Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Buttercream

Decorating By Jackie Updated 26 May 2016 , 8:00pm by gfbaby

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 2:18am
post #211 of 707

I have the same problem, with the buttercream...Cracking. It looks like it is too dry. But I follow the Wilton recipe and now I add less Merigane. Does everyone use that recipe? the WIlton one, that you learn in their classes? or is there an easier one, for smoothing and no cracking.
I know it is my icing, and not my bases cause I always use the thick drum ones. Thanks....nicole

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:05pm
post #212 of 707

I still have not found the answer to my question of "Can I freeze my extra BC?" I have a few colors from a cake I did this weekend and would like to know - javascript:emoticon('icon_rolleyes.gif') Thanks!
Rebeca

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:08pm
post #213 of 707

Yes, I freeze my bc all the time. I always remix it before using, just to bring it back to life a little.

debdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debdiva Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:09am
post #214 of 707

Jackie~

You might want to go to the Jelly Belly site to get some ideas of what flavors to mix to get other flavors. Hope that helps in some way icon_wink.gif

Debbie

sweettart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettart Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:41am
post #215 of 707

Ok, does anyone know how long a dried bc rose is edible for when made with purchased/packaged bc. I'm trying to figure out how far in advance I can make them to be placed on a weding cake ?

Thanks

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 4:23am
post #216 of 707

nicoles-a-tryin

I am new to this whole thing, but I tried a recipe from a Toba Garrett book last night, and for my inexperienced hands, it was not hard to work with and smoothed well (though the cake was still somewhat uneven, that's a result of inexperience, not the recipe).

cakebaker_cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker_cakemaker Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:48am
post #217 of 707

Just a question about the Wilton buttercream..

I find it is very grainy. Am I doing something wrong? I feel it's the sugar not being dissolved, maybe I'm not mixing it in long enough.

Any help would be appreciated.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 11:49pm
post #218 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker_cakemaker

Just a question about the Wilton buttercream..

I find it is very grainy. Am I doing something wrong? I feel it's the sugar not being dissolved, maybe I'm not mixing it in long enough.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cakebaker-cakemaker

The two things that may be making your BC grainy are 1) your sugar may need to be sifted before it is added. or 2) you may need to mix a minute or two longer.

I also just thought to mention that adding the sugar gradually instead of all at once helps a lot to reduce graininess as well.

I hope this helps you out a little.

constable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
constable Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 12:03am
post #219 of 707

I have a question, I live in North East Australia where it is very hot and humid and we can't get Crisco, can anyone tell me a recipe for buttercream that won't melt in the hot weather and doesn't need Crisco?

cakebaker_cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker_cakemaker Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:54pm
post #220 of 707

Hi Constable

I can't get crisco either in Western Australia. I have been able to get Cream cup which was suggested to me by another Aussie CC member. It works a treat. I bought it from a cake decorating shop near to me. Maybe you could try to find some near you.

There are some other Aussie members who know a lot more than me so I'm sure they will answer your quetion with more info than I can give.

sharonjean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonjean Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:54pm
post #221 of 707

I found if I make my butttercream a few hours or day before it is easy to work with. I always sift my powdered sugar, I've had clogged tips to many times before I started sifting. I watch food network and have learned so much.
I also let my cake sit overnight to firm up.

Sharon icon_smile.gif

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 11:35pm
post #222 of 707

How about an evaluation of some brands of RTU buttercream including taste, consistency, etc

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 11:49pm
post #223 of 707

Lauree, if your cakes are cracking when you move them, even from one place to another, you most likely need to have a stiffer base under it. Something that won't bend or shift at all. I glue 3 cake boards together and that seems to do the trick. Since I started doing that, no more cracking. Hope this helps.
PSue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauree

I haven't read all the way through the posts yet, but how about covering "tips on preventing cracking"-I'm having that problem now, at least on my last 2 cakes-I love the Viva towel method-discovered by accident, then started really getting into reading in the forums and it's actually a method. I don't think I'll use anything else for smoothness, but what to do about the cracking!?! Help!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:01pm
post #224 of 707

When I make buttercream, I always add about a 1/4tsp of kosher salt to the liquid I'm using (usually water and vanilla) and let it dissolve completely, about 3-4 oz of good white chocolate and un-salted sweet cream butter (tends to be very light, not yellow). I dont sift the powdered sugar, just knead it in the bag really good. I've never had a lump problem this way. I'll fill my KA till it's over the top of the paddle. This keeps the air out. The salt and chocolate seem to take away that weird sweetness so I can use more of it on my cakes, which I like to do.

dyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyna Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:17pm
post #225 of 707

I'd prefer the water added then the milk,You can save up to 2 weeks I think .So,if you need that color in another dessert it 's still good as, for milk added the time is very limited.

Aarthy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aarthy Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:27pm
post #226 of 707

Hi everybody,
Im new to this forum. I need help in making a good buttercream frosting. I read lot of articles about making buttercream... I tried wilton's, if I use half butter and half shortening... it becomes hard when I store the frosted cake inside the fridge. I tried all shortening it forms ice crystals on the frosting.... Can anybody help me solve this problem? Can somebody share your reciepe?? I m looking for a less greasy and less sugary one.

