now I'm thinking about
Weddings
Birthday
Graduation
Sports
Anniversary

Should I separate girls and boys birthdays or childrens and adults? Are they any I'm forgetting?
Thanks

Missy

9 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemomof3

For those of you that have a portfolio, how many catergories to you have? I am getting ready to make mine and right now I'm thinking about
Weddings
Birthday
Graduation
Sports
Anniversary

Should I separate girls and boys birthdays or childrens and adults? Are they any I'm forgetting?
Thanks

Missy

I think that is a good idea, to separate the girls and boys and adults in the birthday cake sections. You might want to separate men's cakes from lady's also.
Bridal showers, baby showers, engagement cakes, baptism, first communion, sympathy cakes or a religious themed section might be useful too for bar and bat mitzvahs. You could have a special celebration section for job promotions, bon voyage cakes things like that. A section for 3D and sculpted cakes too.
Edited to add, holiday themes.
Hugs Squirrelly

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks so much, those are terrific ideas!!!

Missy

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 10

In my opinion the best way to do it is pick your best cakes first, try not to put everything just to have a lot of pictures. Going by categories is a great idea too, people don't have to go around looking for the products they need. I didn't do it like that yet just because Im not very happy with some of the pictures I have. Good luck.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 10

I keep all the pictures (well, the ones I want them to see!) in a photo album..they are not categorized though. I feel if someone is looking for a baby shower cake, for instance, there is still a good chance that someday they will need another type of cake too..so why not let them see all of them! JMHO!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

I keep all the pictures (well, the ones I want them to see!) in a photo album..they are not categorized though. I feel if someone is looking for a baby shower cake, for instance, there is still a good chance that someday they will need another type of cake too..so why not let them see all of them! JMHO!!

Heehee, good point kiddo! Mrs Missey is devious!
Hugs Squirrelly

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 10

I don't seperate my photo album. I put the 'best-most popular' cakes in the front. But I don't really have too many yet, so putting them all in one photo album isn't a problem. I think I will eventually have to do some sort of organization to it later.

But the photos I keep on my online photo album are seperated and when I'm done with my website, they will also be seperated. Here are my categories:

Children Bday
Adult Bday
Baby/Wedding Showers
Weddings/Anniversary
Holidays
Special Occasion/Novelty (Graduation, 3D, Engagement)
Cookies

I think too many categories can be a little overwhelming and most people are only going to look at the catergory that suits their needs. But a cake may be decorated for one occasion or celebration that may also work for another celebrations as well. So I tried to narrow down the categories to as few as possible.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 10

I'm with MrsMissy ... for my physical portfolio, I have a scrapbook (1 cake per page) and I just add them as I go... no particular order.

For my web site (which i need to completely re-write) I have categories... but keep them BROAD (as Pinkbunny said, many cakes can be used for a few different celebrations!)

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 10

I just have mine in a book in no particular order.

I'm like Mrs Missey, I have gotten some extra orders just from them going through the book.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 10

In my old portfolio (very old, hasn't been updated in at least 6 years) shows pictures in the order in which I made the cakes by date, if that makes sense. My very first [decorated] cake ever is on page 1, second cake made on page 2 and so on. They are not in order by type or occasion. It's a scrapbook I put together, only 1 picture on each page.

But any pictures I have taken with a digital camera are saved in separate folders on my computer by type or occasion. Wedding and anniversary cakes are together and I also have a theme/3D folder and a misc folder for those that just don't have a specific category. I also have a folder for FBCT pictures (still want to try one of those too...).

I do plan on putting together a scrapbook portfolio of all the cakes I've taken digital pictures of. I will most likely do separate categories but they will all be in the same book. The good thing about doing them in a scrapbook is that the pages can be removed or reordered if the need arises.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%