Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Buttercream

Decorating By Jackie Updated 26 May 2016 , 8:00pm by gfbaby

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 9:17am
post #271 of 707

Sorry, all... Just having a bit of a giggle icon_lol.gif
Down here (in Oz) Viva paper towels have the deepest ridges of all the brands - I can just see myself sitting up all night to get my BC smooth!

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:53am
post #272 of 707

Buttercream made with milk does not need to be refrigerated. It has something to do with the ratio of fat to sugar that keeps it from going bad. I personally use butter, crisco, and half and half in my frosting and have never had a problem with leaving it out. Plus, as Ohmygoodies pointed out, water and oil do not like each other. I think this has a lot to do with jagged rose edges.....

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #273 of 707

I use a hi ratio, milk bc recipe. Kids have left cake out on counter in heat with no problem the sugar keeps it from spoiling so fast.

I am going to conduct an expirement and leave an iced cake out in the heat on patio and see how long it takes to go bad or melt and let you know the results. temp should be 110 with 53% humidity by 10:00 today.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:42pm
post #274 of 707

Additional tips:

To keep purple buttercream from bleeding to blue....use milk instead of water in your buttercream recipe.

when adding salt to your recipe...dissolve completely in flavoring or other liquid to avoid getting spotting of colors.

Question: Does adding vinegar to avoid cracks change the flavor of the frosting

lolo4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolo4444 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:53pm
post #275 of 707

I ve been trying to make white buttercream icing and i seem to be failing,how do i do it. any ideas?

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:08pm
post #276 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady1994

hi.has anyone ever tryed using heavy whipping in there buttercream icing.i use about 1/4 cup to my butter and crisco mix then add my powdered sugar.this cuts down on the sweet taste and it forms a good crumb coat . thumbs_up.gif

Cakelady
do you just pour in the whipping cream or do you make it to the whipping cream before adding to BC

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:29pm
post #277 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinarie

I have two cookbooks from Magnoia Bakery in NY and the buttercream recipe is yummy. It uses milk and unsalted butter. It's fluffy and tasty. I've never tried a buttercream recipe like it. I've made several. In the past I only used the Wilton buttercream recipe half butter and half shortening. It great too but sweet.

would you share your receipe from Magnoia Bakery?

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:41pm
post #278 of 707

I submitted a recipe for butter cream using the 0 trans fat crisco they came out with this year... in this recipe I use Milk and not water. I've always used milk except one time, before they changed to 0 trans fat... when I was using the old crisco and water it still didn't mix together properly (for me), so I switched to milk and it works great. I never have to keep my cakes refrigerated although I do, but you don't have to. There have been times that I haven't been able to refrigerate because of space allowed and time allowed, and the cakes were fine, tasted great, and nothing happened lol.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:51pm
post #279 of 707

I always use whipping cream in my buttercream icing. It tastes SOOO good. I don't have any problem leaving it out when I can't refrigerate.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:54pm
post #280 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo4444

I ve been trying to make white buttercream icing and i seem to be failing,how do i do it. any ideas?

Use a very small amount of violet (just the tip of a toothpick). It cancels the yellow. Don't use too much or you'll get a gray or lavender looking icing.

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:08pm
post #281 of 707

From the Magnolia Bakery in New York:

Traditional Vanilla Buttercream
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Yields icing for 1 two or three layer 9-inch cake or 24 cupcakes

Place butter in large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency (you may not need all of the sugar). If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. Use and store icing at room temperature, as icing will set if chilled. Can store in airtight container up to 3 days.

There are variations for chocolate buttercream and lemon buttercream, too, if anyone is interested.

OhMyGoodies Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:34pm
post #282 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo4444

Use a very small amount of violet (just the tip of a toothpick). It cancels the yellow. Don't use too much or you'll get a gray or lavender looking icing.

I've also found using real butter slims down on the yellowing. I've used both margarine sticks and real butter sticks and both yellow the icing but margarine gives you an ivory color lol (the 10th anny cakes used margarine instead of butter in my photos lol)

hayleyrdh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hayleyrdh Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:47am
post #283 of 707

Would you mind posting the chocolate and lemon buttercream recipes as well? Thank you!

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 6:59pm
post #284 of 707

Absolutely! Here they are:

Chocolate Buttercream from The Magnolia Bakery in NY

1 TBS + 1 TSP milk
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1 TSP vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sifted confectioners sugar

In a medium-size bowl, beat the butter until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the milk carefully and beat until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and beat well. Add the vanilla extract and beat for 3 minutes. Gradually add the sugar and beat until creamy and of desired consistency.

Note: To melt chocolate, place in a double boiler over simmering water on low heat for approximately 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally until completely smooth and no pieces of chocolate remain. Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 minutes.

Variation: Mocha Buttercream. Add 2-3 TSP instant espresso powder after adding the sugar and continue with the recipe.

This yields icing for 1 two- or three-layer 9-inch cake or 24 cupcakes.

