Wanted: A Fluffy Moist Cake.

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 25 Jan 2006 , 5:09am by auntiecake

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 1:10am
post #1 of 21

I posted earlier asking everyone which they use, butter or margarine for their cakes. I asked this question because I have been using exclusively butter and I can't make a nice fluffy moist cake to save my life. Before I started my new hobby of cake decorating I would go to the store and buy a cake mix and make it. It was always fluffy and moist. Now that I am trying to get a nice cake I can't seem to do it. I've tried scratch cakes and doctored cake mix (which I messed by adding too much butter). How long did it take y'all to find that perfect cake recipe? And could ya share it with me??? lol

20 replies
Lazy_Susan Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 2:23am
post #2 of 21

Just bumping me back up since I had no response yet icon_smile.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 2:28am
post #3 of 21

hiya susan,
all i can say is if you have your best success using mixes then i say go fer it. With all the new flavors out there, i don't think you'll have a prob finding one that you like. It all comes down to personal preference. If you like mix cakes better than scratch, than all is well and good. It's what makes you happy!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 2:40am
post #4 of 21

I am a Pillsbury girl. I love the way they turn out. I use the white mix alot and doctor from there. Someone on here had given me a basic recipe (not an extender) and it has been great. It's just the mix, small box of instant pudding mix (dealer's choice), 1/2 c. oil, 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 1/4 c. milk/water mixture, 1 tsp vanilla or other extract (again your choice depending on what you are making). Bake at 350 until cake springs back in the middle.
You will get 4-4.5 c of batter with this recipe, sometimes 5 but not often!

Hope this helps!

Lazy_Susan Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 2:45am
post #5 of 21

Thanks! I was also wondering if maybe my oven isn't getting to the right temperature. We are in a new place and I have noticed that everything I bake takes longer. What do you think? Could that cause a dense dry cake?

dodibug Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 2:47am
post #6 of 21

For the little money an oven thermometer costs, it saves soooo much in frustration! I think I paid 5 bucks at Wal-mart!

Lazy_Susan Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 2:49am
post #7 of 21

So do you think that might possibly be my problem?

dodibug Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 2:54am
post #8 of 21

It could be-anything baked for a long time dries out. Think about those poor chicken breasts that become hockey pucks when you over cook them! icon_lol.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 2:56am
post #9 of 21

lol dodibug icon_smile.gif)

Lazy_Susan Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 4:08am
post #10 of 21

Question: Do cakes need to return to room temperature after freezing them before you put icing on them?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 5:35am
post #11 of 21

Hi Susan, I let mine thaw slightly, just so they aren't so cold that the icing can't stick.

I use mostly Duncan Hines mixes in which I use 4 eggs, 1/3 cup Crisco Oil, 1 package Dream Whip (or Kroger's brand which is less expensive) and 1 cup water. Sometimes I use 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sour cream if I want the cake slightly more dense.

I also usually use the baking strips on my pans, they help the cakes not dry out so much, especially around the edges. HTH Janice

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 21

Susan, I do partially thaw my cakes to avoid the colored from fading out from the moisture. They also can expand when thawing causing little cracks. I have noticed this expecially on sheet cakes. Sometimes I crumb coat sheet cakes and then frost them when they thaw or partially, wedding cakes also Good Luck

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 21

I love Pillsbury mixes AND bake even strips. I'm very satisfied the way they come out ... fluffy and moist.

auntiecake Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 2:15am
post #14 of 21

I prefer Duncan Hines mixes. I use jumbo eggs and add extra oil and flavoring. I also bake at 325 degrees. It seems to rise more evenly and be more moist. I also like the strips, especially for larger cakes.

poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 2:23am
post #15 of 21

Do you use the whole egg or just the whites in a cake mix. The mix I have said to use egg white. but I used the whole eggs can that be why my cakes domes?

poppie Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 2:24am
post #16 of 21

Do you use the whole egg or just the whites in a cake mix. The mix I have said to use egg white. but I used the whole eggs can that be why my cakes domes?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 12:58pm
post #17 of 21

Poppy,
Use the whole egg ... even on white cake. If your cakes are doming, use bake-even strips. You can even make your own. Take a long strip of 100% cotton thick fabric ... a towel is good. Mine is a very old quilted cotton strip. Wet the strip with cold water and wrap around the cake pan. I use binder clips to hold mine on. You'll see a huge difference in the way the cake rises, also, the cake is much moister.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 1:15pm
post #18 of 21

Well we all have a different opinion, but personally I find that using just the egg whites with a white cake mix, I prefer the texture of the cake. I also use whole milk in any cake mix, usually an instant pudding too. most times also 1/2 cup sour cream. Generally you will get more doming with using milk in a white cake mix though, so don't fill the pans as much. Don't overfill your pans, the Wilton guidelines for batter amounts are pretty good for cake mixes.
Hugs Squirrelly

nlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nlh Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:20pm
post #19 of 21

Your oven tempature and cake pans can make a huge difference. Make sure you know exactly what temp your oven is, and if it's still dry do not bake it as long.

poppie Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:48am
post #20 of 21

Thank you for all the help I always get on cc. Poppie

auntiecake Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:09am
post #21 of 21

Poppie
I use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites in Classic White Duncan Hines. I use 3 whole eggs in the French Vanilla and chocolate. Those are jumbo eggs. Try turning the temperature of your oven down to 335. Baking slower sometimes helps it to rise more evenly. The baking strips that you can get from Wilton also help that problem. They make the cake bake more evenly. You can make these too by folding strips of sheet a few times and SOAKING them in cold water before putting them aroung the pan. Fasten w/Tpin or safety pins. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%