Thank you

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 2:37am
post #227 of 707

PennySue, your recipe sounds really good but, does it hold up good? Say, if I wanted to make a cake a day or two ahead of time?
Thanks !!

jessield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessield Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:36am
post #228 of 707

I make an Almond Buttercream that seems to over real well. The only disadvantage is that it calls for whipping cream, but it is delicious!!!

Hcustomcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hcustomcakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:03am
post #229 of 707

What paper towels are the best for smoothing? And thanks for the heads up on the heavy whipping cream, i am going to try it tomorrow! icon_lol.gif

collins563 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
collins563 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:58am
post #230 of 707

How long is it OK to allow a cake covered in buttercream to sit out? I know that there is a lot of advise on how long it can be stored in the fridge and alternatives for hot and humid weather, but how long is OK for it to be out in normal conditions?

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:14pm
post #231 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuff

No problem, pkcakes.

In regards to the high ratio shortening. You should be able to find that at your local cake decorating store. It would be under the brand name of Sweetex or Alpine shortening.

Now if we could just get the answer to that icing base question. icon_confused.gif

ok, I live in NJ and asked around about this hi ratio ... does that mean no trans fat? And do you use icing base instead of meringue?

flowersvt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowersvt Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:46am
post #232 of 707

Hello, I've been decorating cakes off and on as a hobby for years. I was just curious....Does anyone use a butter cream with just butter and no crisco? I've done it several times and granted it is a little harder to work with becasue it's not as stiff, but the flavor is so much better!!! In fact, since my BIL found out that the icing on cakes were mostly shortening, he won't touch the icing. So, I have come to make it with just butter. I would love to hear from anyone who uses it with just butter and what their experience is. I hope that the information would be included with the article about buttercream. Thanks!

Tess

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:05am
post #233 of 707

I use just butter as well. It is harder to work with, very tempermental, but I too, love the flavor.

Dimples03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dimples03 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:31pm
post #234 of 707

I currently use an all butter BC icing, too. I'm looking into doing one that mixes some shortening in, though, because of the summer/heat/humidity. My icing gets great reviews right now, though, so I'm worried about changing it.

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:11am
post #235 of 707

BUMP!
icon_biggrin.gif
i am making the australian version of "buttercream" which is sugar butter and a little hot water. What is it called over there?
My question is how long will something like that last out of the fridge?
Do i ice today for a party tomorrow or wait till morning?
My cake it turning out so well i'm hanging to finish it to show everyone!
thanks
ginger x

nelly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelly27 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 3:34am
post #236 of 707

i carnt find where i seen the method of smoothing using a roller, can anyone help

CreativeDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeDelights Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #237 of 707

I just stumbled across this thread....it's great! But i've got a quick question, that maybe someone can give me a synopsis of what all has been said:
I'm looking for a good BC to make roses. Right now I've been using the Wilton BC recipe (all Crisco w/meringue powder yuck!) and I just cannot stand the taste of the meringue powder. I've seen someone suggest using flour instead... but I'm wondering how much? Anyhow, someone PLEASE give me a great recipe (and some tips too!) on how to make beautiful flavorful roses. Thanks ahead.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:05am
post #238 of 707

i just made a fabulous CBC...
i used the recipe below but only made a HALF batch and when i weighed the powdered sugar instead of 1lb i used 14oz PLUS 2oz of cocoa powder (to make a pound) and i also added 1 teaspoon of meringue powder - it tastes FABULOUS if i may say so myself - i have yet to ice the cake, i will do that in the morning...i DID mix it for a long time (on the lowest setting of my kitchenaid), but it seems fine (not sure what over mixing results in?)...

Crusting Buttercream Icing (VIVA Method)
Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time:
Category: Frostings
Difficulty: Easy

I stumbled across this recipe online and I love it. Very creamy and makes decorations beautifully. Got best results with the VIVA paper towel method!
2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 cup or 1 stick butter, softened.
1-1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening
2 tbsp. clear vanilla extract
1/3 cup water for icing cake -OR- 1/4 cup for stiff consistency.
1/4 tsp. almond extract (i used extra vanilla - not almond)

Cream butter, shortening, and extracts until creamy and smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and water. Mix thoroughly on medium speed for hand mixers, low speed for stand mixers, until smooth and creamy. Do not overmix or mix on high speed.
For whiter icing, use butter without dye (health food stores)
For stiffer icing, use 1/4 cup of water instead of 1/3 cup.
If you live where it is humid, you can add 1-2 tbsp. meringue powder.

Let set for 15 minutes before smoothing with a VIVA paper towel.
Icing can be refrigerated for 2 weeks in an airtight container. Iced cake can sit at room temp. for 2-3 days.

*Any flowers made with this recipe remain soft enough to be cut with a knife.*
Source: "Karen
Contributed by: RaRaRobyn on Monday, December 19. 2005 at 07:45:20

Ishynooshy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishynooshy Posted 4 May 2007 , 1:16pm
post #239 of 707

Is there a bc, that I can use to make roses but without any shortening. There isnt really any shortening (or great cake decorating materials)that I can get here in Australia unless I take a 2.5 hr ride. (*sigh* the life of a teenage outcast)

It's so hard to practise trying to make the little buggers with an all butter buttercream. (All butter with PS was pretty difficult, I don't know why I thought I could do it with SMBC. LOL)

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 4 May 2007 , 9:08pm
post #240 of 707

Ishynooshy, I've yet to hear of that type of butter cream. Here's a bump to see if anyone else knows; perhaps someone from Australia will know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%