*Notice that this calls for only 1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar. I did not mistype that. I'm not so sure about that amount, though. When I look at the Traditional Vanilla BC and Lemon BC recipes, they both call for 8 cups confectioners sugar. I'd be more apt to go with that amount than the 1 1/4 cups amount. Just bringing this to your attention.*

Lemon Buttercream from the Magnolia Bakery in NY

8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 TSP grated lemon zest

Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the juice and the zest. Beat until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. If desired, add a few drops of yellow food coloring and mix thoroughly. Use and store at room temperature.

This yields icing for 1 two- or three-layer 9-inch cake.

julie4081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julie4081 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:33pm
post #285 of 707

I use a homemade crusting buttercream. On large layers the frosting gets small cracks when transporting. How do I prevent this from happening? Also, I use a product called Light & Fluffy that I get from my cake supply store. Is this product necessary to getting a fluffy buttercream?

OhMyGoodies Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #286 of 707

Hi Julie and welcome to CC! I don't know about the light and fluffy stuff but the cracking of the bc could be due to not enough support under the cake... when you have a larger cake no matter the shape you should use either a cake drum or 2-4 cake circles/boards depending on how big and how heavy the cake is going to be. Some people transport on one cake board but have that sitting on a piece of plywood... that's how I transport heavy cakes, if I'm not staying for the party I slowly remove the plywood from the cake and gently place it on the table they choose and inform them not to move it at all... if I'm staying at the party then I just leave the wood under it until the party is over.

Lynnscakes_sc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnscakes_sc Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:45pm
post #287 of 707

I keep my Crisco in the fridge for my butter cream and then take it out right before I use it. Where I live it gets really hot & humid (even though I keep the inside of my house cool, I noticied that it does affect the icing when I have left it out of the fridge). I also use pop corn salt instead of regular table salt. The salt is much finer and disolves faster. I have never had a problem with the icing being grainy.

jsclar03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsclar03 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:48am
post #288 of 707

I Think that this article should include info on consistencies, air bubbles, and storage time.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:00am
post #289 of 707

I once worked in a craft store and we mixed our own flavorings.

BVA=1:2:1 1 part butter extract, 2 parts clear vanilla, 1 part almond

(the almond was creamy)

Between this flavor combination and a pinch of salt. I get plenty of compliments on my butter cream.

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:51am
post #290 of 707

i just made julie's less sweet buttercream...how long do i have to wait for it to crust?? thanks!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #291 of 707

someone ask why buttercream gets bubbles...Well the reason is cause is you over beat the buttercream in a high speed setting it will create inside bubble inside the buttercream...
There is no way ogf getting ridd of this after they are there...
So the best way to do your icing is ...First sift your sugar...cream the crisco and add the extract and then in the lowest setting trying to use a paddle not the whipped attachment(whipped attachment brings more air into it) Then add the powdered sugar(lowest speed pls) and as soon as all the sugar is there..stop the machine and finish by hand...
Add color by hand.. over mixing will bring more air into the buttercream..

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:17pm
post #292 of 707

mbarbi ~

It should be ready to smooth (crusted) in 15 min.

Julie

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:38am
post #293 of 707

I was using heavy cream there for a bit and then switched back to milk, and now that you mention it, I do think it cuts the sweet a bit....because of late I have thought my frosting too sweet. Thanks
I cut it with bottled water for crumb coat. icon_lol.gif

lnb19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lnb19 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #294 of 707

Here is my issue with crusting buttercream. I LOVE the smooth appearance that it has on cakes, however, I think that in most cases, it is TOO sweet. Maybe this has already been answered in the 20 pages before this, but I will ask anyway. Does anyone have a great recipe for buttercream that is not super sweet but still 1) crust well 2) taste great and 3) is creamy? I tried the Buttercream dream recipe from this site and while I love the fact that it crust well and is creamy, I think it's very sweet.

lnb19 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm
post #295 of 707

Here is my issue with crusting buttercream. I LOVE the smooth appearance that it has on cakes, however, I think that in most cases, it is TOO sweet. Maybe this has already been answered in the 20 pages before this, but I will ask anyway. Does anyone have a great recipe for buttercream that is not super sweet but still 1) crust well 2) taste great and 3) is creamy? I tried the Buttercream dream recipe from this site and while I love the fact that it crust well and is creamy, I think it's very sweet.

lnb19 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm
post #296 of 707

madgeowens Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:12pm
post #297 of 707

1 stick of salted butter
1 cup shortening
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp meringue powder
4 cups of confectioner sugar
add Tbs of milk or heavy cream until it reaches desired consistancy

My family loves this frosting, but as far as sweetness everyone has different likes and dislikes. Try it....you can always use less sugar...good luck!

lnb19 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm
post #298 of 707

Thanks! I will try it. Quick question...if I use less sugar, will the buttercream still crust?????

madgeowens Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #299 of 707

That you will have to use trial and error....I am not real accurate with my sugar...mine always crusts, if I do not use too much liquid. I think if it looks runny it won't. Let me know how you like it. icon_smile.gif

suzanne45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzanne45 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:55pm
post #300 of 707

I am a novice, and I keep reading about people using viva paper towels to smooth out icing (?)
For you experts out there, can you describe in detail the best method to smooth out icing on top and sides of a cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%