Pricing This Castle Cake????

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 28 Feb 2007 , 8:57pm by tiptop57

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:20am
post #1 of 40

This is my first attempt at a castle cake, i have to say i am quite pleased with how it turned out icon_biggrin.gif . The castle itself is all buttercream the turrets and the detail work are fondant. I have at least 30 hours and $125 in this cake. Fortunately, this cake is being donated to my sons cub scout pack for the cake auction... but i am hoping to get my name out there a bit. If i were ever to do this one again (after a good rest!!!!! LOL) what would you charge? it is 27 inches tall, almost 75 pounds, i used 18 cake mixes (no, didn't bother with scratch on this one) and 54 eggs. It was originally going to have an additional 11x15 layer at the bottom (there are 4 instead of 5) but it was sacricied to the cake gods on my kitchen floor this morning (ya, i said some PG sentances!). Thanks for your help on this one.. just trying to be prepared for the future... pricing is my least favorite part!
LL
LL
LL
LL

39 replies
jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:25am
post #2 of 40

okay, wait... that's cake??? icon_eek.gif wow! it's amazing! absoultely stunning! sorry i can't help on the pricing (i'm not too good at knowing what to charge. maybe a million $??), but holy cow!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:28am
post #3 of 40

well, at 3 x cost, it would be $375.

tho' I think it's worth even more -- like $475 or so.

----------

It is positively STUNNING....

such detail and all in BC!??!?

you totally rock!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:31am
post #4 of 40

WOW! WOW! WOW! I'd say $500?

kuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuki Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:32am
post #5 of 40

That is absolutly stone!!! Bellisimo!! I will charge at list $ 1,000.00 minimun. Seriously... Specialy if some one with money paid for it...

aandsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandsmommy Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:33am
post #6 of 40

WOW! I agree...AT LEAST $500!

Awesome job!

reneemw3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneemw3 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:35am
post #7 of 40

I am amazed. That is spectacular. I would say the 3x rule just doesn't seem to be enough. Probably 450 ish Again, what a great job.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:36am
post #8 of 40

OH MY LORD! Your Castle is the castle of all castles! Wow! It doesn't even look like a cake but more like a painting. I don't think works of this type can be priced by general standards! I would say your cake is worth at least 550.00 to 600.00. I have no expertise as a cake seller to be saying that BUT I do as a buyer of high end cakes.

You should be more than proud of this cake and I think if I were you those boy scouts would be prying this one out of my hands!! icon_biggrin.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:39am
post #9 of 40

If someone wants a cake like that they would have to pay - I would say at least $500 - $600

cakesbykitty Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:06am
post #10 of 40

wow! thanks you guys. The thought of doing another one of these right now hurts my brain but when i see that you all think it's worth what i feel it is.... it makes it all worth while.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:14am
post #11 of 40

if you're using cake mixes you can price them from 15 to 25 a box...

so at 15 bucks ....270 which would be the low end..

at 25.00 you have 450.00 those would be my "BASE" prices.

Go from there add your time and other do dads...that cake was stunning!

so yeah..anything you can get over 500 dollars would be what I'd go for...

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:15am
post #12 of 40

I just had to say WOW.....Great work!!!....Amazing!!
......priceless comes to mind!!!!!!!!

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:21am
post #13 of 40

I would definitelly charge $1000. I did a similar style for my mother-in-law's rennaissance wedding and my husband built a moat, mountain, grassy, tree base for it that was just awesome, but the work that was put into the cake, I would not want to duplicate very often unless I was compensated well enough. So aside from the cost of materials, I would say $1000 to attract only very serious buyers. You did a fabulous job on that and it is way more than anyone should have done for an auction, but I hope it raises some good funds for the boy scouts. You will definitely be the talk of the town. If you only charge $500 and don't even count your product cost, you are only paying yourself $16.50 an hour and should always try to get about $30 after supplies.

Good Luck at the auction!! thumbs_up.gif

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:23am
post #14 of 40

Oh My GOSH!! That cake is amazing!! I can't believe it's all in BC. You are one great artist!! I wouldn't charge anything under $550.

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:19am
post #15 of 40

I am still trying to pick my jaw up....... Oh my, that is one AMAZING cake. Well I have never done anything even close to elaborate as that so I am going with the pp, $400-500 easy. Great Job and you deserve alot of rest and praise for that one!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:30am
post #16 of 40

I think $1000 is more like it. For 30 hours and 18 cake mixes (that's a lot of cake)

You did a wonderful job and you should be very proud. People are going to go nuts.

How many DAYS did that take you?

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:37am
post #17 of 40

that is one beautiful cake!!! It looks like a doll castle rather than a cake! I would think nothing less than $500, but I don't really know much about pricing myself... it just seems like so much work and it is a lot of cake...

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:46am
post #18 of 40

Wow! this is an amazing cake. if i was asked to make a cake this detailed and size i wouldn't do it under 700$

heartsfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsfire Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:18am
post #19 of 40

You did a wonderful job!! Where can I put my bid in??? I have to agree with everyone else - no less than $500.

cakesbykitty Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:40am
post #20 of 40

awwww, you guys rock! Although i'm sure it will never go that high at the scout auction (just families, i will let you know what it goes for though) it is certainly nice to have an answer to give to people if they ask what i'd charge to do one for them!

purplecakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplecakediva Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:48am
post #21 of 40

WOW and I mean WOW... I wouldn't go less than $800.00 that was lots of time and effort... What an accomplishment!!! icon_biggrin.gif Hat's off to you

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:53am
post #22 of 40

That cake rivals anything you'd see from a top cake decorator. It's truly amazing work!

It's worth at least $1000--that's a whole lot of cake, a whole lot of time, and an intricate, beautiful design.

You're going places, girl!

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:13am
post #23 of 40

excellent job.... generally i price its 3times the cost but u shld charge way way higher. Totally agree with ckdcr8r that u shld charge high so tht it will attract only serious buyers.... gr8 job!!!!!

ttatummm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttatummm Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:20am
post #24 of 40

It is really an amazing cake!

That much cake, so beautiful done, $800-$1000.

doobsd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doobsd Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 9:48am
post #25 of 40

That is just a totally unreal cake I have never ever come across such a fantastic and thoroughly detailed cake!!! I would charge through the nose to just because you deserve the cash!!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 11:00am
post #26 of 40

An awesome Job . I agree with those that said $1000. Your workmanship is exquisite and I think it is equal to or better than some of those cake challenge contestants on Food Network.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:09pm
post #27 of 40

I am definitely no expert on cake pricing as I have only sold one cake so far icon_biggrin.gif , but I would charge a minimum of $750. 3 times your cost I don't think would be nearly enough since it took so much of your time to do it - AND it doesn't even look like cake. It looks like a sculpture.

WONDERFUL, BEAUTFIUL, EXCELLENT!

Jen

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:47pm
post #28 of 40

That is an awesome cake! $800 -$1000 range. It is amazing detail and in buttercream! I would love to know how much it does go for and how you get it to the auction. I woudn't want anyone touching it... maybe have the auction come to your house!!

shelleylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelleylynn Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:58pm
post #29 of 40

This cake is incredible!!!!

I agree with most of our C.C.ers 800 to 1000 easy!!!!!!

Give yourself a BIG pat on the back for that beautiful piece of work!!!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:12pm
post #30 of 40

Beautiful masterpiece, just beautiful icon_razz.gif I would have to agree, no less than $500-$700. Again Wow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%